2 point conversions

Pool

2 point conversions  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What's your thoughts?

• I love it! Stay aggressive! It's a new era of football!
    • I'm ok with it. I think. Sometimes.
    • I'm a traditionalist. Kick the dang xp!

What's your take? I think its awesome and is going to be a big part of this new era of football we are seeing. However, I'm really glad we won today or I think we would have seen all the pundits ripping Nagy for going for 2.

Nice topic, Pool. About time somebody brought this up. I voted that I'm against Nagy's new infatuation with the 2pt. conversion, but not because I'm a traditionalist. From a strategic viewpoint, there are a lot of advantages to what he's been up to--but there's a much bigger chance of injury to an important player by going for two so much. I hope this turns out to be a gameplan wrinkle, rather than a trend. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Nice topic, Pool. About time somebody brought this up. I voted that I'm against Nagy's new infatuation with the 2pt. conversion, but not because I'm a traditionalist. From a strategic viewpoint, there are a lot of advantages to what he's been up to--but there's a much bigger chance of injury to an important player by going for two so much. I hope this turns out to be a gameplan wrinkle, rather than a trend. 

Nagy isn’t going to stop doing this because it’s one more offensive player and that could result in a bad injury. If that’s the case, throw it deep every play and keep the guys off of the field as much as possible.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Nagy isn’t going to stop doing this because it’s one more offensive player and that could result in a bad injury. If that’s the case, throw it deep every play and keep the guys off of the field as much as possible.

No offense dude, but I'm not following...

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh.

Huh.

Weird. I don't see how the percentage of success with those plays would override all other concerns. 

What are “all other concerns?” Besides a potential injury, what other concerns are there?

Once again, if they go for two 4 times in a game and convert twice, it’s the same as going 4/4 on 4 xp’s.

You are going to not go for two here and there because a player MIGHT get hurt? A player MIGHT get hurt on every down. What’s the solution to those plays?

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What are “all other concerns?” Besides a potential injury, what other concerns are there?

Once again, if they go for two 4 times in a game and convert twice, it’s the same as going 4/4 on 4 xp’s.

You are going to not go for two here and there because a player MIGHT get hurt? A player MIGHT get hurt on every down. What’s the solution to those plays?

Skill players aren't out there for every extra point. Other concerns include designing plays, etc. But--potential injury is more than enough.

Any reason why one more point pushes all that other stuff to the background? Is Nagy the first genius to realize he should forget about extra points? Why did they end up kicking one today? (Really curious about that last one). 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Skill players aren't out there for every extra point. Other concerns include designing plays, etc. But--potential injury is more than enough.

Any reason why one more point pushes all that other stuff to the background? Is Nagy the first genius to realize he should forget about extra points? Why did they end up kicking one today? (Really curious about that last one). 

A concern is designing plays? Really? You’re telling me that designing plays from the 2 yard line is not only time consuming but concerning? If your answer is no, then we’re back down to one concern and that’s injury.

They ended up kicking one today because 1) it made sense due to the difference in the score and 2) he isn’t going to do this after every touchdown. Maybe you really think that and it’s driving you insane, but he hasn’t been and won’t do that.

No, he isn’t the first “genius.” Mike Tomlin did a lot when the xp rule changed. Other coaches around the league do it every now and again, too.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

A concern is designing plays? Really? You’re telling me that designing plays from the 2 yard line is not only time consuming but concerning? If your answer is no, then we’re back down to one concern and that’s injury.

They ended up kicking one today because 1) it made sense due to the difference in the score and 2) he isn’t going to do this after every touchdown. Maybe you really think that and it’s driving you insane, but he hasn’t been and won’t do that.

No, he isn’t the first “genius.” Mike Tomlin did a lot when the xp rule changed. Other coaches around the league do it every now and again, too.

Well. sure design is a concern on the goal line plays, especially when you run a diverse offense like Nagy does. And again, injury should be enough of a detractor anyway.

If Nagy isn't going to go for two after every touchdown, as I previously predicted, and you disagreed with, what are you going on about?

Tomlin stopped. Other coaches do it "now and again"? Why "now and again", and not all the time? What is your argument? Is there one? 

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well. sure design is a concern on the goal line plays, especially when you run a diverse offense like Nagy does. And again, injury should be enough of a detractor anyway.

If Nagy isn't going to go for two after every touchdown, as I previously predicted, and you disagreed with, what are you going on about?

Tomlin stopped. Other coaches do it "now and again"? Why "now and again", and not all the time? What is your argument? Is there one? 

So you think that Nagy is up at night taking mental time away from everything else to think of creativity on the goal line? I think he already has those plays in the playbook. I don’t think he has two point conversion plays, specifically.

The point? The first thing I can think of is to score more points. The next would be that I don’t think he’s 100% comfortable with Parkey while I think he’s 100% comfortable with his playcalling and his team, and therefore 2 points is better than 0.

Why not every time? Because today they were up 2 and an xp gets them up 3 in a tight game so he took the xp.

I don't have them handy nor am I going to try and go find them, but a analysis I read a couple of years ago said it generates more points than just kicking it. It's part of the school of going for it on 4th down, instead of punting. I mean 4th and 3 from your own 37 type fourth downs.

Other possible benefits is that your offense gets more 'game speed' reps on goal line and fourth and short situations, you tire out the defense an additional play, and it's got to get into the head of many opposing coaches. I'd imagine Fox would have to be given tranquilizers if someone kept going for two against him.

It worked in the Vikings game, and could have seriously backfired in the Lions game had Matt Patricia not stupidly decided to go for 2 after scoring a TD in the 3Q to take the lead.  There was no need for Patricia to do that as they still would have been up by more than a FG had they just kicked the XP....Doh

I don't real know what to think of this strategy just yet but I think Nagy is smart enough to know what he's doing.

Just for clarity, my recall has the Bears at 3/4 conversions and Cody Parkey has missed 2 XPs, so the current match says you're likely to score more points (2 pts converting at 75%) than you are doing 1pt at 94%

League wide, teams now regularly convert more than half their 2pt tries, which is wild, so I think more teams may end up treating the 2 pt conversion as the new normal. That said, I like it best when they first weigh the math and if the XP is what you need to put a score between you and your opponent, kick it!

The increase in offensive scoring is going to have lots of weird effects on the game that we're only beginning to appreciate. 

Archived