Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Elflein hasn't earned a new contract as far as I am concerned. He's in a make or break year, but he was one of the biggest problems up front last year. 

Cook doesn't deserve a new deal until he can actually stay healthy. 

Weatherly will get one, I'm guessing between $6-8m.

Its not certain but Waynes very well could be making more than Rhodes going forward when he signs his new deal.

True...it's just all about projecting the future...personally, I see Xavier rapidly declining over the next 2 years...and as others have stated in the past about other players, I'd rather trade him 1 year too early than 1 year too late.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

True...it's just all about projecting the future...personally, I see Xavier rapidly declining over the next 2 years...and as others have stated in the past about other players, I'd rather trade him 1 year too early than 1 year too late.

I can agree with this if you expect a rapid decline. I'm not sure I'm there yet, the injuries are troubling and his play seemed to decline a bit. I'm just hesitant to pay Waynes when he may not even be a top 20 CB.

46 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm just hesitant to pay Waynes when he may not even be a top 20 CB.

It depends on what Waynes wants. I would have no problem signing Waynes to a four year extension worth $40M if the team is able to get value in return for Rhodes and his contract.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

It depends on what Waynes wants. I would have no problem signing Waynes to a four year extension worth $40M if the team is able to get value in return for Rhodes and his contract.

That would be a team friendly deal but I'd expect a bit more on average per year.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Elflein hasn't earned a new contract as far as I am concerned. He's in a make or break year, but he was one of the biggest problems up front last year. 

Cook doesn't deserve a new deal until he can actually stay healthy. 

Weatherly will get one, I'm guessing between $6-8m.

Its not certain but Waynes very well could be making more than Rhodes going forward when he signs his new deal.

You know this is Eiflins first year with an NFL off-season. Last year he was injured and the year before he spent his off-season as a rookie.

22 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

You know this is Eiflins first year with an NFL off-season. Last year he was injured and the year before he spent his off-season as a rookie.

Exactly right, but he's got a long ways to go to prove his worth for a second contract. He looked promising as a rookie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Exactly right, but he's got a long ways to go to prove his worth for a second contract. He looked promising as a rookie.

I'll be really interested to see how he does if we have competent guard play next to him. Looked good as a rookie when Berger was playing.

• 2 weeks later...

When Mike Zimmer took a brief moment Thursday during his 20-minute media session to lament criticism over the Vikings drafting cornerback Mike Hughes in last year’s first round instead of an offensive lineman, a reporter threw out Hughes was playing well before his season-ending knee injury.

Zimmer:  “Yeah, he was.I didn’t have anything to do with the pick. Rick came up to me and said, ‘Hey, if so and so isn’t there, are you O.K. if I pick Hughes?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah.’ But they act like ah, I’ve got to have a corner.”

Zimmer was noncommittal when asked whether Hughes will be ready for the Vikings’ season opener in September, more than 10 months removed from his injury.

Zimmer:  “Yeah, I don’t know.  I hope so. I don’t know.”

http://www.startribune.com/hopeful-for-opener-mike-hughes-recovery-a-factor-in-vikings-cornerback-picture/506544972/

38 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

If I was going to trade one, it would be Rhodes.....to save the future money and to get another pick(s) this year. Waynes is younger, and probably better over the next few years.

The only question is would we actually save much future money? Rhodes' cap hit is between 13-14 million over the next 4 year. Optimistically we would save 2-3 million a year I would think. I agree with your other points, but think I don't think the money difference would be big.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The only question is would we actually save much future money? Rhodes' cap hit is between 13-14 million over the next 4 year. Optimistically we would save 2-3 million a year I would think. I agree with your other points, but think I don't think the money difference would be big.

Waynes is probably making more than Rhodes on his next contract so that should be considered. I'd still prefer to keep Rhodes, I don't think Waynes has the upside to be a top tier CB. I'd move on and see what Hughes has to offer.

7 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Any money saved is still a good investment, especially when you're spending it on a 28 year old instead of a 30-31 year old.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Any money saved is still a good investment, especially when you're spending it on a 28 year old instead of a 30-31 year old.  

Right. All I was saying is there wouldn't be much, if any, cap savings. Not speaking about the players at all. $2 million equates to 2 bottom of the roster players.

32 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

We would free up more than $2-3M a year. His pro-rated signing bonus goes against the year he is moved.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavier-rhodes/2206/