Bengals Strengths, Weakness, Optimism, Concerns, etc

Mind Character

I'm trying to figure out what we're up against with the Bengals this year.

Beyond the draft and the obvious things (AJ Green and Burflict are ballers).I don't have any real understanding of this years teams':

1. Strengths,

2. Weakness,

3. Positional groups that could go either way,

4. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, new attitude, rumors etc) for optimism as it team success,

5. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, locker room attitudes, rumors etc) for concern as it relates to team success

With that in mind, I'd love the chance to get perspectives from the Bengals faithful. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm trying to figure out what we're up against with the Bengals this year.

Beyond the draft and the obvious things (AJ Green and Burflict are ballers).I don't have any real understanding of this years teams':

1. Strengths,

2. Weakness,

4. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, new attitude, rumors etc) for optimism as it team success,

5. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, locker room attitudes, rumors etc) for concern as it relates to team success

With that in mind, I'd love the chance to get perspectives from the Bengals faithful. Thanks.

1.The biggest strength is there having 3 quality running backs in Bernard, Hill, and Mixon. Also the Weapons in the passing game with Green, Eifert, Boyd, Ross, and Lafell. And having quality depth in almost every position.

2.The entire offensive line, especially there LT and RT with Ogbuehi and Fisher. Dalton and Marvin Lewis's track record in primetime games. Can the DL do better against the run and getting to the QB?

3.The LB's are loaded, but need to reach expectations. Secondary at CB is deep, but the S's are getting injured.

4.Adding more weapons on the offense in both the passing and run game. Lots of young talent on the defense. Experienced coaching.

5.The offensive line must replace Whitworth and Zeitler. Burfict and Jones have attitude problems, and can Mixon not become part of that problem. Marvin Lewis in a lame duck year.

On 8/20/2017 at 0:54 PM, MrCincinnati said:

1.The biggest strength is there having 3 quality running backs in Bernard, Hill, and Mixon. Also the Weapons in the passing game with Green, Eifert, Boyd, Ross, and Lafell. And having quality depth in almost every position.

2.The entire offensive line, especially there LT and RT with Ogbuehi and Fisher. Dalton and Marvin Lewis's track record in primetime games. Can the DL do better against the run and getting to the QB?

3.The LB's are loaded, but need to reach expectations. Secondary at CB is deep, but the S's are getting injured.

4.Adding more weapons on the offense in both the passing and run game. Lots of young talent on the defense. Experienced coaching.

5.The offensive line must replace Whitworth and Zeitler. Burfict and Jones have attitude problems, and can Mixon not become part of that problem. Marvin Lewis in a lame duck year.

Appreciate your perspective and insight. This helps paint a clearer picture

@Mind Character

1. Strengths,
Compared to the average, i think they have a positional strength at QB.  Dalton has taken large strides in recent years.  I also think in general they're strong at the skill positions.  They also have a big competition for the last couple of DL spots.  I think they'll be much better there than last year.

2. Weakness,
Offensive line is the big one.  They're truly bad there.  An average season out of that group would be a big blessing to the team.
They're also a little thin at LB after Burfict.  They're all solid role player vets or unproven young guys.  I don't really trust them.

LB is the big one, for reasons stated above.  With Eifert's injury history and Uzomah on the shelf atm, the TE position could be a little iffy as the season goes on.

The draft appears solid, and some rookies have been very good in training camp/preseason.  The team didn't blow it up after a bad year, and i think that will pay dividends.  The coaching staff has preached that they're not just giving jobs to the aging vets anymore and that better young guys will displace those useless older guys.

5. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, locker room attitudes, rumors etc) for concern as it relates to team success
Even though the staff has preached competition, we're still incumbent starters being given starting roles and all the first team reps in practice/games (talking about Bodine @ C, Michael Johnson @ DE, and Jeremy Hill @ RB).  Also, the offensive line could quickly derail this season if Dalton gets killed back there.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:09 PM, theJ said:

@Mind Character

1. Strengths,
Compared to the average, i think they have a positional strength at QB.  Dalton has taken large strides in recent years.  I also think in general they're strong at the skill positions.  They also have a big competition for the last couple of DL spots.  I think they'll be much better there than last year.

2. Weakness,
Offensive line is the big one.  They're truly bad there.  An average season out of that group would be a big blessing to the team.
They're also a little thin at LB after Burfict.  They're all solid role player vets or unproven young guys.  I don't really trust them.

LB is the big one, for reasons stated above.  With Eifert's injury history and Uzomah on the shelf atm, the TE position could be a little iffy as the season goes on.

The draft appears solid, and some rookies have been very good in training camp/preseason.  The team didn't blow it up after a bad year, and i think that will pay dividends.  The coaching staff has preached that they're not just giving jobs to the aging vets anymore and that better young guys will displace those useless older guys.

5. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, locker room attitudes, rumors etc) for concern as it relates to team success
Even though the staff has preached competition, we're still incumbent starters being given starting roles and all the first team reps in practice/games (talking about Bodine @ C, Michael Johnson @ DE, and Jeremy Hill @ RB).  Also, the offensive line could quickly derail this season if Dalton gets killed back there.

Thanks for the helpful info, theJ...Much appreciated

Yeah...from the outside looking in I never really considered the Bengals TE position being boom/boost...but Eifert is scary good when healthy..

Archived