Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Right. All I was saying is there wouldn't be much, if any, cap savings. Not speaking about the players at all. $2 million equates to 2 bottom of the roster players.

Bottom of the roster guys are getting $495k. If my long division isn't too far off there is a remainder leftover even after squeezing four bottom of the roster players into the $2M leftover.

And given roster limits, if the team put additional bottom of the roster guys on the team they would be displacing three other guys with higher savings too so things snowball into even more saved money.

But what actually happens since there is a limit to the number of roster spaces instead of adding bottom of the roster guys what happens is it becomes the difference between paying a Kyle Rudolph or cutting him. Or signing a Roger Saffold instead of a Ramon Foster.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Bottom of the roster guys are getting $495k. If my long division isn't too far off there is a remainder leftover even after squeezing four bottom of the roster players into the $2M leftover.

And given roster limits, if the team put additional bottom of the roster guys on the team they would be displacing three other guys with higher savings too so things snowball into even more saved money.

But what actually happens since there is a limit to the number of roster spaces instead of adding bottom of the roster guys what happens is it becomes the difference between paying a Kyle Rudolph or cutting him. Or signing a Roger Saffold instead of a Ramon Foster.

Good point! I believe it could also cover the lost cap space for cutting Laquon Treadwell.

Just now, vikestyle said:

Good point! I believe it could also cover the lost cap space for cutting Laquon Treadwell.

And that is an even better point. Using the savings to offload Treadwell is an even better cause. It is too bad the team couldn't trade Treadwell away last year at this time for a half eaten bag a stale cheetos. That they didn't do it isn't evidence that they didn't try so I don't hold it too much against them. Last year I advocated trying to get a sucker to take Treadwell. That would still be fine but this year I advocate for cutting Treadwell if the Vikings can't find a sucker.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

And that is an even better point. Using the savings to offload Treadwell is an even better cause. It is too bad the team couldn't trade Treadwell away last year at this time for a half eaten bag a stale cheetos. That they didn't do it isn't evidence that they didn't try so I don't hold it too much against them. Last year I advocated trying to get a sucker to take Treadwell. That would still be fine but this year I advocate for cutting Treadwell if the Vikings can't find a sucker.

I still held out hope for him this year. I literally jumped for joy when we drafted him and he betrayed me.

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

I still held out hope for him this year. I literally jumped for joy when we drafted him and he betrayed me.

I can't say that I didn't hold out hope for him last year. I just didn't hold out enough hope that I would have demanded anything in return to get out of his contract.

I mean, I still hold out hope for Chad Beebe and Brandon Zylstra too. I don't have a ton of hope for them ever becoming a viable #2 WR in the league, but more hope than what I had for Treadwell. And they are even cheaper. Couple that with the fact they had less experience in the league I figured they had a better chance of dramatic improvement than Treadwell. Nobody will ever get me to thinkthat the team would have kept Treadwell on the roster at that salary if the salary wasn't from a first round rookie contract and guaranteed; he would have been a straight up cut. Although, the team didn't exactly have a lot of options so who knows? Maybe they still would have chosen him over Kendall Wright and an extra $1M or some other who-dat taxi squad player and $1.5M.