Perry to IR Looney brought up from practice squad

Golfman

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is this accurate?

Rob Demovsky never utters an independent thought. When he wrote in his ESPN article yesterday that Perry's season and "possibly his career with the Green Bay Packers, is over" he undoubtedly got that information from someone inside 1265.

Looking at Perry's "production" as a Packer, it is not hard to understand why the Packers want to move on.

Year                          Games                           Sacks

2012                           6                                    2

2013                           11                                  4

2014                           15                                  3

2015                           14                                  3.5

2016                           14                                  11

2017                           12                                  7

2018                           9                                     1.5               

Total/Average           81 (27.7%)                  32 (4.6)

Other than the 2016 outlier season, Perry has consistently been mediocre to bad when it comes to rushing the passer. He has also, to put it mildly, been a bit injury prone. (To be fair to Nick he has suffered a series of serious injuries and no one has ever accused him of malingering. It is also true he made it perfectly clear before he was drafted he did not think he was an OLBer and had no desire to play the position. It was the man who drafted him who decided otherwise).

There is no way a 29 year-old, oft-injured Nick Perry is worth a fraction of his $14.2M cap hit in 2019. 

Gute, you are in no way responsible for Perry's albatross of a contract. Nonetheless, you've got to exercise the post June 1 cut option and send Nick packing.  

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can we designate him as a June 1 cut? I know you can't use that money in the upcoming FA class, but 14m for Perry is atrocious. Had to do it though. I don't fault Ted for it, although he and Russ Ball could've done way better with that contract if they bargained a little harder.

That depends. I'm not really sure if NFL has "cap holds" for open roster spots like the NBA. If they don't have these cap holds, it could benefit GB to designate him a post-June cut.

In most years, GB would have to save cap space for their rookies (let's say $7m) and their usual safety margin (they seem to keep about $7m unspent on average each year). So if they had, for instance, $30m in cap space in March, they could only actually spend $16m of it on FA's. But if they knew $11.1m more cap space will come free in June, they could safely spend $27.1m of the $30m in free agency in March and know they'll still have room to sign the rookies and have a reserve fund. 

14 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

So if you go to work tomorrow and get hit by a truck  one of your coworkers and break your leg at no fault of your own, you’re “stealing” money from your company while recouperating?

Perry has been invisible since week #1 so he has been 'stealing' money from his employer for lack of production.   Unfortunately we are stuck with him or his contract because I can't see another team willing to take him off our hands unless they put him back on the DL.  This is yet another square peg we tried to ram into a square hole back in the day because of need.   

43 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Perry has been invisible since week #1 so he has been 'stealing' money from his employer for lack of production.   Unfortunately we are stuck with him or his contract because I can't see another team willing to take him off our hands unless they put him back on the DL.  This is yet another square peg we tried to ram into a square hole back in the day because of need.   

Do you think drafting Perry to play 3-4 OLB when he announced he was a 4-3 DE before the draft was more of a square peg into a ROUND hole scenario than putting a safety like Randall at cornerback was?

Between Perry, Randall, Hyde, Brad Jones, Nate Palmer, Datone Jones, Rollins, B.J. Raji and others I'm sure I'm forgetting the number of defensive players who seemed to play out of position in Green Bay between 2011 and 2017 is remarkable.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Do you think drafting Perry to play 3-4 OLB when he announced he was a 4-3 DE before the draft was more of a square peg into a ROUND hole scenario than putting a safety like Randall at cornerback was?

Between Perry, Randall, Hyde, Brad Jones, Nate Palmer, Datone Jones, Rollins, B.J. Raji and others I'm sure I'm forgetting the number of defensive players who seemed to play out of position in Green Bay between 2011 and 2017 is remarkable.

Montgomery

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

How were Brad Jones, Raji, and Nate Palmer out of position?  You had two failed OLBs playing inside, and a DT playing DT.

Datone and Rollins were more Ted's fault than either Mike or Dom's.  

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

How were Brad Jones, Raji, and Nate Palmer out of position?  You had two failed OLBs playing inside, and a DT playing DT.

Datone and Rollins were more Ted's fault than either Mike or Dom's.  

I agree Jones and Palmer were two failed OLBs but was it reasonable to expect them to then succeed by moving them to ILB where they likewise failed?

Certainly players sometimes do well by switching positions but the sheer number of Packer defensive players who seemed to play out of position is a real head scratcher. 

Was it Dom, the GM, both?

After watching GB pay the very marginal Cobb this season because WR was so thin, I expect GB will continue paying the very marginal Perry at least one more season.  I think the next time GB takes a 11M cap hit by releasing a player early will be the first time.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

After watching GB pay the very marginal Cobb this season because WR was so thin, I expect GB will continue paying the very marginal Perry at least one more season.  I think the next time GB takes a 11M cap hit by releasing a player early will be the first time.

Well we did cut Jordy. 

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I agree Jones and Palmer were two failed OLBs but was it reasonable to expect them to then succeed by moving them to ILB where they likewise failed?

Certainly players sometimes do well by switching positions but the sheer number of Packer defensive players who seemed to play out of position is a real head scratcher. 

Was it Dom, the GM, both?

I think some was Ted, and some was Dom.  Datone Jones did nothing for any of the teams he has been on.  That cannot be Dom's fault.  The biggest fault for Brad Jones was paying him too much after he had impressive stats in 2012.  Again, probably not Dom's fault.  But you see Hayward, Hyde, and Randall play well after leaving the Packers, it has to reflect on Dom.  This is an oversimplification, obviously.

But there are two groups there as well.  Randall, Hyde and maybe Rollins, were CBs that probably should have been playing S.  Brad Jones, Datone Jones, Mike Neal, and Nate Palmer were guys that were not good at their position and the coaches were left to figure out how to get use out of what they were given.  I would even say Brad Jones and Mike Neal were better at their job when their position was changed.

Archived