Week 12 GDT: Seahawks (5-5) @ Panthers (6-4)

iknowcool

Even though this is only a 1PM game, it is probably the biggest one this week in regards to playoff implications.  Saints are winning the division, so that is out of the question.  Here are all the teams that will be affected by Sunday's game.

Redskins (6-5, currently the 7th seed):  They hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over us.  In the event we lost, Panthers, Seahawks, and Redskins would be a 6-5.  I'm too lazy to figure out who comes ahead in the tiebreaker there but it probably wouldn't be good for us.

Vikings (5-4-1, currently the 6th seed): If we lose and the Vikings win, they will have leaped us.  They play the Packers at home this week, so it should be a close one.  

Packers (4-5-1, currently the 8th seed): They are gonna need a lot to go their way, but them winning would change a lot.  Assuming we lost, the Seahawks and Redskins would leapfrog the Vikings and Panthers.

Eagles (4-6, currently the 10th seed): We hold the tiebreaker over them and they are more than likely done with one more loss, but who knows.  Plus they play the Giants this week.

Falcons are losing right now to the Saints so they are probably finished too.  But yeah... this game is huge.  If we lose, it's gonna be hard for us to make the playoffs with 2 games left against the Saints.  If we win, that would be a huge boon.  I think we could beat the Bucs and Browns and that would have us at 9-4 entering the Falcons game.

Kickers the easy target, but this game shouldn't have come down to a 52-yard FG. No pass rush, poor redzone execution cost us. Probably need a game off the Saints to make the playoffs, don't see that happening unless they gift us week 17.

4 minutes ago, James said:

Kickers the easy target, but this game shouldn't have come down to a 52-yard FG. No pass rush, poor redzone execution cost us. Probably need a game off the Saints to make the playoffs, don't see that happening unless they gift us week 17.

It shouldn't have, but the Panthers play-calling on those last 3 downs were as if they were settling for that.  A run, a play-action pass out of a 2 TE set to Olsen (who hasn't done much), and a short dump off pass to Moore.  Ridiculous considering how easy we had been moving the ball on them in the air throughout the game.

But yeah the redzone woes hurt us a lot too.  Redskins are in ahead of us as of now even if the Vikings lose tonight, but no way they win many more games so we are still the #6 seed if you want to look at it that way.  But I don't see us making the playoffs.  I'm not sure we'll beat the Saints once, much less twice.  

Just now, Dingo18287 said:

Get he’s like the 4th or 5th corner, but what was Corn Elder doing on that deep TD throw on 4th down? 

Yeah, if he looks for it at all its an easy breakup. Jackson getting hurt on the first play was one of the more impactful parts of the game, but blaming a loss on one injury is pretty lame.

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It shouldn't have, but the Panthers play-calling on those last 3 downs were as if they were settling for that.  A run, a play-action pass out of a 2 TE set to Olsen (who hasn't done much), and a short dump off pass to Moore.  Ridiculous considering how easy we had been moving the ball on them in the air throughout the game.

But yeah the redzone woes hurt us a lot too.  Redskins are in ahead of us as of now even if the Vikings lose tonight, but no way they win many more games so we are still the #6 seed if you want to look at it that way.  But I don't see us making the playoffs.  I'm not sure we'll beat the Saints once, much less twice.  

I'm always one for making the playoffs even if there's no chance to really make a run, but this might be a year where its better if we didn't. We'd have a decent shot at beating the Bears or Cowboys/Redskins, so between that and how congested the wildcard race is, making the playoffs could bump us down 8-10 spots in the draft. We're so desperately in need of some new talent on the front 7.

Somewhat unrelated, but I had a realization during the game. Wes Horton is the Amini Silatolu of our defense. Not really good at anything, but the coaches like him so he gets a lot of time.

Yea, Wes Horton sucks.  It's crazy how he not only makes the team every year but gets a lot of playing time too.

Honestly, I'd all be for paying big bucks for Jadeveon Clowney.  We badly need an edge rusher.  Addison isn't terrible but he's not a consistent every-down edge player.  

So many good DL prospects though.  I wouldn't be 100% opposed to trading up for Oliver or Bosa, even if it cost us a 2020 1st round pick.  We're straight every position other than edge rusher and maybe safety if we don't re-sign Reid (assuming we re-sign Daryl Williams for cheap and move Moton to left tackle), so I think it'd be worth it.  But there's guys outside of them too.

Archived