Dwayne Haskins

brownie man

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

• Number 1 pick overall
    • Top 16
    • First Round
    • 2nd Round
    • Later

There are a few good reasons for keeping a QB off the game day field. The most important IMO is to correct bad mechanics.That is why Romo was not put into the starting lineup for 3 years.  Another good reason is if the O-line is so bad the rookie QB will be pummeled into career destruction.  See David Carr. Some reasons are variable like lack of familiarity with the play book. Or problems with keys and reading the defense. 

Haskins is by no means a perfect prospect like Elway, Aikman, Luck and a few others. His mechanics are above average for a college player but could use some tightening up. How quickly he can learn a playbook I don't know. His high athletic skills could cause him bolt and run too often in his early career if he is getting hit too often which means he needs a high quality O-line from the get go.

Who was the last QB to actually sit for a season and then come in the next year and have a good career? Maybe Jimmy G, but that was more to having Brady than anything else. Teams don't really do that anymore, even with projects like Josh Allen. The best that you can really hope for is for a guy to be eased into things after a bye week. Who are the last ones to actually sit, Rivers or Rodgers? Everyone else either played sooner or busted.

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Not many teams that draft QBs early have a stable starter.

Exactly but it’s a good thing to have. Also gives you another draft to get some pieces around the guy

Giants need to make sure they secure Haskins. He’s worth trading a future first for if needed to trade up. He would be a perfect fit with those playmakers around him. 

With JAX falling hard and WAS having committed 71M/3 years to Alex Smith, and his career very much in doubt, and WAS likely to go 6-10....there could easily be 3 teams locked into QB in the top 10.   

Where I used to think it wasn't a lock that Haskins could go top 10 now, as it was only NYG that I knew for sure was locking into QB....well, seems pretty safe there are at least 2, if not 3 QB's going top 10 (which in this gifted non-QB class, is a mistake IMO, but that's another topic).   In that vein, I don't see how Haskins doesn't declare - I made the argument that $ wise if he wasn't sure he was going top 10, he could wait a year, secure a top 5 pick and that would actually gain him 15-20M over the life of his first 5 years.   But now it seems like falling outside of the top 10 is a farfetched scenario, which to me seems to seal his declaration for 2019.

Credit to @Forge for the original post, but this is really interesting.  There's no real reason for Haskins to ask Weber to stay another year, if he's intent on declaring for the 2019 draft.   And we know there hasn't been an official statement that he's gone.   I thought for sure he'd be going....this certainly adds more uncertainty.   Guess we'll find out after the Rose Bowl.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:09 PM, brownie man said:

Exactly but it’s a good thing to have. Also gives you another draft to get some pieces around the guy

Giants need to make sure they secure Haskins. He’s worth trading a future first for if needed to trade up. He would be a perfect fit with those playmakers around him. 

I wasn't a fan until I learned he's a Jersey kid and grew up a Giants fan. Now I want him.

Archived