Perry to IR Looney brought up from practice squad

Golfman

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

June 1 cuts really aren't.  They're designed to help teams who are cash strapped by allowing them to spread the cap hits over future years.  By releasing Nick Perry, the Packers save $3.6M this year but if they release him with a June 1 designation, they save $11M this year.  But if they cut him this year, they end up with $11.1M in dead cap this year.  If they use a June 1 designation, they $3.7M in dead cap this year and $7.4M next year.  Is the extra $7.4M worth an extra $7.4M in dead cap next year?  Probably not.

But with the rollover, if you don't spend that 7.4 million in 2019, it rolls over into 2010 cancelling out the dead cap hit

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

But with the rollover, if you don't spend that 7.4 million in 2019, it rolls over into 2010 cancelling out the dead cap hit

Are we really going to rollover $7.4M?  We're sitting with the most amount of cap space we've had in a LONG time, and we're in a need of a strong rebuild and the solution is to kick cap next year?  Doesn't really change anything for me by pushing Perry's cap hit to next year.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are we really going to rollover $7.4M?  We're sitting with the most amount of cap space we've had in a LONG time, and we're in a need of a strong rebuild and the solution is to kick cap next year?  Doesn't really change anything for me by pushing Perry's cap hit to next year.

That's what I'm saying. There's no reason not to Post June 1st cut him. 

If you standard cut him, that money is inaccessible.

If you Post June 1st cut him you have 11 million to spend if you want, if you don't spend it, it will roll over at the end of the year, giving you the exact same amount in 2020 as if you had standard cut him.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's what I'm saying. There's no reason not to Post June 1st cut him. 

If you standard cut him, that money is inaccessible.

If you Post June 1st cut him you have 11 million to spend if you want, if you don't spend it, it will roll over at the end of the year, giving you the exact same amount in 2020 as if you had standard cut him.

It's inaccessible either way.  If you June 1 cut him, you're kicking $7.1M into next year so you're taking $7.1M of this year's cap space and kicking into next year.  So instead of that $7.1M being "spent" this year, you're earmarking it for next year.  Either way, you're accounting for $7.1M this year.  Either you're using it as dead cap this year or you're saving it for next year.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's inaccessible either way.  If you June 1 cut him, you're kicking $7.1M into next year so you're taking $7.1M of this year's cap space and kicking into next year.  So instead of that $7.1M being "spent" this year, you're earmarking it for next year.  Either way, you're accounting for $7.1M this year.  Either you're using it as dead cap this year or you're saving it for next year.

Yeah, if you cut him, you've got the dead money.

If you standard cut him, you pay it immediately.

If you June 1st cut him, you take the dead money into next year, but you have more to spend this year. What you don't spend this year will get rolled into next year. It's equivalent to a 0% interest loan.

Basically if you spend none of that money, it's the same thing as if you cut him.

If you spend half of that money, you've got half that money in dead space.

If you spend all that money, you've got the entire sum due next year.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, if you cut him, you've got the dead money.

If you standard cut him, you pay it immediately.

If you June 1st cut him, you take the dead money into next year, but you have more to spend this year. What you don't spend this year will get rolled into next year. It's equivalent to a 0% interest loan.

Basically if you spend none of that money, it's the same thing as if you cut him.

If you spend half of that money, you've got half that money in dead space.

If you spend all that money, you've got the entire sum due next year.

But the question I'm asking is if you're June 1 cutting him, you're earmarking part of that $40M in cap space to rollover next year.  How is that any different than eating the dead cap this year?  To me, there's very little incentive to push Perry's cap hit into next year.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

But the question I'm asking is if you're June 1 cutting him, you're earmarking part of that $40M in cap space to rollover next year.  How is that any different than eating the dead cap this year?  To me, there's very little incentive to push Perry's cap hit into next year.

Overall it's the same. 

The only difference between standard cutting him and June 1st cutting him is that you have the cash on hand if you need to make a push in 2019. 

That cash is in your vault not the league office if Jackson blows out an ACL and you need to trade for Patrick Peterson in October of next year.

From my understanding, the post June 1st cut designation cap space stays on the books until June 1st, then that money is available to use and the accounting of that $$ moves to 2020.

To me, it allows a team to spend to $0 cap space remaining during FA and then on June 1st, they get the cap space that effectively works as their rollover for 2020.  It is already spent as dead cap as it is pushed forward a year.

Archived