Week 13: VIKINGS (6-4-1) at Patriots (8-3)

swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

And it’s games like the one against Green Bay that shows he is a top 10 QB. 

Cousins may not be a top 5 QB. But when talking about the QBs who are in the discussion as top 10, Cousins is in the thick of that group. 

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Wilson, Ryan, Goff, and Luck

i don't think he's in the conversation with the QBs mentioned above. 

I think he's closer to that 11-15 group, basically average to above average territory. Same grouping as Stafford, Newton, Wentz, Dalton, and Watson. 

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Wilson, Ryan, Goff, and Luck

i don't think he's in the conversation with the QBs mentioned above. 

I think he's closer to that 11-15 group, basically average to above average territory. Same grouping as Stafford, Newton, Wentz, Dalton, and Watson. 

Have watch Ryan play? He’s just as inconsistent as Cousins. Same goes for Rivers, Luck and Roethlisberger over their careers. Luck had a great 5 game stretch, but look at the first 6 games, look at his last game. Rivers has had a very good year, but his career has been nothing but up and down  One week he’ll throw 4 touchdowns, the next week he’ll throw 4 interceptions. Roethlisberger is another QB who lives and dies by the big play. He’ll make some impressive touchdown throws, and then leave you scratching your head with some boneheaded turnovers (like the Broncos game this year).

Outisde of Brady, Brees, Rodgers and probably Wilson, no other quartback plays at a game in, game out high level.

Quite honestly, the QBs that rank from 5-15 likely changes weekly. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Have watch Ryan play? He’s just as inconsistent as Cousins. Same goes for Rivers, Luck and Roethlisberger over their careers. Luck had a great 5 game stretch, but look at the first 6 games, look at his last game. Rivers has had a very good year, but his career has been nothing but up and down  One week he’ll throw 4 touchdowns, the next week he’ll throw 4 interceptions. Roethlisberger is another QB who lives and dies by the big play. He’ll make some impressive touchdown throws, and then leave you scratching your head with some boneheaded turnovers (like the Broncos game this year).

Outisde of Brady, Brees, Rodgers and probably Wilson, no other quartback plays at a game in, game out high level.

Quite honestly, the QBs that rank from 5-15 likely changes weekly. 

I don't think Cousins is nearly as accomplished as Ryan, Rivers, Big Ben and Luck. 

Ryan and Big Ben have been inconsistent but their peaks are much higher than what Cousibs offers and these two QBs have had playoff success. How many playoff appearances or wins has Cousins been apart of. 

Rivers and Luck have been held back by being stuck on some crappy franchises. Talent wise, they are both well above Cousins. Obviously, injuries have hurt Luck.

Its hard for me to take Cousins over Goff and Mahomes based on how elite their play has been this year. Again, I don't think Cousins has the ability to play that well. He's a poor man's Matt Ryan. Those two are very similar but Ryan has had higher peaks and more playoff success. 

Has Cousins taken over a single game at any point this year? Maybe Green Bay. That's it. Average. That's Cousins. Absolutely average. Big stats, crap results. 

Honestly, who here would've taken Alex Smith at 23 million per year over Kirk?

Raising my hand. 

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Anyone who argues that Cousins is a top ten QB at this point is delusional. He's Andy Dalton. Plain and simple. Good news is that it is only a 3 year contract. Vikings should draft a QB high this year. 

That's a ludicrous comment.  He's not Andy Dalton.  Fans need to get off the crazy train with these kinds of comments...comparing Cousins to Dalton and Zimmer to Marvin Lewis.  That's like comparing Meryl Streep to Megan Fox in their acting skills.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's a ludicrous comment.  He's not Andy Dalton.  Fans need to get off the crazy train with these kinds of comments...comparing Cousins to Dalton and Zimmer to Marvin Lewis.  That's like comparing Meryl Streep to Megan Fox in their acting skills.  

I think it's clear that Zimmer and Cousins are both more talented than Lewis and Dalton. However, the results have largely been the same.

i do think it's fair to rank Cousins and Dalton in roughly the same tier but Cousins has a better argument right now.

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Andy. Dalton. He is no better. He's all stats and a bunch of crunch time turnovers. 

Obviously, you haven't been watching the same QB I have.  While I can certainly see the all stats, the "crunch time turnovers" aren't there.  He's been turning the ball over at times, but rarely have they been in "crunch time."  

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think it's clear that Zimmer and Cousins are both more talented than Lewis and Dalton. However, the results have largely been the same.

i do think it's fair to rank Cousins and Dalton in roughly the same tier but Cousins has a better argument right now.

Statistically, they may be similar, but if you've watched either of them, they aren't the same.  It's a ridiculous comparison and appears to be a comment made out of bitterness rather than objectivity.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Statistically, they may be similar, but if you've watched either of them, they aren't the same.  It's a ridiculous comparison and appears to be a comment made out of bitterness rather than objectivity.  

I have no issue if Cousins is referred to being an average to above average QB. Because he is if you look at his peers in that 11-16 range. A case could be made for anyone in that 11-16 group, it's close. Dalton is below average at this point. 

If you'll remember I was never high on the Cousin's signing.  I got a lot of people hot and bothered because I invited those curious to look beyond the statistics he put up in DC.  He is the same QB in Minnesota that he was in Washington.  He will play one or two great games a year, one or two stinking games a year, and ten to twelve barely average games a year. 

Believe me when I say, I hope that he can still turn it around, but he's been a starter in this league for a number of years and hasn't really grown all that much.  He's "my" QB as long as he's on the team...I will pull for him hard...but he's got work to do.

19 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If you'll remember I was never high on the Cousin's signing.  I got a lot of people hot and bothered because I invited those curious to look beyond the statistics he put up in DC.  He is the same QB in Minnesota that he was in Washington.  He will play one or two great games a year, one or two stinking games a year, and ten to twelve barely average games a year. 

Believe me when I say, I hope that he can still turn it around, but he's been a starter in this league for a number of years and hasn't really grown all that much.  He's "my" QB as long as he's on the team...I will pull for him hard...but he's got work to do.

It's been so long since the Vikes have had a decent QB. I can see why he can quickly become overrated, in addition to the perceived value based on his contract. Just wish his good games could come against good teams.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I know right, I love Megan ;)

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Has Cousins taken over a single game at any point this year? Maybe Green Bay.

Maybe? The fact that you can’t even give the guy credit for a dominant perfomance just shows your bias. Cousins absolutely took over the Green Bay game, and quite frankly both of them. He’s also been a primary reason that this team has either been close in games (the Rams), or he’s made great throws when it matters. Cousins is an above average quarterback. Does that mean he’s great? Probably not. But above average is still better than what we’ve watched the last decade, and minus one fluke season, this century. 

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Honestly, who here would've taken Alex Smith at 23 million per year over Kirk?

That’s interesting. Considering that Smith wasn’t a free agent, would your hand still be up to send Trae Waynes and a 3rd round pick to Kansas City, plus giving $94M to a 34 year old QB, and tying him to your franchise through at least 2021?

Archived