Dwayne Haskins

brownie man

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

• Number 1 pick overall
    • Top 16
    • First Round
    • 2nd Round
    • Later

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure Washington is locked into a QB via the draft.  Think they could be one of the big suitors for Teddy Bridgewater.  They felt the Redskins were a QB-away when they made the trade for Alex Smith, stands to reason that they'd prefer a veteran QB to a rookie QB.  Denver passed on Josh Rosen and Josh Allen last year, and while this could have easily been a situation where Elway stuck to BPA, you have to take the QB if the value is even close.

WAS needs to extend Clinton-Dix and Preston Smith, and they only have 17M in cap space including rollover for 2019.   There are always restructures that are possible, and a couple of tough cut options - but Bridgewater is going to command top dollar, he's by far the best QB available.  When you add that up, I really only see Rd1 draft as how WAS addresses QB.    Other teams who are in better cap health can beat both JAX & WAS for Bridge's services.  

With DEN, with Elway the issue is Lynch Rd1 haunts him.  It's why he didn't pull the trigger on QB at 1.5 (and really, while Chubb has been very good, we'd still have been miles ahead to have addressed QB then, but what's done is done).   If he didn't pull the trigger then with those choices, it's hard to see that he'll pull the trigger on this meh class.  Then again, need will be pushing him even more - but the spectre of "Keenum was OK until Sanders/DT were gone" as cover lurks (it's total BS, but hey, 90 percent of the casual fanbase will eat that turd sandwich and ask for mustard).  If anything, a decent backup might be brought in to have real "competition".

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

WAS needs to extend Clinton-Dix and Preston Smith, and they only have 17M in cap space including rollover for 2019.   There are always restructures that are possible, and a couple of tough cut options - but Bridgewater is going to command top dollar, he's by far the best QB available.  When you add that up, I really only see Rd1 draft as how WAS addresses QB.   

With DEN, with Elway the issue is Lynch Rd1 haunts him.  It's why he didn't pull the trigger on QB at 1.5 (and really, while Chubb has been very good, we'd still have been miles ahead to have addressed QB then, but what's done is done).   If he didn't pull the trigger then with those choices, it's hard to see that he'll pull the trigger on this meh class.  Then again, need will be pushing him even more - but the spectre of "Keenum was OK until Sanders/DT were gone" as cover lurks (it's total BS, but hey, 90 percent of the casual fanbase will eat that turd sandwich and ask for mustard).

I've only loosely followed HHCD since he left Green Bay, but I was under the impression he was even worse with Washington than he was with Green Bay, which is borderline hard to imagine.  Not going to pretend I'm privy to the Redskins cap situation, but given Zach Brown's comments about his future coming to an end seems like a reasonable cap casualty.  They can clear the money.

Agree about Denver passing on a QB this offseason.  Keenum seems to have finally gotten off the turnover wagon, so if he keeps it up then there is probably a better chance they retain him.

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

And while Gettleman will not trade down ever...he's certainly not against moving up, either.   I don't think he cares if it's Herbert or Haskins, but either way, Gettleman's locked in to QB.   I think WAS is also locked in, which means DEN is faced with the unenviable choice of taking choice #4 (which if I had doubts on Haskins & Herbert, they're about 1/10th the concern I have after those 2 for the rest) in mid-teens (as much as I've railed against the thought that DEN is somehow a legit contender, we're not - DEN's a team that doesn't give up, and hangs in there and @OAK, I expect that will be enough - LAC I expect will roll us as a message for our underserved W they gifted us, especially if SEA beats KC and LAC beats BAL this week).    

Given that equation, and the fact that Keenum has 10M of dead money in his 21M 2019 year, I think we'll pass on QB Rd1.   And look to hit 2020 hard if nothing presents itself (I mean, it's so tough we brought in the CFL MVP last week for a look - that guy is still unsigned, but he's got to be thinking "hey, I can beat THAT guy" when he looks at us lol).

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure Washington is locked into a QB via the draft.  Think they could be one of the big suitors for Teddy Bridgewater.  They felt the Redskins were a QB-away when they made the trade for Alex Smith, stands to reason that they'd prefer a veteran QB to a rookie QB.  Denver passed on Josh Rosen and Josh Allen last year, and while this could have easily been a situation where Elway stuck to BPA, you have to take the QB if the value is even close.

