Its Time to Bench Adrian Peterson

MKnight82

Peterson's a future HOFer, but at 33 his body has given out on him.  Look at these stats from the past 4 games and tell me I'm wrong:

@Cowboys - 12 attempts, 35 yards, 2.9 ypc

Texans - 16 attempts, 51 yards, 3.2 ypc

@Bucs - 19 attempts, 68 yards, 3.6 ypc

Falcons - 9 attempts, 17 yards, 1.9 ypc

That is horrible.  I know the Oline is banged up, but that is really really horrible.  In a small sample size today Kapri Bibbs rushed for 17 yards on 3 attempts, or 5.7 ypc.  

Peterson is 33 years old, he's on a 1 year contract and not part of this team's future.  We should shut him down now.  Maybe bring him in 5 snaps a game max.  If we somehow make it to the playoffs bring him back out then after he's rested his legs for several weeks.  As of right now he's just running into a wall, and taking our offense nowhere.  

This is so far off base, the OL injuries have killed our running game. Scherff to Bergstrom is a tremendous downgrade. Trent is playing with one hand and shouldn’t even he playing tbh. Our TEs had multiple penalties - and Cooper - which took us from 2nd/3rd and short/medium  to 2nd/3rd and long. When that happens it puts you from possible running downs to a must pass situation and this has happened the last few weeks. Also, inexplicably Gruden didn’t try to establish a running game with Peterson to start the same and we had a quick 3rd & out. That was the worst decision.

@PARROTHEADBibbs benefits from being a change of pace to Peterson, if he’s your main back, teams would shut him down.

Yes he’s banged up, yes we have injuries but all teams have them too. The issue is Gruden doesn’t call plays where Perterdon is at his best.  The guy still excels in the I formation running downhill. Gruden has him in shotgun, running delays and side to side. It’s exactuy the wrong way to use him. Put him in an I and he will get you 100 yards. Give him a fullback and add another 50 a game. But no, dumbo has a system. It’s never worked but he has his system. 

I remember another Redskins head coach who had a system. He lost is first few games and realized he didn’t have the talent for his system. So he changed his system and won multiple Super Bowls 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is so far off base, the OL injuries have killed our running game. Scherff to Bergstrom is a tremendous downgrade. Trent is playing with one hand and shouldn’t even he playing tbh. Our TEs had multiple penalties - and Cooper - which took us from 2nd/3rd and short/medium  to 2nd/3rd and long. When that happens it puts you from possible running downs to a must pass situation and this has happened the last few weeks. Also, inexplicably Gruden didn’t try to establish a running game with Peterson to start the same and we had a quick 3rd & out. That was the worst decision.

@PARROTHEADBibbs benefits from being a change of pace to Peterson, if he’s your main back, teams would shut him down.

How is it “so far off base”?  He hasn’t been effective.  Since it’s not working what harm could it do to try giving someone else those carries?  It can’t get any worse than the production we’re getting.

I think you wait until after the Philly game to decide what to do. 

It wasn’t popular then, it apparently still isn’t popular now, but some silly ole naysayer on the forum has been saying since about Week Two that you have to be extra cautious in managing him because of his age. I understand why they haven’t been limiting his use — sheer necessity, who could have ever expected that we’d lose 4 of our top 5 backs from the start of camp for most/all of the season (and basically choose not to use the 5th) — but the overuse is coming home to roost now. 

He’s terribly banged up, and he’s not bouncing back from the injury issues as fast as anyone would like. You can see the shoulder issue plain as day when he winces or tries to shake it out after he goes to the ground (and it was far more evident yesterday, obviously). The knee is less noticeable but I think more insidious. The acceleration is slower and the change of direction is clunkier. Which happens to every RB with wear and tear — it just accumulates more quickly and hangs on longer with an aged RB. He’s still fast in a straight line, but he’s not making guys miss or turning/getting to the corner like he does when he’s right.

The good news is that a fresh and well-rested AD is still a force to be reckoned with. And with 10 days off before the Eagles on MNF, I think he can be back close to full speed. Plus with CT (please god) back, that’ll take some weight off his shoulders too. Literally and figuratively. 

I tend to think this is one of those cases where both sides are correct.

Yes, we are banged up on the OL. And this is causing an issue.

Yes, we are running MVP too much. And this is causing an issue.

The more banged up the OL gets and the more we rush him, the worse he's gonna be at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

How is it “so far off base”?  He hasn’t been effective.  Since it’s not working what harm could it do to try giving someone else those carries?  It can’t get any worse than the production we’re getting.

Exactly. Take away the 18 yard run which brought his adv up to 3.6 ypc in the Bucs game. He had 18 carries for 50 yards. Total 19 for 68.

He adv 1.9 per carry against the Falcons. He was our 4th in rushing that game, Alex, Bibbs and Perine all outgained him. And all had 1/3rd or less attempts than him. 9 carries, 17 yards. When production like that is being put out. Why on earth wouldnt we see what Bibbs has? It couldnt hurt a thing.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The issue has been when we don’t give him consistent carries, he and the OL don’t get into a flow and don’t get anything going. 

As Doc said, the problem is how sporadic Gruden calls running plays and on top of that OL injuries and our TEs not playing as well.

This is the same problem our running game had had under Gruden from Alf, to Jones, to Kelley, to Perine and now Peterson...

Peterson still has it, there’s just issues outside of his control that are keeping him from having a big game like he did 3 straight weeks in a row last month vs the Panthers, Cowboys at home and vs the Giants.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The issue has been when we don’t give him consistent carries, he and the OL don’t get into a flow and don’t get anything going. 

As Doc said, the problem is how sporadic Gruden calls running plays and on top of that OL injuries and our TEs not playing as well.

This is the same problem our running game had had under Gruden from Alf, to Jones, to Kelley, to Perine and now Peterson...

Peterson still has it, there’s just issues outside of his control that are keeping him from having a big game like he did 3 straight weeks in a row last month vs the Panthers, Cowboys at home and vs the Giants.

Youre basically saying that no matter who we toss back there, theyd have the same issue.

So why not toss others back there and see what they have if the result will be the same?

Why are we benching him? This season is lost and Bibbs isn’t very good. Next year will be the Guice and Thompson show. Everything we’ve got out of AP this year has been a bonus for a team that lost their starting RB the first game of the preseason. 

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Youre basically saying that no matter who we toss back there, theyd have the same issue.

So why not toss others back there and see what they have if the result will be the same?

Obviously, he’s out most talented RB by a mile. You play your best players.

47 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why are we benching him? This season is lost and Bibbs isn’t very good. Next year will be the Guice and Thompson show. Everything we’ve got out of AP this year has been a bonus for a team that lost their starting RB the first game of the preseason. 

Because his play has declined significantly the past few weeks 

Archived