Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

This article backs up what just about all of us are saying, namely, that Xavier Rhodes should be riding the pine.  The results of the poll at the end of the article are very telling as well.  One of the things that bothers me the most is that he still seems to have a prima donna attitude.  It makes him look like he doesn't believe he needs to work on anything himself, it's just his mistakes by his teammates, bad luck, bad refereeing, etc., etc..  You can get away with that when you are playing like an All Pro, but when you are the 109th ranked cornerback out of 119 (by PFF), it kind of makes for a bad look.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/12/3/20993867/vikings-bench-xavier-rhodes

I haven't read the article yet but I get the feeling that's he's about as frustrated by his play as anyone

Edited by vikesfan89

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'll give credit where credit is due.  Xavier apologizes for his childish behavior on the sidelines. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/xavier-rhodes-issues-apology-for-his-actions-during-monday-night-football-loss-to-the-seahawks/

I really liked hearing this from Xavier.  In the past couple of years I've gotten the impression that his past success had gone to his head and that he didn't want to accept or face any kind of criticism for any of the mistakes he made on the field. 

This sounded like a very heartfelt apology and coming from a man who now realizes that he has to meet these challenges head-on, rather than deflecting as he has done in the past.  If he still has what it takes physically to play like a top cornerback, I think he may have finally gotten into the right place mentally to put it all together again.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Edited by Uncle Buck

16 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I haven't read the article yet but I get the feeling that's he's about as frustrated by his play as anyone

But why is his play so much worse than it was 2 years ago.  Is it just natural loss of speed from age bothering him to the point that he's fixated on that so much he can't conentrate on game situations to make the correct judgement on individual plays?  I can't believe that.  I played organised hockey at a level high enough to know that decisions on plays should be instinctive based on internalised knowledge you've learned mainly subconsciously mostly from your past game experience and a little from what your coaches taught you and you learned in practise.  He's making some bad decisions (mental errors), but also seems slower.  Maybe past injuries have made him slower. 

Some posters have said that they expect him to get back to his previous level (not sure if they mean "A" level of 3 seasons ago, or "B" level of 2 seasons ago, or "C" level of last season.  Right now he's at "F" level (complete detriment and liability).  Personally, I have no hope that he'll EVER be able to reach the "A" level again (mainly due to his age and perhaps past injuries).  And I haven't seen anything in his play or attitude that leads me to believe he'll get back to the "B" level.  I think that an attitude change can get him back to "C"(adequate), but maybe not with this team(especially because his salary is too high to justify "average" CB play). Maybe we have to hope for an attitude change and some flashes of adequate play for the rest of this season in carefully sheltered situations, and playing the other CBs on most important downs?

6 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

But why is his play so much worse than it was 2 years ago.  Is it just natural loss of speed from age bothering him to the point that he's fixated on that so much he can't conentrate on game situations to make the correct judgement on individual plays?  I can't believe that.  I played organised hockey at a level high enough to know that decisions on plays should be instinctive based on internalised knowledge you've learned mainly subconsciously mostly from your past game experience and a little from what your coaches taught you and you learned in practise.  He's making some bad decisions (mental errors), but also seems slower.  Maybe past injuries have made him slower. 

Some posters have said that they expect him to get back to his previous level (not sure if they mean "A" level of 3 seasons ago, or "B" level of 2 seasons ago, or "C" level of last season.  Right now he's at "F" level (complete detriment and liability).  Personally, I have no hope that he'll EVER be able to reach the "A" level again (mainly due to his age and perhaps past injuries).  And I haven't seen anything in his play or attitude that leads me to believe he'll get back to the "B" level.  I think that an attitude change can get him back to "C"(adequate), but maybe not with this team(especially because his salary is too high to justify "average" CB play). Maybe we have to hope for an attitude change and some flashes of adequate play for the rest of this season in carefully sheltered situations, and playing the other CBs on most important downs?

How many other mental mistakes has he had? Blown coverages happen sometimes. How else would Treadwell have gotten so wide open

18 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How many other mental mistakes has he had? Blown coverages happen sometimes. How else would Treadwell have gotten so wide open

So, is it mainly then just loss of speed due to age and injuries that has caused his play to deteriorate so much?  Do you think he should be taken out of the starting lineup?  Do you see him able to get his play back up to an adequate level THIS season?  A team's defence is only as good as its weakest link.  Opposing offences are picking on him more and more, and he's getting burned or taking a penalty most of the plays they're going to his man.  How should The Vikings respond to this situation?  Zimmers says everything is fine.  But, I think something has to be changed. 

Edited by Robb_K

It is a mystery to me why Holton Hill isn't getting more playing time.  Is he still in Zim's dog house because of the suspension, or does he really think Rhodes is still better at this point?  Hill looked very good when he was playing last year.  Based on that, it's hard to believe he wouldn't be an improvement.

28 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

So, is it mainly then just loss of speed due to age and injuries that has caused his play to deteriorate so much?  Do you think he should be taken out of the starting lineup?  Do you see him able to get his play back up to an adequate level THIS season?  A team's defence is only as good as its weakest link.  Opposing offences are picking on him more and more, and he's getting burned or taking a penalty most of the plays they're going to his man.  How should The Vikings respond to this situation?  Zimmers says everything is fine.  But, I think something has to be changed. 

I think there is a chance that he could bounce back some in the future once he figures out how to play with less physical ability but I wouldn't bank on it. 

I think his playing time should be reduced quite a bit but I'd understand not benching him completely and keeping him involved a bit in case he is needed later in the season. 

I hope how gets a chance this week