If decisions are made on performance not politics

Doc Draper

Perine is IMO a good zone runner. One cut and go. He's also very effective on sweeps because he has good burst for his size. I want to see him get going. He definitely has talent and could be our best back. But he's not currently nor would I expect him to be!!

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins are averaging 1 ypc in rushing vs opposing starting defenses. The longest carry for Kelly has been 4 yards this preseason.

I put more of that on the offensive blocking up front (and I mean that in the disgusting sense, not the positional one).

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

I put more of that on the offensive blocking up front (and I mean that in the disgusting sense, not the positional one).

Kelley is kind of slow to hit the line/hole sometimes too. He misses some things and makes some cuts sometimes he doesn't need to make instead of getting north and south as quickly as possible. For that reason I hope that Perine everntually becomes the guy if they're not going to go with Thompson or give Brown an honest chance to start.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:56 PM, Doc Draper said:

Preston Smith has been beat out by Carter. Try to trade Smith. Anderson is better than him right now but perfect backup for Kerrigan.

Ziggy Hood- our DL should be allen Taylor ioddonis backed up with McGee mbu and Lanier. Get rid of the old deadwood

pRine has beat out Kelly. Keep both and Chris Thompson but start pRine

cut Lavao now. Maybe some dumb team will give you a 7th

cut Koundjio and start Kalis who is better than him and Lauvao right now. Keep Catalina on practice squad

start Brown and Spaight at ILB. If you can trade Foster do it. Keep Compton for depth and special teams

- We're too thin at OLB to trade Preston IMO.  Besides, he's on a rookie contract still so there's value to keeping him around until he proves he's a complete bust.  Sometimes pass rushers take 3 years.  If he looks like crap by midseason this year I'll be all for moving on from him.  

- I have been pleasantly surprised with Phil Taylor.  I'd probably start Allen, Taylor, McClain right now.  Ioaniddis does look better but I need to see more before I think he can start.  

- I'm not married to Rob Kelley as the starter, but Perine has looked really bad at times too.  I say we give Thompson a shot to start.  Honestly, I'm not sure we have a starting caliber RB on our roster at this point.  

- Lauvao sucks, but we don't really have another option.  Maybe some vet will get cut?  

- Kouandjio has been a real disappointment.  

- I think Foster should start next to Brown as he's our best run stuffing MLB.  That Harvey Clemons kid looked good though.  Spaight has been solid but I don't think he should start.  Will Compton needs to go.  

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- I have been pleasantly surprised with Phil Taylor.  I'd probably start Allen, Taylor, McClain right now.  Ioaniddis does look better but I need to see more before I think he can start.

Taylor has definitely garnered a starting role. I'm with you, @MKnight82, he has incredibly exceeded my expectations.

That said, I wouldn't give the starting gig to McClain. Unless I missed it against the Packers, the guy has been a complete non-entity for two games now (0 tackles). Remember, he wasn't part of the starters in game 1, so he has had plenty of playing time. I think the LDE spot is up for grabs at this point (and may continue to be going into the regular season).

44 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- I'm not married to Rob Kelley as the starter, but Perine has looked really bad at times too.  I say we give Thompson a shot to start.  Honestly, I'm not sure we have a starting caliber RB on our roster at this point.  

I wish I could say that I disagree with the bolded. However, again, I'm not sure how much I would put on Kelley's shoulders over ...

45 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- Lauvao sucks, but we don't really have another option.  Maybe some vet will get cut?  

- Kouandjio has been a real disappointment.  

these guys. Spencer Long too (how many times has he fallen over in two games?).

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- I think Foster should start next to Brown as he's our best run stuffing MLB.  That Harvey Clemons kid looked good though.  Spaight has been solid but I don't think he should start.  Will Compton needs to go.  

Only reason I could Spaight starting is that he was practicing as the play caller on the field as Compton's backup. I think Compton is on the "makes roster" side of the bubble, but it's tight though. JHC may have played himself onto the roster, though. I don't think you can risk letting him get through waivers at this point.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

Taylor has definitely garnered a starting role. I'm with you, @MKnight82, he has incredibly exceeded my expectations.

