Brees vs Manning

Kiwibrown

If not for that neck injury, I think Manning would be the GOAT. Heck, I still think he’s the GOAT. I’ve never thought Brady nor Brees were better than Manning based off of my eyeball test.

In terms of how history might remember this, if Brees wins another ring I’m sure it might categorize him on closer level to Manning, which is fair. But unfortunately for him, he doesn’t have the MVPs and 1st team All Pros that Manning has to justify him overtaking him. He’d probably need to win another 2-3 rings to overtake Manning.

Not for me. Statistically they are pretty even, but what separate's the 2 in my mind is Manning's 6 more All Pro's, 5 more MVP's, and 8 more playoff appearances.

Brees would close the gap if he won another ring for sure, but for right now his winning percentage in playoff games is only 53.8% (7-6) which is basically identical to Manning's 51.8% winning percentage (14-13) - a winning percentage he gets bashed for.

Eh, my opinion of Brady/Manning/Brees is as much personal preference as anything. Brady will always be ahead by the majority because of rings. If we were starting 3 all-time great teams and I ended up with Brees I'd be very happy. Just like I would be fine with Marino as my QB opposed to Montana. All great QBs and they all had their own style and carried their teams as far as they could.

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Not for me. Statistically they are pretty even, but what separate's the 2 in my mind is Manning's 6 more All Pro's, 5 more MVP's, and 8 more playoff appearances.

Brees would close the gap if he won another ring for sure, but for right now his winning percentage in playoff games is only 53.8% (7-6) which is basically identical to Manning's 51.8% winning percentage (14-13) - a winning percentage he gets bashed for.

I'm of the belief that wins are largely team based and while the QB position is the most important, it still isn't anywhere close to being as important as simply having a good team.

While Brees and Manning have similar "Win Percentages" in the playoffs. Their statistical performances tell a different story as to how they performed in the playoffs. Just for starters Brees has a 100.7 career QB Rating in the postseason. Manning had a 87.4 career QB Rating in the postseason (88.7 career QB Rating with the Colts in the postseason).

Not saying I'd take Brees over Manning necessarily, as I can see arguments either way, but I don't think they have performed the same in the playoffs.

I don't care what he does; Brees will never be in that Manning tier for me. Peyton Manning ran his offense just about every year of his career from 2003 on.  Fair or not, Brees has always had Payton other than 2012 which was his "worst" season to date, though still playing in his system. Many of Brees' seasons simply fill up the statistic sheet for me but don't always wow me the way Manning did. Don't get me wrong, there are some seasons that do such as 2009, 2011 and this year. But I simply just don't see him on Manning's level. Couple that with Mannings 2 losing seasons to Brees' 6 (even if it's only by one game)

21 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'm of the belief that wins are largely team based and while the QB position is the most important, it still isn't anywhere close to being as important as simply having a good team.

While Brees and Manning have similar "Win Percentages" in the playoffs. Their statistical performances tell a different story as to how they performed in the playoffs. Just for starters Brees has a 100.7 career QB Rating in the postseason. Manning had a 87.4 career QB Rating in the postseason (88.7 career QB Rating with the Colts in the postseason).

Not saying I'd take Brees over Manning necessarily, as I can see arguments either way, but I don't think they have performed the same in the playoffs.

Yeah, but other than the 06 Bears, '13 Seahawks, '16 Vikings, and '11 49ers, he hasn't really had to face tough defenses during the post-season.  ANd in all of those games he struggled.

Anyone who insists that Tom Brady is the best there ever was, should take a moment to watch video of Starr, Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton, Montana, Aikman, Favre  or Kelly, Rules on pass defense were changed repeatedly over the decades. Brady is great. Just not The GOAT. That was Charlie Connerly.

The things against Brees is he is 1-4 in road playoff games against Alex Smith, Rex Gossman, Case Keenum, and a (7-9) Seahawks team. Also since joining the Saints in 2006, Brees has had (5) (7-9) seasons and (1) (8-8) season. I didnt even include his time with the Chargers. To put that into context, Peyton career with the Colts alone he only had (2) seasons where his team finished with 8 wins or less when he was the starting QB for most of the season. 

