TACT XIX: Totally Worth A 1st, Thanks Oakland!!

D82

11 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I like Gallup and you're right much cheaper with similar production when targeted the same amount.  It's a shame that WR's like Cooper demand 20 million a season.  It really puts you guys in a bind.  Personally the smart move is to cut bait and let him walk but I doubt Jones allows that to happen.  

We are sitting at somewhere around $86MM in cap space right now. We have the ability to free up an additional $10MM by cutting Chris Jones and restructuring Zack Martin's contract. 

The team can comfortably afford to re-sign Dak, Cooper, and Byron Jones and still have plenty of room leftover. Cooper has some negatives, but he was worth the first rounder we gave up for him. That said, I probably wouldn't re-sign him either given Gallup's emergence and the strength of this WR class in the upcoming draft...but after giving up what we did to get him, I don't see the front office letting him walk away. 

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How are you guys liking giving up a 1st rounder for a number 2 WR you'll have to pay 20 a year or allow him to walk.  My Raiders fleeced you guys on that one.  Straight highway robbery!!!!  Hahaha

Take away Coopers 4 100 yard games in 2019 and he averaged under 50 per game in the remaining 12.  I would hardly call Hoodini, who plays soft and disappears for games on end a number 1 unless you're a clueless fan who drinks the media Kool Aid.  I forgot to mention all of those drops LOL.  "NFL Network says Cooper is a great Wr, therefore he must be".  SMH

If Dallas management was smart, which they clearly are not, they would have never traded for Houdini.  They did and now they have a dilemma on their hands.  The smart play is to let him walk if he demands around 20 per, which I assume he will but I doubt Mr. plastic surgery (Jerry Jones) will allow that to happen.  If he does sign Cooper to 20ish be prepared to be stuck in mediocrity as long as that contract is hamstringing your roster.  

This guy talking about who’s front office being smart? How’s that 10 year 100 million contract with Gruden going? Maybe playing the long game here hence why the ten years? 

4 hours ago, TheBeast23 said:

This guy talking about who’s front office being smart? How’s that 10 year 100 million contract with Gruden going? Maybe playing the long game here hence why the ten years? 

I am not disagreeing that Gruden is overpaid as Mark Davis was clearly desperate as no respectable coach would touch the dumpster fire the Raiders have been for many years.  Unlike Cooper Grudens contract has no barring on the salary cap.  Keep in mind Gruden inherited a dumpster fire of a roster that needed a complete overhaul and that takes years which is why he hired Mayock to deal with the cap, handle FA signings and drafting. 

Most of the draft picks made by the former GM have been cut or let go in some capacity, all of which were good long term moves.  From day 1 I have been advocated for trading both Mack and Cooper and the only negative for the Mack trade is that I feel we should have received more in compensation.  This team was no where close to competing for a SB with Mack on the roster and playing a 30 year old DE 25 million a year is a terrible move with a team that is rebuilding from the ground up.

Cooper is clearly not what you guys were hoping you were getting when you traded for him.  I blame a lot of that on the media talking head stooges that label Cooper as some great elite#1 WR which he clearly is not.  I have been a huge critic of Cooper from the day he was over drafted as the number 4 pick.  I watched him very closely in Oakland as I never was able to see why the media pumped him up with players such as Michael Thomas, Nuk and Julio.

I couldn't have been more pleased when we received a 1st round pick for a WR I feel is not elite and about to get paid a ton of money.  The media made it appear that Jerry Jones fleeced us for this Super Star stud and I was sitting there laughing at the narrative the media was portraying.  You guys are in a terrible predicament with Cooper.  You paid Zeke which was a very smart move, paid DL,  Dak will want somewhere in the 40 range which I feel is downright laughable but I don't want to rile you guys up too much here.  Then you have Cooper who is demanding 20 per season which is terrible value for the player Cooper is.  Jones traded a 1st for Cooper so I have a hard time believing that he will let him walk.  Letting him walk is clearly the correct move but will Jones ego get in the way of his better judgement?

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I am not disagreeing that Gruden is overpaid as Mark Davis was clearly desperate as no respectable coach would touch the dumpster fire the Raiders have been for many years.  Unlike Cooper Grudens contract has no barring on the salary cap.  Keep in mind Gruden inherited a dumpster fire of a roster that needed a complete overhaul and that takes years which is why he hired Mayock to deal with the cap, handle FA signings and drafting. 

Most of the draft picks made by the former GM have been cut or let go in some capacity, all of which were good long term moves.  From day 1 I have been advocated for trading both Mack and Cooper and the only negative for the Mack trade is that I feel we should have received more in compensation.  This team was no where close to competing for a SB with Mack on the roster and playing a 30 year old DE 25 million a year is a terrible move with a team that is rebuilding from the ground up.

Cooper is clearly not what you guys were hoping you were getting when you traded for him.  I blame a lot of that on the media talking head stooges that label Cooper as some great elite#1 WR which he clearly is not.  I have been a huge critic of Cooper from the day he was over drafted as the number 4 pick.  I watched him very closely in Oakland as I never was able to see why the media pumped him up with players such as Michael Thomas, Nuk and Julio.

I couldn't have been more pleased when we received a 1st round pick for a WR I feel is not elite and about to get paid a ton of money.  The media made it appear that Jerry Jones fleeced us for this Super Star stud and I was sitting there laughing at the narrative the media was portraying.  You guys are in a terrible predicament with Cooper.  You paid Zeke which was a very smart move, paid DL,  Dak will want somewhere in the 40 range which I feel is downright laughable but I don't want to rile you guys up too much here.  Then you have Cooper who is demanding 20 per season which is terrible value for the player Cooper is.  Jones traded a 1st for Cooper so I have a hard time believing that he will let him walk.  Letting him walk is clearly the correct move but will Jones ego get in the way of his better judgement?

