Texans Owner Bob McNair dead at 80

Forge

Houston Texans owner Bob McNair died Friday at 80 in Houston.

"It is with deep sadness that we announce Houston Texans Founder, Senior Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and philanthropist, Robert C. McNair passed away peacefully in Houston today with his loving wife, Janice, and his family by his side," the team said in a statement.

McNair has four children and 15 grandchildren.

I'm assuming that there's not going to be a big change with regards to the team compared to the saints situation where it's all kind of up in the air? 

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm assuming that there's not going to be a big change with regards to the team compared to the saints situation where it's all kind of up in the air? 

The contingency plan has always been that Cal McNair would take on the role of "owner" of the team. Cal has been getting more and more involved on the ownership side, so the transition should be pretty straightforward.

I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt there's much of a shift. 

It's sad - as a lifelong Houstonian who was a die hard Oilers' fan from the 80s, Bob McNair was a more than an owner, he's the man who brought football back to a football crazy city. The league had its sights set on Los Angeles, but McNair came over-the-top with his offer and landed the 32nd NFL franchise. He's been a big donor to various charities and such, was really doing everything in his power to make Houston a better city.

It's a sad day for Houston sports.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Texans "change" but it's from Bob to his son, Cal. 

Really!?!? I'm going take this team to the Super Bowl!

But yes it's sad that McNair died. I remember when the discussions were first held of bringing the team back to Houston. I was in Middle School and we were voting on the name and I was angry when I heard the Apollo's pick was passed over for the Texans which I thought at the time sounded dumb.

Archived