2019 NFL Draft Early Declaration Thread

CWood21

Saivion Smith from Alabama just declared for the Draft.  

I can see a guy like Mullen on Clemson, basically played the best game this season in the title game, he comes out early on a high note.  Smith was not good in that title game and outside of being a starter most of the year on Alabama, I would not say he had a great season.  I feel he would be lucky to be drafted.  If Diggs was healthy this year he would have arguably not played much.

Do guys not realize being a 2-4th round pick is better than being a 7th round pick or a UDFA?  Guys coming back to school can increase their draft stock.  Just ask Josh Allen, Zach Allen, Montez Sweat, Jaylon Ferguson, Juan Thornhill, Gary Johnson, Parris Campbell etc.  Sure it does not happen all the time but guys who will be late round picks or UDFA still come out why?  Possibly Saivion graduated already I am not sure but still as a football player he had some work to do still and Nick Saban is not this awful defensive back coach or something.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, that guy was just nitpicking just to nitpick, Butler is actually my fav out of this deep group of WRs. I mean everyone has their deficiencies but his upside is nuts

As a Vikings fan watching Treadwell this season and williamson, it does something to a man when you have to watch someone have concentration drops/look like they just have bricks for hands. Also not hating just cause I'm an Iowa fan.

5 hours ago, DaCDiggity said:

As a Vikings fan watching Treadwell this season and williamson, it does something to a man when you have to watch someone have concentration drops/look like they just have bricks for hands. Also not hating just cause I'm an Iowa fan.

As a Brown's fan that endured Braylon Edwards, I'll 2nd this. 

There's nothing more team killing then a receiver that routinely drops key plays.

He's a big time talent but no team will tolerate a guy for long that can't reliably catch the ball. 

Im so disappointed that Mims didn't declare. He would have blown up the combine and his tape would wow scouts all over. I couldn't see him dropping out of the 2nd this year and had he really worked at it I think he could have possibly been the first receiver off the board.

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Im so disappointed that Mims didn't declare. He would have blown up the combine and his tape would wow scouts all over. I couldn't see him dropping out of the 2nd this year and had he really worked at it I think he could have possibly been the first receiver off the board.

What?  Chris Mims the 1st WR taken potentially in the 2019 draft?  No freaking way, sure the kid is a ok prospect but he is just simply not that elite and not as great as you say he is.  He does play in the Big 12 you know that right, did you go to high school with this kid or something?  I do not see the love affair with him,  will see how he does next year I guess.  One could argue he is not even the best WR on his own team much less the entire country.

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Saivion Smith from Alabama just declared for the Draft. Smith was not good in that title game and outside of being a starter most of the year on Alabama, I would not say he had a great season.  I feel he would be lucky to be drafted.  If Diggs was healthy this year he would have arguably not played much. Do guys not realize being a 2-4th round pick is better than being a 7th round pick or a UDFA?  Guys coming back to school can increase their draft stock.  Just ask Josh Allen, Zach Allen, Montez Sweat, Jaylon Ferguson, Juan Thornhill, Gary Johnson, Parris Campbell etc.  Sure it does not happen all the time but guys who will be late round picks or UDFA still come out why?  Possibly Saivion graduated already I am not sure but still as a football player he had some work to do still and Nick Saban is not this awful defensive back coach or something.

Why do people post these long, rambling diatribes whenever a kid declares for the draft. He's not your kid. You don't really care. It's America. Let the guy go after it. At the end of the day regardless of where they get drafted they end up spending most all their money anyway. 

34 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Why do people post these long, rambling diatribes whenever a kid declares for the draft. He's not your kid. You don't really care. It's America. Let the guy go after it. At the end of the day regardless of where they get drafted they end up spending most all their money anyway. 

To those that follow prospects through the entirety of their career it matters.  So I am speaking in regards to following prospects from early on and thinking that they can potentially get more out of their abilities with another season or I am surprised they come out because I thought they had a down year.  Usually one goes out on top when your stock is high or you are having a great season or you have graduated, or of course if you simply dislike college and or school.  Could not say any of those things for Saivion Smith, well at least the first three, he was probably afraid of losing his starting spot which could have easily happened next year, so that could be it.  