Now I know others are going to add more to that which I really would like that but just from my brief point of view Brees isnt over Peyton in my opinion. Can he be a top 5 QB of all-time? Possibly. Its just hard for me when you have a (1-4) road playoff record against those QB led teams and even though the Seahawks had Wilson, they were still (7-9). People actually was complaining about how the Seahawks shouldnt have gotten into the playoffs with their record. The Saints was the better team and shouldve had the homefield only for them to lose to that Seahawks team. Then recently the Saints went (3) straight seasons of (7-9) before last season going (11-5) and this season doing what they are doing. Like Peyton never had the Colts going .500 or worst and he had to deal with different coaches with the Colts, bad defenses (just like Brees for the most part with the Saints) and as someone famously said "a liquored up kicker". But thats just my opinion. 

36 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I don't care what he does; Brees will never be in that Manning tier for me. Peyton Manning ran his offense just about every year of his career from 2003 on.  Fair or not, Brees has always had Payton other than 2012 which was his "worst" season to date, though still playing in his system. Many of Brees' seasons simply fill up the statistic sheet for me but don't always wow me the way Manning did. Don't get me wrong, there are some seasons that do such as 2009, 2011 and this year. But I simply just don't see him on Manning's level. Couple that with Mannings 2 losing seasons to Brees' 6 (even if it's only by one game)

Umm without Sean Payton in 2012, Brees threw for 5,144 passing yards, and had 44 total touchdowns. The team may have struggled with the change of coach, but Brees still was a statistical monster. Football is a team sport. Teams are what defines wins and losses not an individual player. I don't think any less of Barry Sanders despite having less winning seasons than Emmitt Smith.

Peyton Manning isn’t even as good as Peyton Manning! Reverse the names and the heights and I have a strong feeling that opinions change significantly. Both are first ballot HOFs and two of the best to ever play the game. It’s incredibly difficult to nitpick imperfections with either. 

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Yeah, but other than the 06 Bears, '13 Seahawks, '16 Vikings, and '11 49ers, he hasn't really had to face tough defenses during the post-season.  ANd in all of those games he struggled.

Tough defenses? Are we going to pretend Manning only faced "tough" defenses in the playoffs? Brees played more quality defenses than you are alluding to.

Also Brees struggled in those games?

Against the Vikings last year Brees led his team down on what should have been the final drive of the game to take the lead against the Vikings (Minneapolis Miracle) in a game where he had about 300 yards passing, and 3 passing touchdowns. If I'm not mistaken 1 of his 2 interceptions were tipped off his receivers hands in this game. He still finished with an 89 QB Rating which is higher than Mannings average in the postseason.

Against the 2011 49ers Brees led his team for a go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes left only for his defense to give up another touchdown to end the game. This is a game that Brees had 462 passing yards and 4 touchdowns. I'd hardly call that struggling against one of the best defenses in football that year.

Against the 2009 Vikings, Brees had a 3 touchdown, 0 interception performance with a 106.5 QB Rating.

Against the 2006 Bears it certainly wasn't his best performance, but he did throw for 354 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Hard to call it struggling so to speak when Manning has had much worse performances in the playoffs (New England 2003, Jets 2002, Tennessee 1999, New England 2004, 2006 playoffs yet his team won it all, Colts 2014).

If there is one thing that Brees has done exceptionally well with the Saints, it is carrying his regular season level of play into the playoffs. There is literally no drop off in his career numbers in the playoffs, and some cases his career numbers in the playoffs are better than his career regular season numbers.

Saints have had as many winning seasons with Brees as without. So they have accomplished more in his 13 years than the previous 40 or so years. The 5 times that the Saints have won 7 games (their lowest with Brees) the defense has been ranked (in points) 25, 28, 31, 31 and 32. The 8-8 year the defense was 26th. Every other season they won at least 10 games. Their offense has been top 6 in yards each of his 13 years there. top 12 in points each year and top 5 in points 8 of his 13 years.

Brees is elite among the elite QBs. In my top 5 all time.

Archived