Preseason week 2: 49ers vs Broncos

Webmaster

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Granted, he looked great last preseason as well. But no doubt this scheme suits his skillset a lot better. 

Thomas did replace him on the first series on 3rd down I believe. Maybe that's how we will start the season with Tank playing the base downs and Thomas in on passing downs. Though I think Thomas could handle the run just fine. 

The funny thing is that I would actually prefer that the other way around - Tank on passing downs, Thomas on early downs. 

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is that I would actually prefer that the other way around - Tank on passing downs, Thomas on early downs. 

Thats my thinking as well. Don't get me wrong I'm still a huge Solly Thomas supporter but in both preseason games now he's has some issues with rushing the passer, granted he's had moments where he looks good too but almost more out of effort than skill. But if Tank is playing with that kind of disruptance without needing to be on the field all that much to get the feel of the game I say we keep using him in that fashion. 

Did he really struggle rushing the passer this past game? Dude barely played a handful of snaps and the one I paid close attention to was on the first drive where he got double teamed. 

And I wouldn't say he struggled last game either. He had a few really nice moves, one that led Lynch batting the ball down.

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did he really struggle rushing the passer this past game? Dude barely played a handful of snaps and the one I paid close attention to was on the first drive where he got double teamed. 

And I wouldn't say he struggled last game either. He had a few really nice moves, one that led Lynch batting the ball down.

I guess struggled is a bit harsh, inconsistent was the word I should have used. I did say however that he had good moments as well but go back and watch the games if you can and you'll see Solly getting stone walled, as in no push, no real pass rush move used or counter and then just kind of sit there and play patty cake while the OL has him pretty much neutralized. He didn't get nearly the amount of run that he did in the first game but I noticed on two separate occasions during this last game. In college he was able to use his strength, quickness and power to be able to beat most who lined up across from him. In the NFL even against 2nd and 3rd stringers you have to have a plan of attack and even a counter move if you are unsuccessful initially. Unless of course you have Norman Price lined up across from you. Something I'm sure he will get coached up on and continue to develop so I'm not that concerned about it cause have we've all seen on some plays he shows why he was a top 5 draft pick. With the noise Tank is creating on a consistent play by play basis this preseason though I think until Solly gets more consistent Tank plays in obvious passing situations. One of the few positions, being the big DE, on this team where we are actually looking very good.

I will re-watch the game later this week but again the one snap I did see on the first drive, he was double teamed. I thought he was just fine in the first game rushing the passer. Thomas was able to get pressure from inside which we will desperately need with our edge rushers not being all that great.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will re-watch the game later this week but again the one snap I did see on the first drive, he was double teamed. I thought he was just fine in the first game rushing the passer. Thomas was able to get pressure from inside which we will desperately need with our edge rushers not being all that great.

I only got to watch the game in bits and pieces while I was on vacation, did you just record the games or is there a site you use to watch replays?

Had a family b-day to attend so did not watch the game till last night.  In reading online comments, not here, I thought that Hoyer had played badly again - ball slipping out of his hand and what was described as tripping over his own feet (looked like cleat stuck in turf or something like that). Anyway I have to say I was OK with his play.  In fact he made several really nice plays.  Given how long it takes for an offense to click and a QB to develop a feel for his receivers I'm really optimistic he will turn out to be a good stop-gap for us. 

Love when writers give a QB's rating for a single game when he throws 11 passes and has one intercepted. I read that he had a 58 rating for the game and not having seen the game I thought that meant he played badly.  On the other hand if Goodwin simply holds on to that one pass that bounced off his chest Hoyer gets one more completion, 12 more yards and no ints.  That raises his rating to 105 for the game- nearly a 50 point differnce on one bobbled catch..  Small sample size - never a good way to talk about a QB's performance.

I thought my biggest worry for the year would be o-line, and maybe it still will be.  But that 5 has barely played together and so is likely to gel over the course of the season, and Garnett's return should help.  On the other hand I see little light at the end of the tunnel for the secondary; I should say for our CBs.  Ward and Reid should be a solid safety combo and Tartt and Jerome will mean we are OK there even with potential injuries.  But CB? Oh my!  Maybe Robinson will return to last year's form. Maybe Witherspoon will blossom.  But it looks like we're going to have a really tough time on the outside this year.  Better hope for a great pass rush because it doesn't look like our CBs can handle double moves, or guys going long if the same guys can also break it off shorter.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:58 PM, Fureys49ers said:

Still not understanding why with all this speed on our team now we have Kerley and Mostert returning kicks?

I commented on him last week after being surprised at how good he looked.  Mostert set the Purdue record in the 60m dash indoors and won the Big 10 title.  Then he set a Big 10 record in winning the 200 outdoors.  He also won the Big 10 title in the 100.  He ran a 10.15 in the NCAA tourney. That's not Usain Bolt fast, but that is very, very fast. 7th place in the World Outdoor Championships a week or so ago went at 10.17.

If the more normal football distance is of interest he ran is 40 at the combine at an eletronically timed 4.34, and was hand timed even faster at his pro day.  Frankly all those numbers indicate he's probably among the fastest guys in the entire league.

51 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I commented on him last week after being surprised at how good he looked.  Mostert set the Purdue record in the 60m dash indoors and won the Big 10 title.  Then he set a Big 10 record in winning the 200 outdoors.  He also won the Big 10 title in the 100.  He ran a 10.15 in the NCAA tourney. That's not Usain Bolt fast, but that is very, very fast. 7th place in the World Outdoor Championships a week or so ago went at 10.17.

If the more normal football distance is of interest he ran is 40 at the combine at an eletronically timed 4.34, and was hand timed even faster at his pro day.  Frankly all those numbers indicate he's probably among the fastest guys in the entire league.

Why does he look so slow on kickoff returns then? Must be that he is indecisive when deciding where to go with it. I've always thought the best kick or punt returners aren't the guys who dance but choose a lane and hit it as fast as they can. One of the reasons I always thought Hester was so good, on top of his 4.3 speed he almost attacked kick coverages with his returns.

39 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Why does he look so slow on kickoff returns then? Must be that he is indecisive when deciding where to go with it. I've always thought the best kick or punt returners aren't the guys who dance but choose a lane and hit it as fast as they can. One of the reasons I always thought Hester was so good, on top of his 4.3 speed he almost attacked kick coverages with his returns.

I agree.  Good returners just go right up the middle, maybe one break for hole - but no dancing and no running to the sidelines hoping to outrun guys.  You get killed a whole bunch of times but every now and then a hole opens up and if you get through it and if have a lot of speed you're on your way to a long td.

Archived