2019 NFL Draft Early Declaration Thread

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I thought he might try and capitalize this year after his big year with next years underclassmen having some real studs and this years no clear cut WR 1

Maybe but I would still take 10 WRs currently in the draft over him, also Deebo Samuel, Anthony Johnson and Andy Isabella I would possibly take over him as well.  Johnson has really developed nicely the past few years, could take it to the next level this up coming season though, will see.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Maybe but I would still take 10 WRs currently in the draft over him, also Deebo Samuel, Anthony Johnson and Andy Isabella I would possibly take over him as well.  Johnson has really developed nicely the past few years, could take it to the next level this up coming season though, will see.  

Speaking of, what say you about Deebo? Maybe write it in the WR thread since he didn’t declare as he is a senior just to stay PC but I’m curious what your thoughts are.

10 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Speaking of, what say you about Deebo? Maybe write it in the WR thread since he didn’t declare as he is a senior just to stay PC but I’m curious what your thoughts are.

He did declare and is a RS SR, skipped the bowl game for draft prep did he not.  Also I thought he was a RS SR anyway he came to SC in 2014.  

He gets injured way too damn much that is for sure.  That takes him down big time, but when healthy can be an explosive playmaker and has good speed and good hands.  Just can he stay healthy who knows but he has some ability that is for sure.  Probably never reached his potential at SC though to be honest.  The guy is an electric playmaker though for sure and in the right offense could be a damn good 3rd or 4th WR option if he can stay healthy.  

1 minute ago, PAW said:

Tanner Muse and Isaiah Simmons both returning to Clemson. 

Great, Simmons could be an absolute monster at OLB I feel and his upside is huge, has 1st round potential all the way I feel and is easily one of the best OLBs in the nation coming into next year.  Muse I did not like to start he yeah, still question him a lot in coverage but is a big guy who can hit and will see if he can improve and play at a higher level with less talent around him next year.  

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Did AJ Green (CB, Oak St. ) stay in school?

Yes I believe he did, that is a surprise but kid still has big time potential for sure.  If he gets a little better at tackling he could totally be a 1st rounder next year he has awesome athletic ability as a corner.  Oddly enough his teammate WR Tyron Johnson declared, he is good but never thought he had that great of a season on Oklahoma State.  

On 1/14/2019 at 9:31 PM, Ozzy said:

Great, Simmons could be an absolute monster at OLB I feel and his upside is huge, has 1st round potential all the way I feel and is easily one of the best OLBs in the nation coming into next year.  Muse I did not like to start he yeah, still question him a lot in coverage but is a big guy who can hit and will see if he can improve and play at a higher level with less talent around him next year.  

I like both guys. Muse is always going to be a later round pick, but I do think he's better in zone than people give him credit for. He's actually better playing FS than he is SS which seems strange for a slower dude. But he has good instincts in coverage when he's patrolling deep middle. He struggles to get his vision right and sprint underneath curls on the numbers as a roll down safety in cover 3. He isn't twitchy enough to make a mistake and rally to the right spot. When playing FS, he doesn't get as nosy and is able to take smart angles to ensure nothing gets in over his head.

Simmons was excellent for Clemson this past season and I'm surprised he's returning given how weak the LB'er class is this year. He could have been a 2nd round pick this year. Next years OLB class looks a lot more stacked theoretically.   This is off-topic, but Simmons and OSU's Malik Harrison are basically the same kind of player. I love Harrison and have him a tick ahead of Simmons heading into next year. We'll see which one comes off the board first.

38 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like both guys. Muse is always going to be a later round pick, but I do think he's better in zone than people give him credit for. He's actually better playing FS than he is SS which seems strange for a slower dude. But he has good instincts in coverage when he's patrolling deep middle. He struggles to get his vision right and sprint underneath curls on the numbers as a roll down safety in cover 3. He isn't twitchy enough to make a mistake and rally to the right spot. When playing FS, he doesn't get as nosy and is able to take smart angles to ensure nothing gets in over his head.

Simmons was excellent for Clemson this past season and I'm surprised he's returning given how weak the LB'er class is this year. He could have been a 2nd round pick this year. Next years OLB class looks a lot more stacked theoretically.   This is off-topic, but Simmons and OSU's Malik Harrison are basically the same kind of player. I love Harrison and have him a tick ahead of Simmons heading into next year. We'll see which one comes off the board first.

To me no way the OLB class in 2020 is better than this current year.  Sure this current year is not amazing but there are a lot of quality players I feel, some who could play ILB as well but many who have a lot of ability and upside and it is a deeper group.  Guys like Hollins, Johnson and Long are very good players and Hansen has a ton of upside and Allen is arguably a top 10 pick.

Josh Allen Kentucky
Chase Hansen Utah RS
Gary Johnson Texas
Justin Hollins Oregon RS
David Long Jr West Virginia RS JR
Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS
Germaine Pratt NC State RS JR
Montez Sweat Miss State
Joe Giles Harris Duke RS JR
Sione Takitaki BYU
Ben Burr-Kirven Washington
Blake Cashman Minnesota
Porter Gustin USC
Te'von Coney Notre Dame
Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR
Drue Tranquill Notre Dame
Vosean Joseph Florida JR

Cannot really say that about 2020, sure some guys could really develop like Divinity and Harrison but both have to be more consistent.  Same with Cam Brown and Weaver might be more of a ILB as well but will see, could be a fine 3/4 OLB.  But I just do not feel 2020 OLB class is better than the current group unless some guys really improve.  Simmons for sure has arguably the most upside but even he has to show some more to get to that level, and will see if Lewis can finally stay healthy on Alabama or not.

