If decisions are made on performance not politics

Doc Draper

Preston Smith has been beat out by Carter. Try to trade Smith. Anderson is better than him right now but perfect backup for Kerrigan.

Ziggy Hood- our DL should be allen Taylor ioddonis backed up with McGee mbu and Lanier. Get rid of the old deadwood

pRine has beat out Kelly. Keep both and Chris Thompson but start pRine

cut Lavao now. Maybe some dumb team will give you a 7th

cut Koundjio and start Kalis who is better than him and Lauvao right now. Keep Catalina on practice squad

start Brown and Spaight at ILB. If you can trade Foster do it. Keep Compton for depth and special teams

None of this makes sense, it's all very short sided. Carter has shined against 2nd & 3rd team OLBs but he was whistled for illegal use of hands on Green Bay's first drive (extending that TD scoring drive), then for offsides in the second quarter. Yes, he was credited with a half-sack in the third quarter against back up OL though. It's not politics, you are just hyping up guys who are going against back ups. Smith flashed tonight vs one of the best starting LTs in the NFL. Unless Galette looks amazing next week or to start the season, from what I saw out of Smith tonight I agree with Mknight that Smith will be our starting ROLB.

You can't base the DL off of just one preseason game, there's a lot that goes into that. Keep in mind that Mbu was playing against 2nd & 3rd team OL, same with Lanier. Hood could see himself in jeopardy but from what I hear he's still one of their most sound DL and he can play all 3 positions along the DL (1-tech/NT, 3-tech & 5-tech) I don't think we have another DL that can do all of that except maybe Taylor. I think we keep 7 DL:

RDE: Allen, McGee, Lanier

NT: Taylor, Ioannidis

LDE: McClain, Hood

Mbu goes to the practice squad with Pipkins.

Again, Perine has been playing against back ups, Kelly has gone vs starters. That competition is still up in the air. If it were up to me, I'd start Chris Thompson. Heck, Gruden never runs the ball anyways, if Thompson was on the field more he could have Sproles type production like when Sproles played in New Orleans. 70 recs, 650 to 750 yds & 4 or 5 Tds and 100-150 carries for 500-600 yds with 4 or 5 Tds rushing. Kelley or Perine can be his back up and get like 5 to 10 carries a game as a change of pace. I think we need Thompson on the field more, it will help our offense, even if it will be more for the passing game than the running game.

I agree Lauvao shouldn't start, but unfortunately after Scherff Lauvao is the 2nd best OG we have. What Gruden & Callahan should do is once and for all move Nsekhe to LG. They should have started that in 2015, and if they had by now Nsekhe may be a pro bowl quality guard. I do agree Kalis should make it over Kouandijo and Catalina should be on the practice squad.

Theyre not going to trade any of those players. Foster should be the starting "Mike" LB and call the plays, our run D looked pretty solid tonight - yes the packers run O is nearly as bad as ours - but our run D has looked solid so far this preseason and Foster and Brown are big reasons why. Spaight & Compton will be reserves/special teams guys. Marley, just like Carter have both worked their way on to the roster as two of the last players to make the team IMO and will mostly be special teams guys.

The Packers rushed for 110 yards but half of that was on scrambles by their QBs. If there is one positive from this preseason so far is that in both games our run defense looked improved over the run D we had the last 2 years.

Sadly I couldn't even watch after seeing the starters look bad!!!!  But from what I did see is Kirk better figure it out. Guys are open and he's just hesitant and he's throwing bad passes. Our Running game isn't good at all. I don't think our run game has even been competent since RG hasn't been our QB. We better get something going. I'm honestly tired of these plug and play backs. We need to invest a pick on a back who can carry the load and not just bring one dimension. Thompson is a good back but he's not going to hold up. I like Perine but who knows. He has talent but I have to see him against startes. You can't even grade our WR's. They are getting open they are getting separation. 

Defense from what I saw was Fabian Monroe just seems to flash. He did in college and he did last night. Even the 2 catches he gave up he was in perfect position. Too early to crown somebody but he looked good. Brown has to start. He's clearly the best ILB. Allen belongs with the starters. He's disruptive. I agree Smith looked good. He was in the backfield a lot. I'm not going to burn the defense for ARod doing his thing. But it wasn't a good sign to see Brett Hundley come out and I barely noticed a difference between the two. I did turn back on a little later and the backups and 3rd stringers looked pretty good!!!! But all in all we have a lot of work to do considering we have a divisional game to start the season!!!

16 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Sadly I couldn't even watch after seeing the starters look bad!!!!  But from what I did see is Kirk better figure it out. Guys are open and he's just hesitant and he's throwing bad passes. Our Running game isn't good at all. I don't think our run game has even been competent since RG hasn't been our QB. We better get something going. I'm honestly tired of these plug and play backs. We need to invest a pick on a back who can carry the load and not just bring one dimension. Thompson is a good back but he's not going to hold up. I like Perine but who knows. He has talent but I have to see him against startes. You can't even grade our WR's. They are getting open they are getting separation. 

Defense from what I saw was Fabian Monroe just seems to flash. He did in college and he did last night. Even the 2 catches he gave up he was in perfect position. Too early to crown somebody but he looked good. Brown has to start. He's clearly the best ILB. Allen belongs with the starters. He's disruptive. I agree Smith looked good. He was in the backfield a lot. I'm not going to burn the defense for ARod doing his thing. But it wasn't a good sign to see Brett Hundley come out and I barely noticed a difference between the two. I did turn back on a little later and the backups and 3rd stringers looked pretty good!!!! But all in all we have a lot of work to do considering we have a divisional game to start the season!!!