That said, I wouldn't give the starting gig to McClain. Unless I missed it against the Packers, the guy has been a complete non-entity for two games now (0 tackles). Remember, he wasn't part of the starters in game 1, so he has had plenty of playing time. I think the LDE spot is up for grabs at this point (and may continue to be going into the regular season).

I wish I could say that I disagree with the bolded. However, again, I'm not sure how much I would put on Kelley's shoulders over ...

these guys. Spencer Long too (how many times has he fallen over in two games?).

Only reason I could Spaight starting is that he was practicing as the play caller on the field as Compton's backup. I think Compton is on the "makes roster" side of the bubble, but it's tight though. JHC may have played himself onto the roster, though. I don't think you can risk letting him get through waivers at this point.

Spencer Long has always been hit or miss. It's so frustrating because he has the size and talent you want but ever since 2015 he's always seemed to have an issue we being as tough as you'd think he'd be by looking at him. 

I asked Chris Russell about McClain because I too didn't really notice him. Russell said that McClain didn't do much but he did play good run defense and push the pocket well.

This is good to hear that our young corners are progressing well. I'm not sold on Fuller though as he seems to get beaten badly. At he end of the day the best thing we can do to help our secondary is to get a consistent pass rush. Maybe Taylor can give is a push up the middle and Allen looks like the real deal. The other DE is a huge question mark. I'm hoping the guys who get the most playtime (Since Jimmy T doesn't even designate starters kind of like the best coach of all time said  (Red Auerbach) teams who said "its not important who starts the game, its whose is on the floor at the end of the game that matters" 8855819.jpg?244

DL- Allen, Taylor, Lanier 

LB Kerrigan, Brown, Foster, (Gallette or Carter) at the other OLB

I just don't trust Preston aka Nancy to give a consistent performance- watch him- play one he is a 10/90 guy whereas Rod Gardner was 50/50 meaning he makes one play and is bad at the next 9. and is terrible at stopping the run as well because he just doesn't move well enough to be a linebacker. The kid is a DE and only through mis-management has he not been bulked up (he can ask advice from Murphy) playing there.  His hips are so tight- he runs right into a lineman like a DL does and doesn't avoid them like an OLB does etc..  Watch Carter- that kid is meant to be a pass rushing OLB. If you contrast the two of them its pretty easy to see who should be playing OLB. Gallette was an awesome OLB candidate but with two years of injuries that guy may be done. 

7 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

This is good to hear that our young corners are progressing well. I'm not sold on Fuller though as he seems to get beaten badly. At he end of the day the best thing we can do to help our secondary is to get a consistent pass rush. Maybe Taylor can give is a push up the middle and Allen looks like the real deal. The other DE is a huge question mark. I'm hoping the guys who get the most playtime (Since Jimmy T doesn't even designate starters kind of like the best coach of all time said  (Red Auerbach) teams who said "its not important who starts the game, its whose is on the floor at the end of the game that matters" 8855819.jpg?244

DL- Allen, Taylor, Lanier 

LB Kerrigan, Brown, Foster, (Gallette or Carter) at the other OLB

I just don't trust Preston aka Nancy to give a consistent performance- watch him- play one he is a 10/90 guy whereas Rod Gardner was 50/50 meaning he makes one play and is bad at the next 9. and is terrible at stopping the run as well because he just doesn't move well enough to be a linebacker. The kid is a DE and only through mis-management has he not been bulked up (he can ask advice from Murphy) playing there.  His hips are so tight- he runs right into a lineman like a DL does and doesn't avoid them like an OLB does etc..  Watch Carter- that kid is meant to be a pass rushing OLB. If you contrast the two of them its pretty easy to see who should be playing OLB. Gallette was an awesome OLB candidate but with two years of injuries that guy may be done. 

Don't forget Fuller was coming off microfracure surgery last year & a torn ACL. It's wonder he even played and showed as well as he did in some games. I remember him playing poor vs the top slot WRs in the NFL but not every week.

Archived