Regardless it is my opinion on them as a prospect, to just go out whenever because hell man it is America.  Give me a freaking break.  As for I do not really care, yeah I do care about his progress as a player and I believe it is not exactly great at the moment especially after that title game and some of the games previous.  Sure showed some ability this year but not enough in my opinion to declare early for that draft, oh but anyone eligible for the draft should just come out because it is America, hell....   Bet you Wilkins and Ferrell really regretted coming back to Clemson this past year, um yeah no.  

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What?  Chris Mims the 1st WR taken potentially in the 2019 draft?  No freaking way, sure the kid is a ok prospect but he is just simply not that elite and not as great as you say he is.  He does play in the Big 12 you know that right, did you go to high school with this kid or something?  I do not see the love affair with him,  will see how he does next year I guess.  One could argue he is not even the best WR on his own team much less the entire country.

Denzel

And how do you not see the potential with this guy? A long strider that can reach his top speed quickly who is very hard to catch from behind I mean really go watch this guy run. He has an elite catching radius that I would argue was on par with AJ Green coming out. Is able to snag from any point where the ball is thrown to him full extension and has displayed it multiple times throughout the year. He has the capacity to fit the play of a possession receiver and have the burst, leaping ability, and size to be a true deep threat. Besides his route running which needs some work there really is no downside with his talent or production. A natural pass catcher with arguably elite burst and ideal size at 6-3 210 does not sound like a great receiving prospect to you? And who cares if he plays in the NFL where did Khalil Mack or Carson Wentz play, what sort of sense does that make? Sure you take it into account but he is performing like he should against that kind of competition and with below average QB play.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

But anyone eligible for the draft should just come out because it is America, hell....   Bet you Wilkins and Ferrell really regretted coming back to Clemson this past year, um yeah no.  

People should do whatever they want and whatever works for them. If that's staying or going.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hence the Cooper trade.

Yea but was Cooper the trouble or were the Raiders? He doesn't have the same dropsies with the Cowboys that he did with the Raiders. Maybe just change of scenery and all but you have to wonder.

Just now, CalhounLambeau said:

People should do whatever they want and whatever works for them. If that's staying or going.

Some people do make bad decisions like stay when they should go or go when they should stay. You can question whether or not they got bad advice or if it was a personal decision like Justin Hebert wanting to stay and play with his brother. I don't have a problem with it if it's personal, like Myron Rolle for example. Little bit different situation but he gave up football to go study as a Rhodes Scholar which is quite an achievement and people gave him alot of sh1t for not chasing the money.

15 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Some people do make bad decisions like stay when they should go or go when they should stay. You can question whether or not they got bad advice or if it was a personal decision like Justin Hebert wanting to stay and play with his brother. I don't have a problem with it if it's personal, like Myron Rolle for example. Little bit different situation but he gave up football to go study as a Rhodes Scholar which is quite an achievement and people gave him alot of sh1t for not chasing the money.

I think football fans can do better than criticizing players for making these decisions. Sure people can discuss anything they want. But a lot of this stuff is deeply personal about people we know close to nothing about. It's a low-end/pathetic discussion in my opinion. Then you have thousands of dopes criticizing these players on top of it. You said you don't have a problem with it if it's personal, why should anyone ever have a problem with it? Players shouldn't have to expose a reason to justify their decision among the public. 

If people want to criticize players for declaring early you can do it. If I had control over if it was discussed or not I would allow people to do it. I encourage people to be free to do what they want. But I just really encourage people to also think about what they discuss and why  they think they should discuss it. I used to be involved in these kind of discussions all the time, for and against. The more I thought about it the more I realized how pathetic and strange it was that I was even discussing it and pretending I really cared about it. Do I have to have an opinion on everything? Do I have to talk about it just because other people do? Isn't there enough to talk about already? I think back to when I was that age. Only my parents, immediate family and close friends judged my decisions because nobody else knew my entire situation or cared enough to have an opinion, and that's how it should be in an ideal world for the players.

At the end of the day I don't think it even matters much. If a player is good and wants to be great he'll find a way, 52 weeks early or late be damned. 

Archived