Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Right. All I was saying is there wouldn't be much, if any, cap savings. Not speaking about the players at all. $2 million equates to 2 bottom of the roster players.

Bottom of the roster guys are getting $495k. If my long division isn't too far off there is a remainder leftover even after squeezing four bottom of the roster players into the $2M leftover.

And given roster limits, if the team put additional bottom of the roster guys on the team they would be displacing three other guys with higher savings too so things snowball into even more saved money.

But what actually happens since there is a limit to the number of roster spaces instead of adding bottom of the roster guys what happens is it becomes the difference between paying a Kyle Rudolph or cutting him. Or signing a Roger Saffold instead of a Ramon Foster.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Bottom of the roster guys are getting $495k. If my long division isn't too far off there is a remainder leftover even after squeezing four bottom of the roster players into the $2M leftover.

And given roster limits, if the team put additional bottom of the roster guys on the team they would be displacing three other guys with higher savings too so things snowball into even more saved money.

But what actually happens since there is a limit to the number of roster spaces instead of adding bottom of the roster guys what happens is it becomes the difference between paying a Kyle Rudolph or cutting him. Or signing a Roger Saffold instead of a Ramon Foster.

Good point! I believe it could also cover the lost cap space for cutting Laquon Treadwell.

Just now, vikestyle said:

Good point! I believe it could also cover the lost cap space for cutting Laquon Treadwell.

And that is an even better point. Using the savings to offload Treadwell is an even better cause. It is too bad the team couldn't trade Treadwell away last year at this time for a half eaten bag a stale cheetos. That they didn't do it isn't evidence that they didn't try so I don't hold it too much against them. Last year I advocated trying to get a sucker to take Treadwell. That would still be fine but this year I advocate for cutting Treadwell if the Vikings can't find a sucker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

And that is an even better point. Using the savings to offload Treadwell is an even better cause. It is too bad the team couldn't trade Treadwell away last year at this time for a half eaten bag a stale cheetos. That they didn't do it isn't evidence that they didn't try so I don't hold it too much against them. Last year I advocated trying to get a sucker to take Treadwell. That would still be fine but this year I advocate for cutting Treadwell if the Vikings can't find a sucker.

I still held out hope for him this year. I literally jumped for joy when we drafted him and he betrayed me.

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

I still held out hope for him this year. I literally jumped for joy when we drafted him and he betrayed me.

I can't say that I didn't hold out hope for him last year. I just didn't hold out enough hope that I would have demanded anything in return to get out of his contract.

I mean, I still hold out hope for Chad Beebe and Brandon Zylstra too. I don't have a ton of hope for them ever becoming a viable #2 WR in the league, but more hope than what I had for Treadwell. And they are even cheaper. Couple that with the fact they had less experience in the league I figured they had a better chance of dramatic improvement than Treadwell. Nobody will ever get me to thinkthat the team would have kept Treadwell on the roster at that salary if the salary wasn't from a first round rookie contract and guaranteed; he would have been a straight up cut. Although, the team didn't exactly have a lot of options so who knows? Maybe they still would have chosen him over Kendall Wright and an extra $1M or some other who-dat taxi squad player and $1.5M.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Only two years ago, Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes was one of the best at his position in the NFL. He earned All-Pro honors. In the 22 games since, Rhodes has 16 penalties. Seven of the flags have come in the eight games this season, including a 19-yard pass interference call against him Thursday night.

Rhodes said he has a target on his back with officials.

Rhodes: “If it’s a 50-50 chance, they’re going to call that on me every time, I know that. Coaches know that. Everyone on the team knows that. That’s why I don’t trip about it no more. Earlier in my career I’d get mad, but I know what I’m going against. I guess I have a rep, a name out there in the league and I have to change it. It’s up to me to change it. Right now, I’m hurting my team. They’re helping me out with the wins, it’s the penalties that’s been killing me. I feel like in coverage, I’ve been in great coverage all the games I’ve played, but it’s the penalties that have been killing me.”

The flag Rhodes got Thursday night “does not bother” coach Mike Zimmer, who said he would have challenged the call if Al Riveron had a better track record for overturning them. Zimmer added he’s “good” with Rhodes.

Zimmer:“He’s got to play as a power forward and if he gets some penalties, he’s going to get some.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/25/xavier-rhodes-says-his-seven-penalties-are-hurting-my-team/

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Only two years ago, Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes was one of the best at his position in the NFL. He earned All-Pro honors. In the 22 games since, Rhodes has 16 penalties. Seven of the flags have come in the eight games this season, including a 19-yard pass interference call against him Thursday night.

Rhodes said he has a target on his back with officials.

Rhodes: “If it’s a 50-50 chance, they’re going to call that on me every time, I know that. Coaches know that. Everyone on the team knows that. That’s why I don’t trip about it no more. Earlier in my career I’d get mad, but I know what I’m going against. I guess I have a rep, a name out there in the league and I have to change it. It’s up to me to change it. Right now, I’m hurting my team. They’re helping me out with the wins, it’s the penalties that’s been killing me. I feel like in coverage, I’ve been in great coverage all the games I’ve played, but it’s the penalties that have been killing me.”

The flag Rhodes got Thursday night “does not bother” coach Mike Zimmer, who said he would have challenged the call if Al Riveron had a better track record for overturning them. Zimmer added he’s “good” with Rhodes.

Zimmer:“He’s got to play as a power forward and if he gets some penalties, he’s going to get some.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/25/xavier-rhodes-says-his-seven-penalties-are-hurting-my-team/

The fact that he is delusional now is what makes this even worse. Being “great” in coverage wouldn’t have offenses specifically targeting you. It’s terrible because he was such a GREAT corner. Like this was the dude that locked down Antonio Brown so bad they had to move him into the slot mid game, and he is responsible for the WORST game in Odell Beckham’s amazing career. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what to think about him.  

I have a feeling (hope) that he will turn it around.  

I think they could get a 3rd rounder at most for him.  Currently at least.  We aren’t the Patriots but I know they’d be rid of him this year or last.  

Trade him to Indianapolis for a 3rd or 4th.

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rhodes has played raggedly all year, a far cry from the player he once was and far more of a liability than an asset, especially at a cap number of $13.3 million. Undoubtedly, he’ll be a former Viking after the season, unless he takes a major reduction in his pay. Even then, the Vikings are better off grooming younger, cheaper talent that is ascending not descending.

After the Seattle game, Rhodes declined to talk to reporters, saying “I’m out the door.” He has no idea how accurate that observation will soon be.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/03/another-rough-night-for-xavier-rhodes/

• Like 4

This article backs up what just about all of us are saying, namely, that Xavier Rhodes should be riding the pine.  The results of the poll at the end of the article are very telling as well.  One of the things that bothers me the most is that he still seems to have a prima donna attitude.  It makes him look like he doesn't believe he needs to work on anything himself, it's just his mistakes by his teammates, bad luck, bad refereeing, etc., etc..  You can get away with that when you are playing like an All Pro, but when you are the 109th ranked cornerback out of 119 (by PFF), it kind of makes for a bad look.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/12/3/20993867/vikings-bench-xavier-rhodes

Edited by Uncle Buck