The reason Thompson should start or at least get the most playing time is because we really don't stick with the running game anyways and it's so inconsistent. Since that is the case, we might as well just act like its hurry up/2nd/3rd & long and play Thompson 60 to 70% of the game instead of 30 to 40%.

Yes, Thompson would get more touches and hit more but it is what it is, we need our best back on the field more. If im the coach, I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt. If they're on the team and they're my best players they are going to play! Period!

There's no reason why Thompson can't handle around 10 carries a game and get 5 targets or more targets out do the backfield on option routes, on swing passes, screen passes, wheel routes and even lined up as a slot receiver. There have been games in the past like last year vs Det where he had 10 or more carries in the game.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The reason Thompson should start or at least get the most playing time is because we really don't stick with the running game anyways and it's so inconsistent. Since that is the case, we might as well just act like its hurry up/2nd/3rd & long and play Thompson 60 to 70% of the game instead of 30 to 40%.

Yes, Thompson would get more touches and hit more but it is what it is, we need our best back on the field more. If im the coach, I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt. If they're on the team and they're my best players they are going to play! Period!

There's no reason why Thompson can't handle around 10 carries a game and get 5 targets or more targets out do the backfield on option routes, on swing passes, screen passes, wheel routes and even lined up as a slot receiver. There have been games in the past like last year vs Det where he had 10 or more carries in the game.

Oh I'm with you Thompson or Jones IMO are best for what we want too do! Jones fumbles the ball and that drives me crazy but that can be fixed! That said he is awesome in the passing game and when he runs behind his pads he is by far our best RB! Thompson is a heck of a back too. He would be my starter at this point! Kelly is good for us because we just don't block in the running game and he makes it too where 3 yards is better then the 5 yard loss we would have taken. I know I'll get killed for saying Jones is our best back but he is the only back on this team that I have seen minus some just horrible timed fumbles he belongs. But frankly it is what it is I love the Allen pick wouldn't trade him for the world but I would have been okay with trading up for Cook in the 2nd! He's going to be a stud. I like Perine and he could very well be the best back in this class but he has just as many injury concerns as Cook does as does any RB. This offense needs a game changing RB!!! Until we get that we are dependent on Kirk to win us every single game and I personally don't think he's that guy. I think Kirk will be that guy but to expect that at this point is crazy with this defense.

35 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Oh I'm with you Thompson or Jones IMO are best for what we want too do! Jones fumbles the ball and that drives me crazy but that can be fixed! That said he is awesome in the passing game and when he runs behind his pads he is by far our best RB! Thompson is a heck of a back too. He would be my starter at this point! Kelly is good for us because we just don't block in the running game and he makes it too where 3 yards is better then the 5 yard loss we would have taken. I know I'll get killed for saying Jones is our best back but he is the only back on this team that I have seen minus some just horrible timed fumbles he belongs. But frankly it is what it is I love the Allen pick wouldn't trade him for the world but I would have been okay with trading up for Cook in the 2nd! He's going to be a stud. I like Perine and he could very well be the best back in this class but he has just as many injury concerns as Cook does as does any RB. This offense needs a game changing RB!!! Until we get that we are dependent on Kirk to win us every single game and I personally don't think he's that guy. I think Kirk will be that guy but to expect that at this point is crazy with this defense.

I agree with a lot of what you said. As far as needing the game changing back, it would help but if we aren't going to consistently run the ball and our OL continues to struggle to push the pile and open holes in the run game it doesn't matter. No running back is going to go far with how our OL has run blocked the majority of the time since Gruden was hired. That's why they should just make Thompson the starter, make him a 3 down back and have Kelly or Perine be his change of pace for 10 carries/30% of the game.

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

Why would you trade Smith? Unless there is someone better you want to sign? We don't have a single OLB that can be relied on to get through a season. The team will need depth there.

Agree, I can't see the trade at all, especially after losing Murphy.  Kerrigan is the only one with a clean bill of health and/or a substantial resume in the NFL.  It's also not long ago that Preston Smith had 8 sacks.  He pulls an Amerson if we trade him, and it just continues to look bad for us.  

By the way, is this the same Slateman from SRM?  Not SRM, it was VSN, got my forums mixed up there. 

So, I have never been on board with Kelley, I don't like how he runs and I think there are other teams that have a stock of RB's that could outplay him like Chicago, in which we could make a trade for. Perine can't carry the load just yet, and from what I have seen, not sure if he's ready. Matt Jones. No. I have to see more out of Perine before I feeel confident about him. 

58 minutes ago, mike23md said:

So, I have never been on board with Kelley, I don't like how he runs and I think there are other teams that have a stock of RB's that could outplay him like Chicago, in which we could make a trade for. Perine can't carry the load just yet, and from what I have seen, not sure if he's ready. Matt Jones. No. I have to see more out of Perine before I feeel confident about him. 

Anything specific with Kelley besides that?  I'm not his biggest fan, and I personally think we are mis-casting guys like Jones, Perine and Kelley in this offense.  We need a multi-purpose back like Dalvin Cook.  Even Chris Thompson is a better choice to start based on his skillset and what we want to do.  

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Jump on the Thompson train w/ me! Perine can get 10 rushes a game as a change of pace to a bigger back and a short yardage back. I also wish Mack Brown would get to start a preseason game to see if he can do better, he's always seemed like our most decisive runner - beside Thompson - of the current group of young backs.

Im a Kelly fan. I like his effort, how he leans in and pushes with his legs once he hits the line. To bad theres never a hole made for him to run through.

Do think CT should start. (Which I thought last year too) And Kelly should back him up.

Im no fan of Perine, He has good power. But such a slow take off, and once he shifts, takes him awhile to get back up to speed over other backs. Hes going to have to put in some quality work to make me a fan of his over Kelly.

Archived