Week 13: VIKINGS (6-4-1) at Patriots (8-3)

swede700

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Always loved Patterson as a person and player. He's a humble, genuine, and hard-working kid with an infectious personality and he was willing to do anything asked of him without complaint. I always thought he should have been utilized a lot more as a running back, if not permanently becoming one. 

32 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Always loved Patterson as a person and player. He's a humble, genuine, and hard-working kid with an infectious personality and he was willing to do anything asked of him without complaint. I always thought he should have been utilized a lot more as a running back, if not permanently becoming one. 

I remember a while back, someone posted the measurements and combine numbers of Patterson and Peterson and they were pretty close to identical. Doesn't necessarily mean Patterson is a RB, but I always thought it was an interesting comparison.

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Not really the first word that comes to mind, but that’s more off the field. 

15 hours ago, Krauser said:

Rodgers murdered them in week 2 in 1 minute drills and also beat the Niners driving the length of the field in something like 30 seconds. It was completely reasonable to kill clock given that their 1st down plays and penalties kept putting them in unfavorable situations on that drive.

51 yards is a longer FG than you’d like to end up with before halftime but it was makeable, and Bailey did in fact make it, only to have it taken off the board for a false start that should’ve been called as a NZI against GB. Even then, the Packers roughed the kicker on the 56 yarder he missed, so he should’ve had another crack at it from 51, or really from 41. 

Decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in the red zone was very smart. 6 point (and therefore 13 point) leads are much more dangerous than 3 point (10 point) leads. You’re better off if the trailing team is playing for a tying FG (and a 50/50 OT) than a winning TD. 

They had the right play call — if Cousins doesn’t get the throw batted down, it’s 1st and goal with 5 minutes left and they’re very likely going to be up 17 at the 2 minute warning. 

Zimmer is legitimately one of the best schematic defensive coaches in recent NFL history, particularly in terms of his pressure packages and coverage concepts. No doubt that Belichick is sincere in complimenting his track record. 

Those were exactly my thoughts as I was watching the game.  I was completely confounded (even though I shouldn't be surprised) by the complaints over going for it on 4th and 2.  It was the right call.  Kicking a FG there does nothing for you and possibly could have been detrimental (as you also inferred).  And I thought the way they handled the end of the first half was absolutely the right way to handle it.  There's no need to rush the ball down the field and then possibly give the Packers momentum going into the half and getting the ball out of the half first.  

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Off the field, he seemed to be a nice kid (I met him at his jersey retirement ceremony in Hutchinson, KS), but still certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.  But, that's okay.  He also didn't come off to me as a real hard worker.  He did alright, but I think with his limitations on the "mental part" of the game (like Spielman has said in one of those training camp bits about PA), he needed to work even harder than he has.  

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

He had his style, but he was never talking himself up, putting others down, or aggrandizing himself. He was flashy in his dress, but he never complained, and seemed to be the consummate teammate and professional. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He had his style, but he was never talking himself up, putting others down, or aggrandizing himself. He was flashy in his dress, but he never complained, and seemed to be the consummate teammate and professional. 

Patterson may not have been your typical NFL player from a personality standpoint. I don't think that's a character concern. I think there are some legit work ethic concerns though or maybe lack of focus. It seems he spent more time on his physical ability instead of the mental part of being a good route runner. Patterson worked hard, just don't know if he worked smartly.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Patterson may not have been your typical NFL player from a personality standpoint. I don't think that's a character concern. I think there are some legit work ethic concerns though or maybe lack of focus. It seems he spent more time on his physical ability instead of the mental part of being a good route runner. Patterson worked hard, just don't know if he worked smartly.

Yes.  I never thought he had great football intelligence.

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

In the media, perhaps not, but if you’ll remember I brought this up during his draft year that he didn’t treat those associated with the team, in terms of female training staff, at both UT and later with the Vikings with due respect and was described to me as someone who, “thinks their S don’t stink and they can do/get away with whatever they’d like.”

again, nothing to do with the way he acted with his teammates, or in the media. You can take that for whatever it’s worth, I’m not trying to color anyone’s perceptions here. 

Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs did not practice Wednesday because of a knee injury.

Receiver Adam Thielen no longer is listed with a lower back, but he was limited by a calf injury.

Cornerback Xavier Rhodes‘ right hamstring injury kept him out of Wednesday’s practice, but coach Mike Zimmer is optimistic Rhodes plays Sunday. 

The Vikings also practiced without receiver Chad Beebe (hamstring) and tight end David Morgan (knee).

Linebacker Ben Gedeon (concussion) was limited.

Guard Mike Remmers (lower back), guard Tom Compton (knee) and linebacker Eric Kendricks (chest) were full participants.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/28/adam-thielen-limited-in-practice-stefon-diggs-sits/

Bill Belichick:  “I think that coach Zimmer’s done, as usual, a tremendous job with his team. 13-3 last year, we saw a little bit of them at the end of the year, and then obviously this year, getting the schedule, a team we weren’t familiar with. We spent some time on them over the offseason and it looks like, to me, they’re even better than they were last year. They’re a very, very good football team. They have good talent. They’re really well coached. Defensively, this is, I’d say, as good of coaching as we’ll face. I think Mike does a tremendous job with fundamentals, with their schemes. They are very, very challenging, particularly in the critical situations — third down, red area, two-minute, things like that. They’re very good. He’s a great coach and has been for a long time and has that unit playing extremely well.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/28/bill-belichick-mike-zimmer-have-mutual-admiration/

Archived