Perry to IR Looney brought up from practice squad

Golfman

Just now, Toddfather said:

I'm ready to move on. His resigning was in desperation, and he doesn't produce. Let him go. Let hawk take a pay cut and move inside or he can be replaced too.you have to think a lot will be thrown at the safeties and backers this off season

Did you just call Matthews Hawk? 

ESPN:

The Packers structured Perry's most recent contract, which contained an $18.5 million signing bonus, so that they could move on after the 2018 season and actually gain salary-cap space. Perry is due a $4.8 million roster bonus if he's on the team on the third day of the league year in 2019, so if the Packers cut him before that March date they would wipe that and his $5.2 million base salary off their cap.

They would have to count the remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus against their cap, but could defer some of that by designating him as a June 1 cut. If they cut him without the June 1 designation, they would save $3.6 million off their 2019 cap. If they used that designation, they would save $11.1 million.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

ESPN:

The Packers structured Perry's most recent contract, which contained an $18.5 million signing bonus, so that they could move on after the 2018 season and actually gain salary-cap space. Perry is due a $4.8 million roster bonus if he's on the team on the third day of the league year in 2019, so if the Packers cut him before that March date they would wipe that and his $5.2 million base salary off their cap.

They would have to count the remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus against their cap, but could defer some of that by designating him as a June 1 cut. If they cut him without the June 1 designation, they would save $3.6 million off their 2019 cap. If they used that designation, they would save $11.1 million.

I still can't follow this 😂

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Well we did cut Jordy. 

Yes, and GB recovered 10.2M in cap space while eating 2.3M dead money.  I expect Perry would definitely be released prior to next season were he in a similar contract situation, but he isn't.  I don't think Gute will seriously consider releasing Perry prior to 2020 unless he is injured to the point of not being expected to play in 2019.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm sure you get the roster bonus part at that is easy, he either gets it or he doesn't based on if he's on the roster. Once he is on the roster, that 4.8 is guaranteed against the cap.

The June 1st cut means you can split up his remaining bonus. He has 3 years of 3.7m of bonus left. If he gets cut with the June 1st designation the current years bonus falls on this year's cap (3.7m) and the remaining amount of bonus left (7.4m) would count for 2020. Basically with the increase of cap likely each year, you're prorating your hits over 2 years.

So essentially we could cut Perry and gain 11m next year while having 3.7 against next year's cap and 7.4 in 2020.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Three years of signing bonus left to account for in the cap, at 3.7 million each.

If we cut him pre-June all 3 years accelerate so we have 11.1 million of dead cap instead of paying him 14.7

If we designate the cut as post-June the first of those years falls in 2019 (think of it as if it's already been accounted for in June) and the other two are kicked back one year to 2020. It's still 11.1 million in dead cap but it's divided in 3.7 for 2019 and 7.4 in 2020. That's why some people say we save 11 million in 2019 that way - we do, but at the expense of 2020 cap.

I don't think Perry is getting cut but it also wouldn't surprise me.  If whatever he did to his ankle is permanent which it sure looked like it was this year (let alone re injuring it) then he's not really useful as an edge at 4mil or vet minimum.  I just don't think the 2016 Nick Perry that was actually healthy over the offseason and got to participate in the entire offseason program is coming back.

7 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Do you think drafting Perry to play 3-4 OLB when he announced he was a 4-3 DE before the draft was more of a square peg into a ROUND hole scenario than putting a safety like Randall at cornerback was?

Between Perry, Randall, Hyde, Brad Jones, Nate Palmer, Datone Jones, Rollins, B.J. Raji and others I'm sure I'm forgetting the number of defensive players who seemed to play out of position in Green Bay between 2011 and 2017 is remarkable.

If you go back and read my post I did say "yet another".  I don't know if these picks were round pegs or a square ones, tho.  ;)

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Long story short, ESPN has this agenda to make it sound like they structured it knowing he would be cut down the road.  Also, it's talking about the difference between a regular cut and a June 1 cut, which is when you're splitting the cap hit over 2 seasons instead of just one.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Long story short, ESPN has this agenda to make it sound like they structured it knowing he would be cut down the road.  Also, it's talking about the difference between a regular cut and a June 1 cut, which is when you're splitting the cap hit over 2 seasons instead of just one.

How is it an agenda? That's pretty much the definition of a roster bonus. "We'll give you this bonus X number of years into the deal if you are still worth it." Pretty obvious looking at Perry coming off a double digit sack season and getting just 18m guaranteed they set this deal up with roster bonuses and higher base salaries to keep the guaranteed money low.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

How is it an agenda? That's pretty much the definition of a roster bonus. "We'll give you this bonus X number of years into the deal if you are still worth it." Pretty obvious looking at Perry coming off a double digit sack season and getting just 18m guaranteed they set this deal up with roster bonuses and higher base salaries to keep the guaranteed money low.

The wording of the first sentence to me makes it sound like they knew he would be cut after this season.  Maybe I'm just waking up from my nap but that's certainly how it came off to me.

23 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

who in recent memory has sucked more after getting extended than perry? in gb

Cletidus Hunt maybe?  Nick Perry was almost useless this year despite being one of the 10 highest paid players in the NFL at his position.  He was a horrid this year and the outlook of paying a bad football player coming off a broken leg is a pretty bad one.

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

Cletidus Hunt maybe?  Nick Perry was almost useless this year despite being one of the 10 highest paid players in the NFL at his position.  He was a horrid this year and the outlook of paying a bad football player coming off a broken leg is a pretty bad one.

Perry has a broken leg?

Archived