Perry to IR Looney brought up from practice squad

Golfman

Nick Perry has a dead cap hit of 11 million dollars if he's cut after this season.  That is a savings of 3 million dollars.  Anybody who thinks 3 million dollars is better than having Nick Perry as a third/fourth option pass rusher has vision clouded by hatred.  Nick Perry is a Packer until 2020 or unless he retires for better or worse. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nick Perry has a dead cap hit of 11 million dollars if he's cut after this season.  That is a savings of 3 million dollars.  Anybody who thinks 3 million dollars is better than having Nick Perry as a third/fourth option pass rusher has vision clouded by hatred.  Nick Perry is a Packer until 2020 or unless he retires for better or worse. 

You understand that his cap number is 14.7 million next year don't you? We pay him 11.1 million if he's on the team or not. We'd save 3.6 million of the 14.7 if we cut him. I'm not saying they do, but you might be able to get a second tier guy for 3.6 million who will be more productive than Perry has been this year. 

Now granted we have no idea how injured he was this year, but we do know he's injured every year. I'll let management work this one out. 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You understand that his cap number is 14.7 million next year don't you? We pay him 11.1 million if he's on the team or not. We'd save 3.6 million of the 14.7 if we cut him. I'm not saying they do, but you might be able to get a second tier guy for 3.6 million who will be more productive than Perry has been this year. 

Now granted we have no idea how injured he was this year, but we do know he's injured every year. I'll let management work this one out. 

Wait.  You think you're getting a second tier for 3.6M?  Go look at the guys who made less than $4M last year in FA.  It's abysmal.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Wait.  You think you're getting a second tier for 3.6M?  Go look at the guys who made less than $4M last year in FA.  It's abysmal.

Second tier as in a back up guy. Re-reading it, I see where you're coming from but not what I meant. I do think we could get Wilkerson back on a 1 year deal for 3 or 4 after he stole the money at 5 this year. 

I'd rather have him for the 3.6 than Perry. Just my opinion. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Second tier as in a back up guy. Re-reading it, I see where you're coming from but not what I meant. I do think we could get Wilkerson back on a 1 year deal for 3 or 4 after he stole the money at 5 this year. 

So what's the upside for a backup?  3, maybe 4 sacks?  We're paying that money to Nick Perry either way, might as well see if we can get him healthy and get him closer to that 8ish sack total.  There's not nearly enough upside for me to move on from Nick Perry right now.  And he's been a flop since he got his new contract.  Plus there's the whole nasty issue of replacing the snaps of Clay Matthews and Nick Perry.

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He didn’t “steal” money. Brice stole his season by breaking his damn leg.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

So what's the upside for a backup?  3, maybe 4 sacks?  We're paying that money to Nick Perry either way, might as well see if we can get him healthy and get him closer to that 8ish sack total.  There's not nearly enough upside for me to move on from Nick Perry right now.  And he's been a flop since he got his new contract.  Plus there's the whole nasty issue of replacing the snaps of Clay Matthews and Nick Perry.

The upside is you get him off the books this year. That cleans his slate in 2020 when we have a lot more free agents to make decisions, both pending and getting a few guys done early so they are around and potentially cheaper to do it early. 

The upside is you more than likely get a guy who can stay on the field more than Perry. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Nick Perry has certainly been injury prone, but this one really was unfortunate bad luck that someone hit his knee when he was planted like that. 

I get that but he not available far too often. He's been horrible this year. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

He didn’t “steal” money. Brice stole his season by breaking his damn leg.

He played what, two games? Doesn't matter how, he stole the money. Like I said, I'd rather than him back with the 3.6 million we'd save cutting Perry and have Perry completely off the books in 2020. 

I'm OK with people who have different opinions. It's all good! 

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

I literally called him injury prone in my post and mentioned nothing about his play. so I’m not sure what this is supposed to mean?

Do you want him back? I took from your post you were leaning to having him back. 

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Which sucks because he hasn't even been playing like a third/fourth option, maybe he turns it around, but that contract is lookin' really crappy right now. Maybe we trade him in the offseason.

Just now, Golfman said:

He played what, two games? Doesn't matter how, he stole the money. Like I said, I'd rather than him back with the 3.6 million we'd save cutting Perry and have Perry completely off the books in 2020. 

I'm OK with people who have different opinions. It's all good! 

So if you go to work tomorrow and get hit by a truck  one of your coworkers and break your leg at no fault of your own, you’re “stealing” money from your company while recouperating?

Archived