I think one factor that could really come into play with this draft and some of the QB-needs, who is locked into what, etc., is that there seems to me at least, to be a potentially "better than average" second wave of QBs.  In terms of Top-end blue chip 1st round types, it seems kinda bleh with really Haskins and Herbert drawing that attention.  But if we start talking about that second wave of potential Day2 type QB prospects, including the guys like Lock who could very easily sneak into the back end of the 1st for that 5th year option...it actually seems like a pretty alright class.  Daniel Jones (if he declares, though apparently that's not likely anymore?) and Lock seem like candidates to sneak into the 1st a bit later.  Target for high-2nd teams to jump back in?

But more than that, seems like a decent crop of seniors with some good experience under their belt like Grier, Finley, Thorson, Rypien who all seem like candidates to potentially go ~Day2 sometime.  I could see some teams looking at them as potentially a bit more ready to step in as rookies, even as Day2 picks.  Or at least take them and have them battle with a stopgap veteran.

Could very much see a team like Denver in that market, especially since they're still kinda tied to Keenum for now, and if they've got some 1st round jitters after Lynch.

Could really see Washington also eyeing up that secondary market too, looking at one of those experienced sorta "game manager" projection types and hoping to hit on another Cousins.  They've got such a weird situation though.

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think one factor that could really come into play with this draft and some of the QB-needs, who is locked into what, etc., is that there seems to me at least, to be a potentially "better than average" second wave of QBs.  In terms of Top-end blue chip 1st round types, it seems kinda bleh with really Haskins and Herbert drawing that attention.  But if we start talking about that second wave of potential Day2 type QB prospects, including the guys like Lock who could very easily sneak into the back end of the 1st for that 5th year option...it actually seems like a pretty alright class.  Daniel Jones (if he declares, though apparently that's not likely anymore?) and Lock seem like candidates to sneak into the 1st a bit later.  Target for high-2nd teams to jump back in?

But more than that, seems like a decent crop of seniors with some good experience under their belt like Grier, Finley, Thorson, Rypien who all seem like candidates to potentially go ~Day2 sometime.  I could see some teams looking at them as potentially a bit more ready to step in as rookies, even as Day2 picks.  Or at least take them and have them battle with a stopgap veteran.

Could very much see a team like Denver in that market, especially since they're still kinda tied to Keenum for now, and if they've got some 1st round jitters after Lynch.

Could really see Washington also eyeing up that secondary market too, looking at one of those experienced sorta "game manager" projection types and hoping to hit on another Cousins.  They've got such a weird situation though.

Yeah I can see a couple Rd2 picks and a bunch of Rd3-4 picks.  That would be an ideal strategy for the talent pool imo.  Worst case you get a cheap backup and you keep your 2020 draft options open by not having to see the high cost investment through esp if it’s Rd3-4.  It’s what I hope Den does. 

The problem of course is whether teams are patient enough and not locked into 1 guy when there really isn’t much of a talent difference.  That’s what leads to the bad reaches IMO.  Teams have this need and suddenly start squinting hard enough to justify the cost in their mind.  When if they didn’t need a QB the guy so badly it wouldn’t even intrigue them in the least 1-2 rounds later.  

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I can see a couple Rd2 picks and a bunch of Rd3-4 picks.  That would be ideal imo.  Worst case you get a cheap backup and you keep your 2020 draft options open by not having to see the high cost investment through esp if it’s Rd3-4.  It’s what I hope Den does. 

Of course, it may be that a lot of these teams aren't as high on this second wave of QBs as i am.  I think i'm higher than most on Thorson and Rypien especially.  Call me crazy, but i think we get at least one decent starter out of that senior group.  But Denver in particular really do seem to be well situated to play that game, and like you said...at worst, should get a cheap backup out of it.  Makes a ton of sense to me.  Which of course, probably means they'll trade a king's ransom to move up in the draft and select someone high 1st or something instead, just because.  xD

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, he might have meant #1QB.... #1 would be a bold statement, though, Cotton.

Yeah he's the #1 QB for sure, but the worst teams this year don't really need QB's over the DL talent. The Giants and Jaguars are the teams that will be taking the top 2 QB's in the class and they look like they'll be in the 8-10 range when it's all said and done.

