Jaguars Fire Hackett

pwny

Good riddance.

The timing on this feels like pure scapegoat though.

"Hey Nate, we want you to call one last week of plays for us."

"PS. We want you to go up in the booth to do it for the first time."

"PS. We're starting Bortles, so you're not allowed to call pass plays."

"We expect many Touchdowns this week".

Like, this speculation that Bortles is "Hackett's guy" doesn't make a lot of sense considering the game he called on Sunday (or the last while really).  Certainly looked more like a coordinator who was saddled with trying to run an offense through a useless QB they don't trust and barely ever call on to throw the football.  Like really, "Hackett's guy" is the one he won't dare to let throw the football anymore???  That's bizarre and nonsensical to me.

Just weird that they didn't let him have a shot at calling a game with Kessler at the helm, since they're apparently going that way now anyway.  And it certainly doesn't sound like Hackett stormed in there all, "if Bortles go, i go!!!"

Feels like they just built this for maximum throwing under the bus convenience to insulate others on the staff after an embarrassing loss to a bad team.  Not that Hackett is any good...but i'm not sure what else he was expected to do on Sunday other than what he did for the most part.  It was like 99% run game, and the running game was working until Fournette punched his way out of the game.

Anyway.  On to the next one.

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'm afraid (not afraid really, figure of speech sorry.lol)  but I am wondering if the window opened and closed quickly for your team. I think it's safe to say an offensive overhaul is needed, but the defense may have missed it's window. I was very skeptical that the defense would be able to repeat last year's performance. 
Still have staples on each level, but age and price will come into play.

I'm curious to see what direction you all go offensively. A young QB is needed of course, but will there be a coaching hire to match that? Stand pat with the offensive guys you have and hope for improvement/rebound. And along with that direction, will the defense be able to carry a fair load until the offense gets there? I don't think Marrone is the guy to lead this change. 

I'm afraid (For real this time.lol) the Colts are about to run this division once again, with the Luck/Reich combo and the rest of us will be fighting for that second spot. 

I think there's a very strong possibility that their inability to put an offense in place, will end up squandering whatever "window" this defense opened.  When you build a team around a defense (especially with a healthy dose of big $$$ FA pieces), it's just not a very sustainable thing in this day and age.  You get a narrow window with that to capitalize, and we certainly farted this season away.  Not sure how many years we have left with this defense having elite potential, but it's not that many before we have to start paying the next wave of key guys, probably aging out other key guys in the next year or two, and probably cutting still contributing guys just to make the cap space all work.  This defense was always sorta built to have a few years before you have to start ripping it apart for cap reasons and age reasons...i hope we're not there quite yet, but we might be.

So unless they can cobble together an entirely new, and actually functional offense for next year (including a QB most of all)...they probably will miss the window on this defense, which is a real shame.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Bruhh

Unless there’s something in this photo that verifies it was taken today, I’m not sure I can trust any scoop from Chaps.

But if this is true, it would pretty much prove that Zach’s theory on Marrone doing this to spite the front office is completely wrong. And that the trash nepotistic hires won’t be stopping.

54 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think there's a very strong possibility that their inability to put an offense in place, will end up squandering whatever "window" this defense opened.  When you build a team around a defense (especially with a healthy dose of big $$$ FA pieces), it's just not a very sustainable thing in this day and age.  You get a narrow window with that to capitalize, and we certainly farted this season away.  Not sure how many years we have left with this defense having elite potential, but it's not that many before we have to start paying the next wave of key guys, probably aging out other key guys in the next year or two, and probably cutting still contributing guys just to make the cap space all work.  This defense was always sorta built to have a few years before you have to start ripping it apart for cap reasons and age reasons...i hope we're not there quite yet, but we might be.

So unless they can cobble together an entirely new, and actually functional offense for next year (including a QB most of all)...they probably will miss the window on this defense, which is a real shame.

I agree, the windows open and close very quickly for teams without an elite QB. If you are trying to live on a run game or a defense, the league just isn't built that way. It can get you a good year, if things fall your way ( Ya'll last year). But if you are banking on a defense getting ungodly sacks or causing turnovers to be successful, that bubble will burst quick. 
I think that is why I feel the Colts are going to be the big dog on the block for a while. Luck is an great QB. I don't trust Houston and Watson to sustain anything they do with BOB. And the Titans don't have the team to support inconsistent play on offense. 

It's hard to think of you guys being in a rebuild, but the team does need to have a complete shift almost, in my opinion.  QB, OC, WRs need to be the focus and hope the defense can stay top half of the league. 

But, if you guys want to keep Marrone, stick with the ground and pound/defensive heavy team style. I would really be ok with that, personally.  :) 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I agree, the windows open and close very quickly for teams without an elite QB. If you are trying to live on a run game or a defense, the league just isn't built that way. It can get you a good year, if things fall your way ( Ya'll last year). But if you are banking on a defense getting ungodly sacks or causing turnovers to be successful, that bubble will burst quick. 
I think that is why I feel the Colts are going to be the big dog on the block for a while. Luck is an great QB. I don't trust Houston and Watson to sustain anything they do with BOB. And the Titans don't have the team to support inconsistent play on offense. 