Evan Weaver Cal
Isaiah Simmons Clemson RS SOPH
Markus Bailey Purdue
Michael Divinity Jr. LSU
Terrell Lewis Alabama
Malik Harrison Ohio State
Anfernee Jennings Alabama RS
Cam Brown Penn State
Troy Dye Oregon
Khaleke Hudson Michigan
Michael Pinckney Miami FL
Carter Coughlin Minnesota
Manny Bowen Utah RS

Even if you through in JRs for 2020 it is not an amazing group at OLB, Snowden arguably has the most potential of any of them but is obviously a little thin also.  
Charles Snowden Virginia
Jacob Phillips LSU
Andre Anthony LSU RS
Willie Gay Jr Miss State
Jamar Watson Kentucky RS
Garret Wallow TCU

As for Lorenzo Neal, I was not showed he did not come out early.  Sure could have but why do it when he could be a higher pick next year, he still has some work to do to be more consistent though.   It was surprising Trysten Hill came out early but he will most likely be a late round draft pick when if he returned could of been a mid round draft pick.  But yeah OLB or LB play in general is a huge need in the NFL but there are not a ton of super stars out there but some quality players.  Josh Allen is a rare one though potentially even as a 3/4 OLB pass rusher, he is a good looking player.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Josh Allen Kentucky-----Pass rusher
Chase Hansen Utah RS-----25 year old rookie
Gary Johnson Texas-----Decent player.
Justin Hollins Oregon RS-----Dunno
David Long Jr West Virginia RS JR-----Dunno
Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS-----Love his all-around game, but he's very limited athletically.
Germaine Pratt NC State RS JR-----Good player. NFL starter.
Montez Sweat Miss State-----Pass rusher.
Joe Giles Harris Duke RS JR-----Like him a lot. Solid starter.
Sione Takitaki BYU-----Dunno
Ben Burr-Kirven Washington-----Think of him more as a MIKE, but yeah he's a tackling machine.
Blake Cashman Minnesota-----Dunno
Porter Gustin USC-----Pass rusher.
Te'von Coney Notre Dame-----Overrated.
Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR-----Pass rusher.
Drue Tranquill Notre Dame-----S/LB tweener. Not strong enough or fast enough to compensate for his lack of size.
Vosean Joseph Florida JR-----Like him a lot, but he's a boom or bust player on every snap.

I am not sold on this OLB class. I think if you exclude the guys that are pass rushers (Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, Porter Gustin), I wouldn't take any of those guys over:

Michael Pinckney
Isaiah Simmons
Malik Harrison
Paddy Fisher (ILB/OLB versatile)

and that's just 4 off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I am not sold on this OLB class. I think if you exclude the guys that are pass rushers (Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, Porter Gustin), I wouldn't take any of those guys over:

Michael Pinckney
Isaiah Simmons
Malik Harrison
Paddy Fisher (ILB/OLB versatile)

and that's just 4 off the top of my head.

Potentially sure that might be the case but right now to me it is not outside of Simmons.  Yeah I had Paddy Fisher as a 1st rounder also but I view him as a ILB but of course if you call him a OLB the OLB group is a better group then.  If you throw these guys in there it changes things for sure but I view them as ILBs in a 3/4 or 4/3.  Bailey could play outside and maybe Fisher, Lewis, Barry or Wilson as well.

Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS SOPH
Joe Bachie Michigan State JR
Shaquille Quarterman Miami FL JR
Markus Bailey Purdue JR
David Reese Florida JR
Mohamed Barry Nebraska RS JR
Leo Lewis Miss State RS JR
Logan Wilson Wyoming RS JR
David Woodward Utah State RS SOPH

I would take Justin Hollins, Long, Pratt, Gary Johnson and Chase Hansen over Pinckney and Harrison.  They might get there next year but right now to me they are not, Pratt was clearly more productive and is a better looking physical athlete than Harrison who is a decent athlete himself, same with Johnson and Hansen arguably.  Only Simmons can compare to Hansen who was a damn good safety for a few years, and Simmons was never as good of a safety as Hansen was.   So Hansen has some big time pass coverage ability and is a great striker at linebacker potentially.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, Ozzy said:

Sione Takitaki BYU

I really like him. I caught a couple very random BYU games during the year and then their bowl game. The name enough made him stand out to me, but the bowl game especially because he just seems like he's in on every single play. 

He looks a little thin sometimes so I'm interested to see what he weighs in at, but I like him.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, Jlash said:

I really like him. I caught a couple very random BYU games during the year and then their bowl game. The name enough made him stand out to me, but the bowl game especially because he just seems like he's in on every single play. 

He looks a little thin sometimes so I'm interested to see what he weighs in at, but I like him.

Previously, he was an EDGE, so he has some experience rushing the passer. But, LB is where he really shines, IMO.

The 9ers took his teammate last year, Fred Warner. Very solid pick. Would not mind taking Taki this year at all.

Archived