The Lion King - (2019)

RamRod

31 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but if it hasn't already been stated, let me be the first to say, I did not enjoy Beyonce's singing at all in this movie.

As for the overall film, I was a little hesitant going in because of the poor reviews, but I see where they were coming from. If this was a standalone film, I think it would be fine, but because we have a point of reference back to the original animated film - a lot of things just don't compare. From the lack of facial expressions to the simplified dialogue and songs, it just seemed devoid of the heart that truly made the original. I will say though, I thought the majority of the actors they got for voices were incredibly on point:

Billy Eichner
Seth Rogen
Donald Glover
Keegan-Michael Key
Eric Andre
John Oliver
James Earl Jones

Only few voice I didn't like overall were Beyonce, Chiwetel Ejiofor and guy that played Rafiki.

Don't get me wrong, this was an incredible visual spectacle, but as an overall film it was lacking, imo.

6.5/10

I thought Donald Glover was awful. It felt like he had no idea what emotion to portray in any given scene. I say this as a fan of his since his Derrickcomedy days.

Just finished watching it and I loved it. When the intro started the kid inside me wasn’t jumping with joy. The visuals were amazing and I didn’t get the pacing complaints at all.

Only issues I had was hearing Beyoncé’s voice and thought “can you feel the love tonight” could’ve been better.

- Both Glover and Beyonce were terrible choices for adult Simba and Nala. 
- Instead of having him re-enact the lines, they should've just used James Earl Jones' voice from the original. He just felt uninspired this time. He's old so that's expected. Just sucked because the "you deliberately disobeyed me" line from the original was epic and this time it could've easily been missed.
- They should've brought back Jeremy Irons as Scar. Anybody know why they didn't?
- Like others have said, it didn't have the same feel. You couldn't get the sense of emotion from the Lions like the original due to the realism.
- Eichner and Rogen were perfect as Timon and Pumba.
- The hyenas, which were awesome in the original, just didn't have the same affect. The personalities that made them great in the original was just lost in translation here.
- More Rafiki was needed. I hate that they cut out the "it doesn't matter, it's in dah past" part where he hits Simba over the head with his staff. 

Overall, it was decent and really really good to look at but just didn't have the same affect as the original. I was completely disinterested until Timon and Pumba came along. They saved the movie for me.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

- They should've brought back Jeremy Irons as Scar. Anybody know why they didn't?

My guess is because he's white.

I agree about Beyonce. I just don't get her thing and why she's some goddess to so many fans around the world.