We were 3-5 when we traded for Cooper, and I was absolutely appalled at the trade. We went 7-1 after the trade and he was a huge part of it. We won a playoff game, and he had a solid game in the divisional round despite us losing.

That alone was worth a 1st to Jerry as he knows his time is short, and can't have any wasted years. He had to get to the playoffs and give himself a shot. He did. 

I'm not this biggest fan of Cooper and I think he is softer than charmin. But we ultimately traded pick 27 for him. It's not like it was a top 10 pick. N'Keal Harry was the only 1st round WR picked after 27. 

Lots of solid 2nd rounders in Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and DK Metcalf. The latter of those was passed over for Tryston Hill.

Edited by DaBoys

27 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I think literally every Cowboys fan disagrees with this hot take. We love Cooper. 

On 1/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, WizardHawk said:

When I think of people volunteering to run a marathon, the first thing that comes to mind is that person must hate themselves.

If that's what you think about someone volunteering to do it, I wonder what you'll think when you find out we actually have to pay to run?!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

We were 3-5 when we traded for Cooper, and I was absolutely appalled at the trade. We went 7-1 after the trade and he was a huge part of it. We won a playoff game, and he had a solid game in the divisional round despite us losing.

That alone was worth a 1st to Jerry as he knows his time is short, and can't have any wasted years. He had to get to the playoffs and give himself a shot. He did. 

I'm not this biggest fan of Cooper and I think he is softer than charmin. But we ultimately traded pick 27 for him. It's not like it was a top 10 pick. N'Keal Harry was the only 1st round WR picked after 27. 

Lots of solid 2nd rounders in Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and DK Metcalf. The latter of those was passed over for Tryston Hill.

I appreciate that you don't have blinders on and see that Cooper is as you say, "softer than Charmin".  You're right, he is soft.

I am not saying that Cooper is a terrible WR, he clearly is not but what I have said all along is that he is not an elite #1 which no one should question unless one believes the talking head shills in the media.  

The Raiders did not part with Cooper for any other reason than his upcoming contract and the terrible value it poses.  That is the big issue with Cooper that the media fails to talk about.  Paying 20 million for a WR with Coopers skillset is downright foolish as it will hurt the long term success of your team as he will never live up to that price tag.  That being said what would you do and what do you see Jerry and Co. doing with him? Is there a chance he does the right thing and let some other team overpay for him? 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I appreciate that you don't have blinders on and see that Cooper is as you say, "softer than Charmin".  You're right, he is soft.

I am not saying that Cooper is a terrible WR, he clearly is not but what I have said all along is that he is not an elite #1 which no one should question unless one believes the talking head shills in the media.  

The Raiders did not part with Cooper for any other reason than his upcoming contract and the terrible value it poses.  That is the big issue with Cooper that the media fails to talk about.  Paying 20 million for a WR with Coopers skillset is downright foolish as it will hurt the long term success of your team as he will never live up to that price tag.  That being said what would you do and what do you see Jerry and Co. doing with him? Is there a chance he does the right thing and let some other team overpay for him? 

I would try to work out a contract for less than 20 a year. He is probably on the Sammy Watkins/Brandin Cooks teir. Which is about 16m. I could see 17 or 18 being the number.

As others have pointed out, we have tons of cap space, so I see him getting paid.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I would try to work out a contract for less than 20 a year. He is probably on the Sammy Watkins/Brandin Cooks teir. Which is about 16m. I could see 17 or 18 being the number.

As others have pointed out, we have tons of cap space, so I see him getting paid.

I think you're right that Cooper is in that Watkins/Cooks tier.  Crazy thing is that I believe that none of those guys are worth 16 million per year.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying WR's of that caliber that type of cash.  

The other crazy part is if Cooper draws a line in the sand at 20 and refuses to budge I think some desperate GM will pay him.  

You have have a top 3 RB in the NFL in Zeke (I love the way he runs and how versatile he is catching the ball)  the best Oline when healthy and a stud LB in LVE.  I hope LVE can stay healthy bc he is a beast when he is out there, flying around at 100 percent.  DLaw is a very good DE too.  You guys have some nice pieces in place to build around there is no doubting that.  

The 2 biggest questions you have are Dak and Cooepr's contracts.  I have a feeling that you'll have no choice but to pay Dak around 40 million, I don't like the move but I don't see any possibility you let him walk either.  

The NFL is a business first and foremost and I am fascinated to see how this plays out. 

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If that's what you think about someone volunteering to do it, I wonder what you'll think when you find out we actually have to pay to run?!

LOL....Masochist, who throws money away? 

I have a friend who ran in Boston Marathon probably 10 years ago.  IIRC, he paid $90 for registration then. That was on top of his flight Seattle to Boston, hotel, etc. So he dropped some pretty serious coin just to run 26+ miles. I gave him copious amounts of **** for it too.  It's insanity. But, with that said, I respect the hell out of people who can did it too. 

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

LOL....Masochist, who throws money away? 

I have a friend who ran in Boston Marathon probably 10 years ago.  IIRC, he paid $90 for registration then. That was on top of his flight Seattle to Boston, hotel, etc. So he dropped some pretty serious coin just to run 26+ miles. I gave him copious amounts of **** for it too.  It's insanity. But, with that said, I respect the hell out of people who can did it too. 

$140 for Houston this year, and that was the early bird pricing, haha.