Jaguars fire OC Nathaniel Hackett

TheKillerNacho

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm actually interested in hearing what Jags' fans think about sticking with Marrone next season and onward?

The problem is fundamentally Bortles. If anything, Caldwell should be put on the hot seat for not bringing in any competition for him.

8 minutes ago, Elky said:

The problem is fundamentally Bortles. If anything, Caldwell should be put on the hot seat for not bringing in any competition for him.

ESPECIALLY with guys like Josh McCown available for 1-year deals.   Or even Chase Daniel on 5M-type deals (Daniel's just a competent backup, but that's still an upgrade on Bortles).

No one can be faulted for Bortles not passing his physical - but if they were going to restructure his contract to help them contend in 2018, then having a competent backup was a must.   Now they are stuck with Bortles for 1 more year, and probably have to resort to a Rd1 reach for a very iffy top-end 2019 draft class for immediate impact, as the FA class is a lot shallower for stopgap types, and they're committed to Bortles money-wise.

Just now, Broncofan said:

ESPECIALLY with guys like Josh McCown available for 1-year deals.   Or even Chase Daniel on 5M-type deals (Daniel's just a competent backup, but that's still an upgrade on Bortles).

They had a shot at Teddy which would have been perfect for them.

16 minutes ago, Elky said:

If anything, Caldwell should be put on the hot seat for not bringing in any competition for him

Agreed. Taven Bryan wasn't a need, outside of replacing Malik Jackson or Calais Campbell next season. That pick would have been better served on Lamar Jackson.

(I know I'll catch fire for suggesting this).

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Agreed. Taven Bryan wasn't a need, outside of replacing Malik Jackson or Calais Campbell next season. That pick would have been better served on Lamar Jackson.

I think most everyone was surprised when JAX and NE both passed on Lamar.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

im still not sold on lamars passing abilities. good runner but i have a feeling he will be figured out soon or at worse some defender will end up injuring his knee(not wishing it but honestly running qbs are always more prone to injury). 

12 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

im still not sold on lamars passing abilities. good runner but i have a feeling he will be figured out soon or at worse some defender will end up injuring his knee(not wishing it but honestly running qbs are always more prone to injury). 

Again though - Lamar is not just a runner who plays QB.   His throwing abilities are miles ahead of the Vick / RG3 mold.   Which is good because he’s not nearly as gifted as those 2 running wise.   It’s just that his throwing skill set (timing accuracy and anticipation/placement) is that much better than the typical running guy’s profile.  He just needs time, and yes, the injury bugaboo.  In a perfect world he wouldn’t be starting until next year at earliest.   Which is probably why JAX passed in win now mode.   It’s just a big whiff now that 2018 is a lost cause. 

But the “he might get hurt” reasoning is weak in a guy with no injury history, especially with the protections in place for QB.    If you don’t believe in his NFL evolution as a thrower that’s fine.   But calling him a running QB misses the differences he offers.  

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Again though - Lamar is not just a runner who plays QB.   His throwing abilities are miles ahead of the Vick / RG3 mold.   Which is good because he’s not nearly as gifted as those 2 running wise.   It’s just that his throwing skill set (timing accuracy and anticipation/placement) is that much better than the typical running guy’s profile.  He just needs time, and yes, the injury bugaboo.  In a perfect world he wouldn’t be starting until next year at earliest.   Which is probably why JAX passed in win now mode.   It’s just a big whiff now that 2018 is a lost cause. 

But the “he might get hurt” reasoning is weak in a guy with no injury history, especially with the protections in place for QB.    If you don’t believe in his NFL evolution as a thrower that’s fine.   But calling him a running QB misses the differences he offers.  

i was more Mason rudolph for us.  he fit the scheme we were running. u know west coast stuff with tons of short crossers.  

the jags screwed up massively taking bryan especially with how this DL class looks.   i probably would have picked Courtland Sutton or a TE but i would have looked at will hernandez and austin corbett.  i felt sutton was very similiar to mike evans and while wr wasnt a glaring need at the time i felt he offered a skill-set we didnt have on this roster. a bigger wr who can win jumpballs. i still think the moncrief signing was dumb. for the price of keeping arob u grab moncrief and resign lee. 

the 2nd round was okay we trying to get a weapon for bortles.  3rd round was a BPA pick but i didnt see safety as a huge need.

Archived