Dwayne Haskins

brownie man

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

• Number 1 pick overall
    • Top 16
    • First Round
    • 2nd Round
    • Later

Just now, .Buzz said:

It'll be interesting. Word has it we were one of the two teams that offered Kingsbury the OC spot (Arizona was the other), so that's a good sign. 

I didn’t think Hackett was that bad. I think Haskins could succeed with Jacksonville’s WR corp too. It’s not too dissimilar to the situation he’s in right now tbh (meh offensive line play, decent WRs that do different things well).

Just now, One Punch Man said:

I didn’t think Hackett was that bad. I think Haskins could succeed with Jacksonville’s WR corp too. It’s not too dissimilar to the situation he’s in right now tbh (meh offensive line play, decent WRs that do different things well).

Tbh I think he would have fit great in a Hackett's offense. Lot of crossers and taking shots down the field when the opportunities present themselves. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Tbh I think he would have fit great in a Hackett's offense. Lot of crossers and taking shots down the field when the opportunities present themselves. 

Since Kingsbury is going to USC, what OCs candidates are out there that are better than Hackett?

How sad would it be if the Jags settled for someone like Mike McCoy lol.

2 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

Since Kingsbury is going to USC, what OCs candidates are out there that are better than Hackett?

I have a hard time seeing that. Them going for a young mind like Kingsbury makes me hopeful they wouldn't go for an old failed retread, especially one who has had a very rough go the last couple stops like McCoy.

I'm not really sure who/what names to expect yet though.

49 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

If they could commit to sitting him for a year and get a decent OC in Hackett’s place, I wouldn’t hate it.

EDIT: Also, can we admit that OSU’s WRs are overrated as hell? As a unit they’re good but none of them individually will be more than role players at the next level. Campbell as a playmaking WR2/3. Hill and Dixon will be  steady but unspectacular WR3/4s.

They're just incredible fits for that offense. But I agree with you. Parris Campbell is the best of the bunch and he's a late 3rd/early 4th round pick right now.

I'm not sure where the narrative comes from that Haskins is just basking in the glory of the talent around him. I'm not saying they're untalented by any means, but I just think it's funny Tua Tagovailoa or however the eff you spell it doesn't get flack for his supporting cast. Sounds like there are a lot of OSU haters out there that can't believe he's a good QB. And I'm not even an OSU fan.

Haskins is primed to be the first QB taken. Is he raw? Absolutely. Is he going to make plenty of mistakes in the NFL? Certainly. Is he smart enough and talented enough to work through these "raw" areas in his game and become a great QB? I think he certainly could. His skill set is fantastic and contrary to what others have said, he does have a pro style skill set despite not playing in that kind of an offense. If freaking Baker Mayfield, who came from the friendliest QB scheme of all time, is ripping it up in the NFL, there's no reason Haskins can't either.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

They're just incredible fits for that offense. But I agree with you. Parris Campbell is the best of the bunch and he's a late 3rd/early 4th round pick right now.

I'm not sure where the narrative comes from that Haskins is just basking in the glory of the talent around him. I'm not saying they're untalented by any means, but I just think it's funny Tua Tagovailoa or however the eff you spell it doesn't get flack for his supporting cast. Sounds like there are a lot of OSU haters out there that can't believe he's a good QB. And I'm not even an OSU fan.

Haskins is primed to be the first QB taken. Is he raw? Absolutely. Is he going to make plenty of mistakes in the NFL? Certainly. Is he smart enough and talented enough to work through these "raw" areas in his game and become a great QB? I think he certainly could. His skill set is fantastic and contrary to what others have said, he does have a pro style skill set despite not playing in that kind of an offense. If freaking Baker Mayfield, who came from the friendliest QB scheme of all time, is ripping it up in the NFL, there's no reason Haskins can't either.

I concur with all of this. Tua’s WR corp is actually filthy (Jeudy is a future 1st rounder and Waddle/Ruggs are eventual Day 2 picks)... while I don’t think Tua is bad at all, I do trust Haskin’s pure passing ability over Tua’s. 

On 30/11/2018 at 1:46 AM, BleedTheClock said:

OSU schemes their concepts very well and they have guys running open.

And for those crucifying him for having such a talented group around him....get real! A QB doesn't get bailed out by having great WR's or else JT Barrett wouldn't have been an abortion last year. He's just good and I have yet to see a real argument as to why he's "barely a QB," like some people have hilariously alluded to. @Hunter2_1

I think you're kinda making your own counterargument here. 

