Texans Owner Bob McNair dead at 80

Forge

Don't have too many nice things to say about McNair the person (not even his Kaep comments, where he chose to donate his money and why leaves a bad taste in my mouth) but he brought the sport back to a city that never deserved to lose it and by all accounts was the best kind of owner you could ask for. Hands off but never tight with the purse strings. Hopefully his son continues to build the brand as they have a bright future with Watson.

Isn't McNair the owner that walked into the Houston Texans locker room to have a chat with the team saying how disappointing a day it was in 2008 when Obama became president, but that they'll essentially get through the storm. I remember Andre Johnson and Duane Brown shared that story. Awkward situation for the team.

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Don't have too many nice things to say about McNair the person (not even his Kaep comments, where he chose to donate his money and why leaves a bad taste in my mouth) but he brought the sport back to a city that never deserved to lose it and by all accounts was the best kind of owner you could ask for. Hands off but never tight with the purse strings. Hopefully his son continues to build the brand as they have a bright future with Watson.

Yeah, the guy had to be publicly shamed into rescinding his donation to an anti-LGBT PAC.  I'm glad he's dead.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Isn't McNair the owner that walked into the Houston Texans locker room to have a chat with the team saying how disappointing a day it was in 2008 when Obama became president, but that they'll essentially get through the storm. I remember Andre Johnson and Duane Brown shared that story. Awkward situation for the team.

By all accounts he lived a life where he spent much of his time giving back to the community and helping others.

He hired people around him regardless of their race and treated them like equals.

Here is the problem: He will be forever known for 2 moments that defined him.

• Obama hatred in the locker room (it was probably more anti-liberal than anything racist)
    • Picking that time and place to rail against politics is accidental racism by stupidity?
      • How can you not understand what that moment means to them? How dare you ruin it with hatred?
  • Inmates comment (and the horrendous regret over the apology)
    • If you don't get just how bad calling black football players 'Prisoners" is, then again... racism by stupidity.

You can be a wonderful person and no one cares if you are also insensitive and completely tone deaf to others perceptions.

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yup. McNair really exposed who he truly was in that moment and with the inmates trying to run the prison comment. I'm glad he did cause covert racists/bigots are the worst. Good riddance.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yea people called him racist but those idiots failed to realize he kept Rick Smith as GM for like 11 years.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Yup. McNair really exposed who he truly was in that moment and with the inmates trying to run the prison comment. I'm glad he did cause covert racists/bigots are the worst. Good riddance.

Racist/bigot does not describe Bob McNair.  Inmates running the asylum/prison is a long standing idiom that has nothing to do with race.  It's used to describe a power relationship between management/labor. It was a comment that was completely overblown by the speech police. Judge a man by his actions not his misinterpreted speech.  He hired people completely based on merit regardless of race/creed and was known to treat them all as family.  He was a conservative and automatically assumed evil by progressives bc of it.  People that actually knew the man and what he stood for have no problem telling you who the man was.  He was a great philanthropist and gave back a ton to the community he loved and was a part of.  The other side of it, dont wish anybody dead.  He was somebody's husband, father, friend.  Its time like these you should follow your mothers brilliant advice, if you dont have anything nice to say, sont say anything at all

Just to clarify my position, as a man of color, I didn't necessarily believe McNair had a racist profile to him based on what I heard. The "inmates" comment seemed irrelevant to race. The story I mentioned earlier that Andre Johnson and Duane Brown talked about didn't necessarily denote that McNair had bigotry blood either. The way I took it was, that as a white Republican, making that kind of comment in front of a large group of people that are mostly of color, was a pretty insensitive move even if there weren't any racist connotations behind it. Could easily be taken the wrong way. As someone mentioned earlier, he had Rick Smith as GM for a long time. This wasn't anything close to a George Preston Marshall situation though. McNair truly may have been colorblind, and judged everyone on the content of their character, but perhaps had moments where his personal views were easily taken the wrong way because of the context they were presented in. 

Archived