It's hard to think of you guys being in a rebuild, but the team does need to have a complete shift almost, in my opinion.  QB, OC, WRs need to be the focus and hope the defense can stay top half of the league. 

But, if you guys want to keep Marrone, stick with the ground and pound/defensive heavy team style. I would really be ok with that, personally.  :) 

I like Marrone as a HC quite a bit. I want him to stay around, BUT he also has to adapt. 

Unfortunately, it'll be hard to tell if he will do that in the immediate future. Right now we have Kessler, and if we draft a guy you aren't going to put it all on him next year either. You can't switch it a pass first offense if you don't have/aren't given the horses to do so.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I like Marrone as a HC quite a bit. I want him to stay around, BUT he also has to adapt. 

Unfortunately, it'll be hard to tell if he will do that in the immediate future. Right now we have Kessler, and if we draft a guy you aren't going to put it all on him next year either. You can't switch it a pass first offense if you don't have/aren't given the horses to do so.

Understandable about Marrone. I actually liked Murlakey, until he felt the offense was fine the way it is. (Looking back at how we are now, maybe it was..lol) He wasn't willing to adapt or change playcaller. 

Need a good OC along with the right QB. Not really the "best" QB, but the right QB.
I don't think Goff is the best QB but the right QB at the right time. 

18 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Understandable about Marrone. I actually liked Murlakey, until he felt the offense was fine the way it is. (Looking back at how we are now, maybe it was..lol) He wasn't willing to adapt or change playcaller. 

Need a good OC along with the right QB. Not really the "best" QB, but the right QB.
I don't think Goff is the best QB but the right QB at the right time. 

Marrone may have liked Bortles from the get go/won't adapt, but it's impossible to tell. Feel like most guys now a days have to know it won't work with the rule changes and where the NFL is headed.

I do like him heading wherever these next couple years take us as long as he realizes the above. Impossible for us to tell right now though.

He turned a consistent loser last year into a winner and went deep into the playoffs with a non-ideal situation offensively in a day and age where that's not the norm anymore. All with a QB most had given up on and been among the leagues worst QBs in years prior. That buys some time for me, again, as long as he is willing to adapt.

Reports of Coughlin wanting/liking Watson makes me have hope that we will steer in that direction. Having a legit run game and some core players on defense makes me hopeful, but we'll see.

Think as long as our D has the core guys I mentioned that unit will consistently be able to be a good unit. Maybe not a unit that can carry us (that just isnt going to happen anymore I'm), but with an average/above average QB, can most definitely be a legit contender.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Well then...

This would be...interesting.  Couldn't accuse that of being a conservative hire, that's for sure.

Have to think if he's getting that much buzz from multiple teams, he's going to want to look at what sort of QB situation teams have before making a final decision though.  Have to think he'll want to take his shot somewhere that has a QB he wants to work with...or a reasonable shot at one.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

This would be...interesting.  Couldn't accuse that of being a conservative hire, that's for sure.

Have to think if he's getting that much buzz from multiple teams, he's going to want to look at what sort of QB situation teams have before making a final decision though.  Have to think he'll want to take his shot somewhere that has a QB he wants to work with...or a reasonable shot at one.

Lot of speculation Arizona and Cleveland have been teams possibly tied to him, which both happen to have highly promising young QB's in place. So it'd depend on if we offer him more/he's open to starting with a fresh guy or wants someone he knows is already in place and believes in that players abilities.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Lot of speculation Arizona and Cleveland have been teams possibly tied to him, which both happen to have highly promising young QB's in place. So it'd depend on if we offer him more/he's open to starting with a fresh guy or wants someone he knows is already in place and believes in that players abilities.

Yeah.  It could be a detriment if we're in the running for him, that we don't have "our guy".  But it could also be attractive, if he wants to have a hand in shaping things too.  Hard to say.  If we're even in on Kingsbury at all, of course.

I do wonder how Fournette would fit, considering he's the obvious centerpiece of our offense.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It could be a detriment if we're in the running for him, that we don't have "our guy".  But it could also be attractive, if he wants to have a hand in shaping things too.  Hard to say.  If we're even in on Kingsbury at all, of course.

I do wonder how Fournette would fit, considering he's the obvious centerpiece of our offense.

It's also a question how stable our situation is.

Is Doug here long term? Because if he's on the hot seat, then no way Kliff comes here in a lame duck situation, possibly.

If so, Will Kliff be tied to Doug?

What about Caldwell? 

Part of the appeal of coming here is he might get a hand in picking his own guy, but how valuable is that if there's a turnover at the top (either coaching or GM), as either of those changing can have an effect on his job and the QB 

Archived