5 up, 5 down

pnies20

Up

1. Baker Mayfield - Unreal how comfortable and assertive he has been for a rookie. We haven't had veterans play 3-4 game stretches like this kid has. Gets the ball out quickly and accurately. My favorite attribute of his so far is his ability to learn from mistakes and do it quickly.

2. David Njoku - He too is feeling much more comfortable and thinking less. He is making more plays and catching the ball much much better.

3. Antonio Calloway - Again a young guy with growing confidence who has suddenly put the little mental mistakes away. I honestly can't remember the last drop of his the only drop I can think of today was Duke Johnson right near the goal line. There is a lot of ability in this kid and his routes are improving. Him with Higgins reliability I'm not so sure we need to add a Top 3 option in the draft. Of our top 3 guys right now the only one I'd be okay replacing is Jarvis Landry as crazy as that sounds. Just too much + left with the other 2 guys and Jarvis is what Jarvis is

4. Damarious Randall handing the interception to Hue Jackson - I almost fell out of my seat laughing. I really want that as a gif

5. Greg Williams and Freddy Kitchens - The team is playing with a chip because of someone. The offense is moving the ball and guys are playing with energy. Depending on how the last 5 games shake out these two could make it hard for Haslam to move on. I am not going to hold the second half against Freddy. It was a 28 point game. I would have liked a little more aggression but at the same time it would have taken a miracle from Cincinnati, and as of right now the NFL has a very limited book on Freddy Kitchen's offense. Why waste that advantage in a game you already have in the bag?

Down, yes I am still doing a down. I guess it is just the coach in me. There is always something to work on.

1. Nick Chubb - He ran more upright and soft than I have ever seen him run today. I'm not talking about second half when we were trying to milk the clock either. He was not hitting creases with aggression like normal. He did keep his legs pumping at times but his initial pop was always weak today. I think it was just a down game or he is dealing with a minor injury. I know It is not his style. Just seemed a little off.

2. Genard Avery - Clearly out of position as a 43 will IMO. He doesn't have the speed to be a chase and tackle backer and he doesn't have the speed to hang in coverage. Also, is it me or his he already pudgy compared to pre season? I think he needs to be our rush linebacker only and even hand in the dirt at times. I can see a blitzing Mike backer as well but he is certainly not a 43 off the ball linebacker.

3. Tanner Vallejo - Lost in coverage and weak against the run. 

4. Tevon Coney and anyone else lined in the right side A and B gap - A QB sneak from inside the 1, fine, it happens to every team. Getting flat run over by a QB sneak from 2 full yards out is embarrassing for the entire defense but especially the DT who was responsible for that gap. Coney was a surprise starter last season and did a fine job, but this season he has come crashing back to reality.

5. Chad Thomas - being on the inactive list yet again. I know he had the hernia surgery but my soul he should be back and ready by now. I know it wasn't a popular pick but the kid has some seriously good tape. I didn't have an opinion on the pick at the time because I had never watched him. Over the summer I watched and though wow he has something. We clearly need DL help and he cannot even get on the active roster. 

The biggest up on this team is hands down their mentality. How many years have we watched the other teams play with swagger and attitude and us look like the clear little cousin? We’ve got guys like Randall, Mayfield, etc that have swagger. And I love the fight of guys like Orson Charles barking at Cinci and not backing down. Baker has done so much to change the mentality of this team, it’s awesome. The attitude needed to be the first big change, and we’ve clearly seen that. 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, Kiwibrown said:

I dont think they were bad, they had just played better in the past, the run blocking was my focus 

Cincinnati was clearly selling out to stop the run. One of several reasons Baker had the day he did. Great job by Kitchens using multiple formations on the first drive to diagnose the Cincy defensive scheme and using it to his advantage the rest of the way

31 minutes ago, Trots said:

Cincinnati was clearly selling out to stop the run. One of several reasons Baker had the day he did. Great job by Kitchens using multiple formations on the first drive to diagnose the Cincy defensive scheme and using it to his advantage the rest of the way

You can tell which coaching staffs have been left behind with today's game in this mentality. 

Cinci game plan: "They have a rookie QB and a good RB so we have to put 8 guys in the box every drive." 

They're only doing that because it's the template for playing against a young QB. Cinci didn't even change their gameplan in quarter 2. We just threw so little which allowed the Bengals offense to step up. 

On 11/25/2018 at 4:48 PM, DawgX said:

Not to make excuses for him, but their LT was holding him ALL GAME LONG, yet was never penalized for it.

EDIT: Also, he also had way more than just one pressure. He came close multiples times today.

And next week going up against Davenport from Houston who is the most penalized tackle in the league. No reason he shouldnt get a couple calls. If he does not, then I will believe the refs are told not to call it.

2 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

And next week going up against Davenport from Houston who is the most penalized tackle in the league. No reason he shouldnt get a couple calls. If he does not, then I will believe the refs are told not to call it.

Zettel has had more tackles while subbing than Garrett and Ogbah combined in the past few games.

2 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

its PFF so take it with a grain of salt. But Myles has been putting in work even if the numbers aren’t reflecting it. 

Yep - I made it a point to zero in on Garrett every defensive snap, and he was getting close a lot of the time. Just because you don't get home for the sack doesn't mean you don't have a big impact on the play. 

10 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Yep - I made it a point to zero in on Garrett every defensive snap, and he was getting close a lot of the time. Just because you don't get home for the sack doesn't mean you don't have a big impact on the play. 

He’s pretty ineffective against the run. And his pressures aren’t effecting the play. I might be nitpicking but it doesn’t seem like he’s causing the QB to move around in the pocket abnormally. He should also be causing others to get sacks if that were the case. I dunno... someone post a video of his pressures or something...

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

He’s pretty ineffective against the run. And his pressures aren’t effecting the play. I might be nitpicking but it doesn’t seem like he’s causing the QB to move around in the pocket abnormally. He should also be causing others to get sacks if that were the case. I dunno... someone post a video of his pressures or something...

It affects an opponents game plan and the plays they call. They can't really call a lot of long developing plays unless they are doubling Garrett. The biggest problem is that we don't really have any other dominant pass rushers (we can scheme pressure in, but no guy is dominating every game), so teams are able to mitigate Garrett's effectiveness. 

13 hours ago, pnies20 said:

He’s pushing his side of the pocket quite frequently. He needs someone on that other side to step up and affect the pocket also. We’d be a really, really bad pass rushing team again without Myles. 

20 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s pushing his side of the pocket quite frequently. He needs someone on that other side to step up and affect the pocket also. We’d be a really, really bad pass rushing team again without Myles. 

we need another one

Up

1. Our QB
2. Everyone catching everything
3. Holding the opposing team to 13 second half points while playing prevent
4. 1st half game plan
5. Ending the road losing streak

Down

1. second half was boring
2. Get gashed too often on the ground
3. Hurting Dalton
4. Having to see Hue
5. We are only torching bad teams. I guess they only count as ties. So we are 2-6-3

Archived