Dwayne Haskins

brownie man

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

• Number 1 pick overall
    • Top 16
    • First Round
    • 2nd Round
    • Later

45 minutes ago, TVScout said:

That is over the top and hard to believe. Warner went from an UDFA to all-pro and HoF under Martz.

His passing concepts are all so elongated that it made it very difficult on his QB's to stay upright. The QB's put up gaudy pass numbers, but they were often getting walloped in the process. That's kind of what I meant by "not QB-friendly" earlier. 

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

His passing concepts are all so elongated that it made it very difficult on his QB's to stay upright. The QB's put up gaudy pass numbers, but they were often getting walloped in the process. That's kind of what I meant by "not QB-friendly" earlier. 

OK, so you are saying the QB has to hold the ball too long?

He's either David Carr or Aaron Rodgers.  Best way to put it.  You put him as starter D1, you'll be disappointed (unless your OL is good enough to let him develop), you let him learn for a few years he's going to be one of the most talented QBs ever.  He's got the arm, accuracy, and smarts you need, he just needs experience and improvement of fundamentals when under pressure.  Giants would be the ideal team as I can see them sticking with Eli for at least another half year.  Maybe Oakland if they can't immediately trade Carr for more assets as I can see them possibly wanting to wait a little longer to have the entire team ready for a SB run while Carr would be closer to now, I'm still high on Carr even though the past 2 seasons have been down I think that's more due to coaching than ability.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

He's either David Carr or Aaron Rodgers.  Best way to put it.  You put him as starter D1, you'll be disappointed (unless your OL is good enough to let him develop), you let him learn for a few years he's going to be one of the most talented QBs ever.  He's got the arm, accuracy, and smarts you need, he just needs experience and improvement of fundamentals when under pressure.  Giants would be the ideal team as I can see them sticking with Eli for at least another half year.  Maybe Oakland if they can't immediately trade Carr for more assets as I can see them possibly wanting to wait a little longer to have the entire team ready for a SB run while Carr would be closer to now, I'm still high on Carr even though the past 2 seasons have been down I think that's more due to coaching than ability.

Really? You couldn't find 2 other QBs with bigger gap between them. Basically he's a HOF or a Bust, no pressure there. 

32 minutes ago, Classic said:

Really? You couldn't find 2 other QBs with bigger gap between them. Basically he's a HOF or a Bust, no pressure there. 

Well can you choose a better QB that starts early but doesnt' bust but have only an ok career or a QB that gets to sit for awhile and have an good career?  I think if he starts immediately he busts, if he sits for at least 1 year, then he ends up being at least average if top 10 QB consistently over his career.  So maybe David Carr (who might've been a stud with an OL) and Phillip Rivers (who got to sit for a year and showed what he could do but his team was already good)?

On 12/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, BleedTheClock said:

OK that is a good description. Another is ordering a QB to make throws or play in a system he is unsuited for. Think Steve Young in Tampa. During the 1980s that team ran something akin to the vertical offense. Young was decidedly NOT that QB. Fast forward ten years and he is in the other Bay and becomes all pro.

On 07/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Raves said:

My question with the bolded would be...what sort of real experience and improvement under pressure is the guy legitimately going to accrue by sitting on the sidelines with a clipboard, and running the 2nd team offense in practice with a red jersey on?

I think coming out is the right decision for Haskins.  He really doesn't have anything to gain by going back for another NCAA season.  It potentially creates a bit of a tricky situation in the NFL though, where he doesn't really have the experience and readiness to step in right away...but the only option for getting that real experience is gonna be to start games and take his lumps.  It's gonna make for a delicate situation.  I'm inclined to agree that the best case for Haskins is probably to land somewhere that has a QB he can sit behind for a year (or at least most of a year) to really ingrain some good fundamental habits as best you can...but after that year of sitting, he's still going to be extremely low on actual experience and he's going to have a lot of lumps to take at the NFL level, sooner or later.  The whole "one year wonder" situation is not ideal, and not easy to get around.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

My question with the bolded would be...what sort of real experience and improvement under pressure is the guy legitimately going to accrue by sitting on the sidelines with a clipboard, and running the 2nd team offense in practice with a red jersey on?

I think coming out is the right decision for Haskins.  He really doesn't have anything to gain by going back for another NCAA season.  It potentially creates a bit of a tricky situation in the NFL though, where he doesn't really have the experience and readiness to step in right away...but the only option for getting that real experience is gonna be to start games and take his lumps.  It's gonna make for a delicate situation.  I'm inclined to agree that the best case for Haskins is probably to land somewhere that has a QB he can sit behind for a year (or at least most of a year) to really ingrain some good fundamental habits as best you can...but after that year of sitting, he's still going to be extremely low on actual experience and he's going to have a lot of lumps to take at the NFL level, sooner or later.  The whole "one year wonder" situation is not ideal, and not easy to get around.

Well preparation can give you more experience, something the NFL is able to do better than the college level.  Obviously sitting a year will give him more reps even on the 2nd team offense and some reps with the first team.  Preparation will give muscle memory, which will mean that when he's under pressure he will perform what's natural.  Obviously you will still see some issues when he finally gets his turn to start, but he should be able to continue develop.

Archived