It's not that a good surrounding cast and a friendly scheme are going to make a bad QB look great.  But those factors can make a decent QB look really good.  I mean, Barrett was a total non-prospect, and even he did still post some respectable numbers in basically the same situation.  You plug in any legit NFL QB prospect to that situation, and it's going to be flattering.  I think people calling him "barely a QB" are plenty far off the reservation.  But i also don't think it's unfair to look at Haskins situation and think that it might be flattering him a fair bit.  The combination of great depth of "good enough" talent that can get things done at the college level...in a scheme that maximizes their abilities really well and gives him a lot of options and running wide open looks, or "easy" underneath throws.  It doesn't mean Haskins isn't a good QB prospect...but it is the kinda thing i'm a bit wary of, and i think you've gotta exercise a bit of caution in looking at that, and how easily it translates.

13 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I don’t get the Winston comparison. Winston had and still does have sloppy mechanics and wreckless decision making. His ball placement is poor and doesn’t lead receivers in stride. 

Haskins is raw but he knows where his checkdown is. Has a stronger arm and better mechanics and accuracy than Winston. To me he’s a more Athletic Matt Ryan with a stronger arm. 

I think he needs another year. I wouldn’t take him in the first because of my opinions of RS sophomore QBs and first year starters. 

Yeah.  I don't really like the Winston comp either.  I haven't seen that same sort of reckless streak that Jameis always had.  Which i like.  A lot more willingness to play within himself and within the system imo.  Haskins also seems cleaner off the field.

There is something vaguely familiar about the mechanical inconsistencies though.  I think Haskins has the same sort of "lazy feet" at times.  As with Winston, when that stuff gets kinda lazy and sloppy at the base, the whole thing can fall apart a bit.  If that's something that's going to continually crop up under pressure in the NFL, it's going to make for problems.  The pressure is ramped up and everything else is moving faster at the NFL level.  Intermittently sloppy/lazy feet isn't always punished in the NCAA and that scheme he's in especially, but when everything ramps up and that margin for error shrinks, it can be the difference between success/failure.

It's interesting, because you're getting your hands on Haskins as a 1-year starter.  So it's harder to say just how ingrained some of those tendencies are, and how much you'll be able to fix that.  And it is a footwork issue so far as i can tell, which seem to be one of the elements that's a lot easier to correct than say, a janky throwing motion.  But it's still a pretty significant element that you're looking at refining/overhauling before he'll be ready for real NFL success.  Combined with just the general lack of experience, there's quite a bit of risk to Haskins imo.  Especially if we're talking about a guy who is going to get pushed up into the Top-5/10 in a soft QB year from most indications lately.

If you're right, and you can refine the feet and mechanical stuff, get him some time to learn and experience a pro system and timing...you'll be really happy to have grabbed him Top-5.  But there's some real outright "bust" potential there, compared to a lot of top bluechip QB prospects.  Especially if he's rushed and ends up reinforcing some of those habits.

8 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Milanovich is calling plays and he does have arena league experience.

NFL is a copy cat league, but I haven't heard much who else might be next in line from Reid's KC staff, or McVays. Or Bears even.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Actually it's "you're" not "your". 

ok you're a fool

anyone open to bet Haskins doesnt go top 10?

this reminds me when people in 2011 were saying Blaine Gabbert was going to go over Cam

just watch Haskins is the real deal the Giants should go get him 

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, Barrett was a total non-prospect, and even he did still post some respectable numbers in basically the same situation.

JT Barrett was an abomination for his last two seasons at OSU. Most Ohio State fans wanted him benched. He was not respectable throwing the football.

On 02/12/2018 at 11:37 AM, BleedTheClock said:

JT Barrett was an abomination for his last two seasons at OSU. Most Ohio State fans wanted him benched. He was not respectable throwing the football.

Yeah.  Absolutely.  But JT Barrett being a really bad QB and a total non-prospect for the next level, doesn't inherently make Haskins a great bluechip prospect either.  I don't think there's any question that Haskins is on a completely different level than JT Barrett as a prospect.  But like you're insinuating...JT Barrett was playing on a kinda garbage tier level, while still posting pretty respectable statistical results in that system/situation. 

ie. There's a pretty high built in "floor" to those circumstances, where even a non-prospect like Barrett can pile up quite a few yards, comp%, TD-INT ratio, etc.  Haskins has pretty clearly performed well above that "floor" for the system...but it's still worth noting that floor for context, and recognizing that he is in what appears by multiple assessment methods, to be a pretty flattering situation.

Archived