Texans Owner Bob McNair passes away

ET80

I certainly have plenty of issues with McNair's politics, the source of his fortune, and plenty of ownership/business decisions over the course of 18 years, but I could say the same about plenty of people seated around my Thanksgiving table each year and I still care for them.  Bob wasn't the saint he'll be made out to be over the next few days, but we all deserve to be celebrated for the good we brought to this world in our time here and Bob bringing football back to Houston personally enriched my life in enumerable ways for which I will always be thankful.  Every billionaire is lauded for their charitable efforts, but anyone like me who has had family members who wouldn't have been with us this Thanksgiving without the cutting edge medicine that happens at the Houston Med Center owes McNair some gratitude as his contributions went far beyond slapping his name on things, write offs, and photo ops as he was committed to using his fortune to make people's lives better.  He deserves to have his life honored as it was a truly amazing success story and unlike a certain former football team owner who's team may be coming to town this week, he seemed to be beloved by most who dealt with him on a personal level and he leaves an ownership and personal legacy we can take pride in as a city and fanbase even if we don't support some of the words or positions attributed to him.  In the grand scheme it's a trivial thing, but I'm glad he got to see his team rip off a 7 game win streak and be in first place and am hopeful we can continue to have improbable good fortune which seems an apt way to honor a man who certainly did plenty in life to make many of his "lucky breaks" happen.

15 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I certainly have plenty of issues with McNair's politics, the source of his fortune, and plenty of ownership/business decisions over the course of 18 years, but I could say the same about plenty of people seated around my Thanksgiving table each year and I still care for them.  Bob wasn't the saint he'll be made out to be over the next few days, but we all deserve to be celebrated for the good we brought to this world in our time here and Bob bringing football back to Houston personally enriched my life in enumerable ways for which I will always be thankful.  Every billionaire is lauded for their charitable efforts, but anyone like me who has had family members who wouldn't have been with us this Thanksgiving without the cutting edge medicine that happens at the Houston Med Center owes McNair some gratitude as his contributions went far beyond slapping his name on things, write offs, and photo ops as he was committed to using his fortune to make people's lives better.  He deserves to have his life honored as it was a truly amazing success story and unlike a certain former football team owner who's team may be coming to town this week, he seemed to be beloved by most who dealt with him on a personal level and he leaves an ownership and personal legacy we can take pride in as a city and fanbase even if we don't support some of the words or positions attributed to him.  In the grand scheme it's a trivial thing, but I'm glad he got to see his team rip off a 7 game win streak and be in first place and am hopeful we can continue to have improbable good fortune which seems an apt way to honor a man who certainly did plenty in life to make many of his "lucky breaks" happen.

I could not have said this any better. I'm actually sharing this in the General section of the forum - it's quite literally the best way to state how I'm feeling on the passing of McNair.

There's a lot I didn't like about the person - both on and off the field. This being said, who am I to judge without looking at the whole picture?

16 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Hear hear!

Archived