Its Time to Bench Adrian Peterson

MKnight82

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because his play has declined significantly the past few weeks 

And replace him with what exactly is my point? Guice is the future at RB for this team. Marshall and Bibbs represent nothing other than Thompson back ups. They won’t even let Perine touch the ball and Peterson is still on pace to eclipse 1K yards and close to 10 TDs. It’s not like he’s having a terrible season. The team has gone into a massive funk and that includes everyone. 

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And replace him with what exactly is my point? Guice is the future at RB for this team. Marshall and Bibbs represent nothing other than Thompson back ups. They won’t even let Perine touch the ball and Peterson is still on pace to eclipse 1K yards and close to 10 TDs. It’s not like he’s having a terrible season. The team has gone into a massive funk and that includes everyone. 

He’s not producing, what is the harm in trying someone else?

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Right around when Trent & Scherff went out with injuries correct? You don’t see the correlation?

The great deflector. Anytime someone is mentioned as playing bad. Its 100 other peoples fault and NEVER the player himself.

The last few weeks have shown that Bibbs deserves the chance to show what hes made of for the future.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Why are we benching him? This season is lost and Bibbs isn’t very good. Next year will be the Guice and Thompson show. Everything we’ve got out of AP this year has been a bonus for a team that lost their starting RB the first game of the preseason. 

But if the season is lost, why play a better (and much older) player?

If the season is over, we should be trying to find out what (if anything) our younger players can offer moving forward. And playing for better draft position more than wins. Giving lots of carries to Peterson doesn’t help us on either front.

Now I don’t think the season is actually over for the players, coaches, organization, and the vast majority of fans — at least not until they’re no longer in first place and not smack dab in the middle of the playoff hunt still. And for me, I don’t think the season is any more “over” than it was when it started (they’re actually better and closer to the playoffs than I expected them to be), so I’m fine with continuing to pound the ball with him if he’s the best option  

But if you’re ready to throw in the towel, playing old guys doesn’t make a lot of sense. Play Bibbs and Marshall and Perine, see if there’s anything to work with next year and beyond.  

Teams are constantly evolving, and their gameplans do the same thing.  Teams weren't expecting the two-headed monster out of the gate in Arizona where Peterson and Thompson ran roughshod over the Cardinals.  

Even when Thompson got hurt, AD got his carries and did well with them.  Alex Smith wasn't going downfield much, but moved the football and limited turnovers.  

Now look at where we are.  Teams started stacking the box against AD starting with the Falcons game, and it's continued because we haven't proven we can change things up to beat it.  While I am not saying bench AD, let's change things up- give Bibbs some more carries.  Get Ryan Anderson in there as a lead Fullback and run some I-formation plays.  Let McCoy try to get the tight ends open down the field.  

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Teams are constantly evolving, and their gameplans do the same thing.  Teams weren't expecting the two-headed monster out of the gate in Arizona where Peterson and Thompson ran roughshod over the Cardinals.  

Even when Thompson got hurt, AD got his carries and did well with them.  Alex Smith wasn't going downfield much, but moved the football and limited turnovers.  

Now look at where we are.  Teams started stacking the box against AD starting with the Falcons game, and it's continued because we haven't proven we can change things up to beat it.  While I am not saying bench AD, let's change things up- give Bibbs some more carries.  Get Ryan Anderson in there as a lead Fullback and run some I-formation plays.  Let McCoy try to get the tight ends open down the field.  

My perception has been that because Alex had not taken shots down field, and when he had he missed by a mile, that defenses adjusted to stopping the run and goating Alex to beat them with his arm. Peterson has to know that he is playing for another contract whether with us or somewhere else, so with the current state of the offensive line, the play is to play him. 

You play Peterson because he is still the best option at RB. He needs to be in the position of a north south 1 cut runner. This hodge podge offensive line is not doing any favors for the offense and Peterson. Trent has been injured. Scherff is out. Our amazing swing tackle is on the shelf. So yeah, Peterson is going to have bad games when your best OL and arguable the best LT in football is on the shelf for a few games. 

Is it not a coincidence that Peterson has had bad games since Williams has been injured? I am all for looking at younger talent and I am not sure why Perine has not seen any play, but with the playoff hunt still alive, and Jay somewhat on the hot seat, I don't think he is ready to cash it in just yet. 

Again, my biggest concern this season has been Jay calling plays. We need an actual play called not named Jay Gruden. And that is a small small piece of the entire problem. 

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

If we cant have a RB adv more than 3.6 a carry. Its worth it to see what the others can bring to the table.

It’s bc Bibbs is doing that in passing situations, on 2nd & 3rd and long, not when the box is stacked on 1st downs and in short yardage.

You all know this, you’re very knowledgeable and experienced football fans.

I still haven't heard a valid reason not to bench him.  Simply saying the Oline is hurt and that anyone would struggle is not an excuse.  Under that logic we're going to get the same result from anyone, so there's no downside to at least attempting to try someone else.  

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I still haven't heard a valid reason not to bench him.  Simply saying the Oline is hurt and that anyone would struggle is not an excuse.  Under that logic we're going to get the same result from anyone, so there's no downside to at least attempting to try someone else.  

This is the valid reason to keep him starting. There is no one better. Not only that, but with his vision and athletic ability, you don’t stop playing him. Simply put, he puts us in the best chance to win, which is still the goal.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is the valid reason to keep him starting. There is no one better. Not only that, but with his vision and athletic ability, you don’t stop playing him. Simply put, he puts us in the best chance to win, which is still the goal.

You can't state that with certainty.  Honestly, he's banged up, and his legs looked tired the past few games.  

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You can't state that with certainty.  Honestly, he's banged up, and his legs looked tired the past few games.  

Unfortunately I can. Statistically and effort wise, we have no one better on the “active” roster. 

(Guice will change that next year)

Archived