Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

16 minutes ago, RpMc said:

A trade of Rhodes would accelerate $7.2M in dead money to the 2019 cap, and would save us $6.2M... FWIW, the AAV for a guard closest to that amount... Mike Remmers at $6M.

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. Great player but he's he getting close to 30 years old.

29 minutes ago, RpMc said:

A trade of Rhodes would accelerate $7.2M in dead money to the 2019 cap, and would save us $6.2M... FWIW, the AAV for a guard closest to that amount... Mike Remmers at $6M.

And you save another $6M by cutting Remmers, so that means you have that additional amount available to get a better guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And you save another $6M by cutting Remmers, so that means you have that additional amount available to get a better guard.

Assuming you don’t want to keep any of your other free agents, and it’s not $6M in savings for Remmers... it’s 4.55M

Edited by RpMc

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

Not sure it's worth dumping $10 million per year on a FA guard this year. Maybe look elsewhere with that money like a T (move Reiff), TE or WR3.

I’d like to keep Rhodes another year. Perhaps he rebounds and will up his trade value? Can devote part of the cap savings to extending Trae and it gives Hughes and Hill another year to learn and grow. 

Edited by VikeManDan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

There aren’t any good free agent guards this year.  If we want to get better at that spot we will have to look through the draft and hope Easton can be healthy.

There are a few "good guards" in free agency this year. Just depends on if you want to pay the "great" price, for "good" play.

I think trading Rhodes would be an extreamly bad decision, we have seen what happens when he goes out. Its a passing league and you need multiple quality corners, Mackenzie and Hughes still have a lot to prove and Hill definitely still has a lot to work on.

I just think it would set us back for these next couple contending years and not really do much for the future unless you hit a homerun with the draft pick.

The only way I would even entertain the thought would be for a middle of the pack starting Guard and a top 15 pick or a top tier Guard and a top 50 pick.

I’m willing to give Rhodes one more year, but his injuries are starting to add up and become a liability. So I wouldn’t mind moving on. But I don’t think we would be better off without him at this point, so I say keep him. Let Hill continue to develop behind him. I seriously think Hill is going to be a starting corner for this team if he can keep his nose clean  

If Xav has another bad year next season  then I think that’s the point where we move on. Should be even easier to get out of his contract by then as well. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Kparty15 said:

There aren’t any good free agent guards this year.  If we want to get better at that spot we will have to look through the draft and hope Easton can be healthy.

Or, make a player trade.

23 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Or, make a player trade.

Who are some guards out there we could trade for? Usually, a player isn't gonna get traded unless they are old and no longer playing up to their contract, young and the team doesn't want to pay them, or the team has a surplus at the position. Are there any good candidates out there that you can think of?