Bosa

Oliver

Williams

are all locks to come off the board before a QB.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah he's the #1 QB for sure, but the worst teams this year don't really need QB's over the DL talent. The Giants and Jaguars are the teams that will be taking the top 2 QB's in the class and they look like they'll be in the 8-10 range when it's all said and done.

Bosa

Oliver

Williams

are all locks to come off the board before a QB.

FWIW, if JAX loses out to MIA & HOU, then they pick no worse than 5th.  But yeah, it's JAX & NYG & WAS (who isn't picking in top 10) as only obvious teams in bottom half (DEN is likely in high teens BTW).

58 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol no he isn't. Have you researched this draft class at all this year?

Not sure why people haven't learned from previous drafts. There will be multiple teams vying for a QB in the top 15, even if they don't have the #1 pick. It's a bad QB class outside of him and maybe Grier and the FA class isn't much better. QBs get overdrafted literally every single year. Would not be surprised at all to see a team trade up for #1 to get him. 

7 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Not sure why people haven't learned from previous drafts. There will be multiple teams vying for a QB in the top 15, even if they don't have the #1 pick. It's a bad QB class outside of him and maybe Grier and the FA class isn't much better. QBs get overdrafted literally every single year. Would not be surprised at all to see a team trade up for #1 to get him. 

Well when it's a bad QB draft class and there's a generational-level talent at a premium position, that QB often goes early...but not 1.1.   1.1 has a generational talent in Bosa, and much like 2014 & 2017 (Clowney may have not fulfilled the promise, but that was the label, and Garrett certainly is living up to the billing), it's hard to believe teams will either stand pat and take him, or someone else will trade up for Bosa at 1.1.   

After that, anything can happen, but I think that's what he's referring to, and IMO he's not wrong there. 

On 12/19/2018 at 12:03 AM, Broncofan said:

Well when it's a bad QB draft class and there's a generational-level talent at a premium position, that QB often goes early...but not 1.1.   1.1 has a generational talent in Bosa, and much like 2014 & 2017 (Clowney may have not fulfilled the promise, but that was the label, and Garrett certainly is living up to the billing), it's hard to believe teams will either stand pat and take him, or someone else will trade up for Bosa at 1.1.   

After that, anything can happen, but I think that's what he's referring to, and IMO he's not wrong there. 

Yeah the two worst teams are going to be the Cardinals and the Raiders. Their DL's are terrible and the QB position isn't nearly as concerning as some of the more recent #1 pick teams. They'll 100% be taking the BPA's on the DL. Trading down isn't even an option, as they won't want to miss out on Bosa & Oliver.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:36 AM, Broncofan said:

WAS needs to extend Clinton-Dix and Preston Smith, and they only have 17M in cap space including rollover for 2019.   There are always restructures that are possible, and a couple of tough cut options - but Bridgewater is going to command top dollar, he's by far the best QB available.  When you add that up, I really only see Rd1 draft as how WAS addresses QB.    Other teams who are in better cap health can beat both JAX & WAS for Bridge's services.  

With DEN, with Elway the issue is Lynch Rd1 haunts him.  It's why he didn't pull the trigger on QB at 1.5 (and really, while Chubb has been very good, we'd still have been miles ahead to have addressed QB then, but what's done is done).   If he didn't pull the trigger then with those choices, it's hard to see that he'll pull the trigger on this meh class.  Then again, need will be pushing him even more - but the spectre of "Keenum was OK until Sanders/DT were gone" as cover lurks (it's total BS, but hey, 90 percent of the casual fanbase will eat that turd sandwich and ask for mustard).  If anything, a decent backup might be brought in to have real "competition".

The money is such an interesting factor in Washington. I do think they will feel a little haunted by the RGIII trade, but at the same time they really don't have many ways to save money other than cutting Josh Norman. Plus, then you have to factor in which desirable veteran QB will actually want to sign there? First there's the handling of Kirk Cousins, then there's the aspect that you may only be a placeholder for Alex Smith (if he were to come back healthy). 

I think, ultimately, they will compete with DEN to move up for a QB, and Haskins should be the favorite to be the top QB taken. I think JAX will go the veteran route. The Giants and Miami will look to address the QB, but don't expect the Jets to talk trade with them. I have a feeling the Jets will select #3 with ARI/SF drafting 1/2 (I think OAK wins tonight). The Jets will want to trade down, so it will be very intriguing to see how things play out in the coming months. 

Archived