Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

• 1 month later...

I think we can come back to this topic now that the season is over...and I've softened my stance now, considering the discussion I heard on PA's show yesterday and some other discussion I've heard elsewhere.  I'm now on a slight lean on actually trading Xavier for the best offer they can get (but no less than a 2nd rd pick) and extending Waynes instead. 

While I certainly prefer that they keep him and not take the cap hit by trading him, it might be in their best interest to take the cap hit now (of about $7M in 2019) rather than wait another year and possibly lose trade value in order to save another $2.5M or so in cap space then.  They'd save $6+ M in cap space in 2019 and nearly $13M in 2020, which could be used to pay Waynes then.    

The only reason I’m slightly holding back on it isn’t for the future, it’s for the now because of Zimmer/Spielman. To hold their jobs they need to win now, and trading away a veteran who put together two great years and then had a injury filled, bad all around year probably isn’t best for them. 

To me if they were going to make this trade it would have to be to target a draft pick + a veteran offensive lineman. I just can’t see it happening tho. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

The only reason I’m slightly holding back on it isn’t for the future, it’s for the now because of Zimmer/Spielman. To hold their jobs they need to win now, and trading away a veteran who put together two great years and then had a injury filled, bad all around year probably isn’t best for them. 

To me if they were going to make this trade it would have to be to target a draft pick + a veteran offensive lineman. I just can’t see it happening tho. 

The reason I've softened is that, to get something, you have to give something.  And if you are truly building for the long haul, sometimes you have to (in the words echoed about Belichick) let go of player 1 year too early rather than 1 year too late.  They can still "win now" even if they move Xavier, lose Barr and Richardson. 

I don't think it'll happen either, but it's certainly on the table...depending upon whether Mackensie can now be trusted to be the slot guy for the foreseeable future, which would free up Hughes and Hill to play on the opposite side of Waynes.

I am on the trade Rhodes bandwagon for a first to mid-second.  I think he is a top CB and the best on the team when healthy, but his availability (a growing concern going forward) lowers his value.  I am of the belief we need to get a little more young and hungry on defense, and trading Rhodes for an acceptable value is a part of that process.  I feel that having Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, and Hill still gives us a young talented CB base that should continue to improve and marginalize his loss.  If Zimmer is the D coach we think he is, he can make this group pretty successful.  Combined with adding a talented pick at a need position (OL, DT, TE, or BPA) still allows the team to put a high level defense on the field while using resources to improve on the offensive side.

Edited by Snake Plissken

Rhodes went from being in the conversation for top CB in the league to somewhat average overnight. Not sure what happened. 

Maybe it’s the culmination of the weekly phantom injuries.

Had Hughes not gotten injured, I’d be fully behind trading Xavier. Now I’m only about 60% there. I can’t imagine that he won’t be better next season. The question is “how much better will he be?” 

3 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

What did PA say?

He basically said that they almost have to trade him, if Trae Waynes is truly the #1 CB now, Mackensie Alexander is the slot corner, and they need to be able to free up cap space to improve the offensive line.  He'd have the most value in a trade and they can afford to move him.