Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I bet the Raiders could be persuaded to part with Osemele given the direction that they seem to be going in. His contract runs the same length as Cousins' and doesn't carry any dead money.

He also had a career worst year. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by a ton of other talent.

14 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

He also had a career worst year. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by a ton of other talent.

He won't be surrounded by a lot of OL talent in MN either. Reiff is mediocre and Elflein is terrible. At least last year's version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Who are some guards out there we could trade for? Usually, a player isn't gonna get traded unless they are old and no longer playing up to their contract, young and the team doesn't want to pay them, or the team has a surplus at the position. Are there any good candidates out there that you can think of?

I am not thinking that this is a likely option.  It's a rarely used option for a reason.  But, it's an option nonetheless.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd prefer to keep all the CBs and trade Barr, but as another poster alluded too, tag and trades are rare. 

Tag and trade is pretty risky too. If the trade fell through the team would be left holding Barr at his ~$15M cap hit for the year. That is an unacceptable number for Barr IMO.

Even if the trade didn't fall through the team would have to have that much space clear on their cap until the trade is complete. Where is that going to come from? At the expense of being able to sign Roger Saffold or Ramon Foster when the best options are signed early in free agency? No thanks.

If Barr wants to sign a reasonable deal before free agency, that is great. Or if Barr wants to explore free agency and than come back to the Vikings at a reasonable price after not getting what he wants out there, that is great. If Barr finds someone to pay him $15M per year, I am happy for Barr. Good for him. The Vikings shouldn't be looking to pay him that kind of money though.

If the choice is going into the draft with Idisora and Barr as starting OG and OLB versus going into the draft with Saffold and Wilson as the starting OG and OLB it is really a pretty easy decision for me. Barr would be getting his money somewhere else. It isn't that I don't like Barr as a player. It is just the reality of the cap, personal team building philosophy, and the numbers game.

How Rhodes factors into this? Probably not at all IMO. Adding him to the equation would be entirely dependent on getting a great trade offer for him. If they can get a great trade offer I would entertain the thought of Barr and a top free agent guard with Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, and Hill as the top four CBs. That would be fine but dependent on getting great value in the Rhodes trade. If the team can get an elite guard in a trade that would be great. If the team could get a first round pick and the cap savings to sign a guard while keeping Barr I would think about it. Though I still would rather have Rhodes than Barr on defense. Much rather save cap space at LB than CB.

8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Tag and trade is pretty risky too. If the trade fell through the team would be left holding Barr at his ~$15M cap hit for the year. That is an unacceptable number for Barr IMO.

But at the same time, I doubt that Barr would be thrilled to sign the tag and which may give the Vikings time to see if a trade materializes with a team that could sign him to the deal he is looking for. 

I think we need to try and trade Rhodes for a first in 2021.  Start the tank on offense, aquire 3+ 1st rounders in 2021 and draft Lawrence.  Lets do this right.  Trade Rhodes, play next season out with Hughes and Waynes, if we succeed then bonus, if its a failure or step back, we need drastic change.

I say we keep Rhodes. The man was THE MAN for two years straight before this year. He may of had some injuries that he needed time to heal from, he did not look as fast as normal and he kept getting hamstring injuries. Give him some time this offseason to heal, I think he will be better.

9 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

But at the same time, I doubt that Barr would be thrilled to sign the tag and which may give the Vikings time to see if a trade materializes with a team that could sign him to the deal he is looking for. 

The Vikings would still need that amount available on their cap. Franchise players cannot be traded until after they are signed.

6 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

I think we need to try and trade Rhodes for a first in 2021.  Start the tank on offense, aquire 3+ 1st rounders in 2021 and draft Lawrence.  Lets do this right.  Trade Rhodes, play next season out with Hughes and Waynes, if we succeed then bonus, if its a failure or step back, we need drastic change.

Ummm, no.