2019 NFL Draft Early Declaration Thread

CWood21

The bowl system is broken, or should I say the College Football playoff system.  It adds one more game and a championship but like Nick Saban said a few years back it makes all the bowl games meaningless when really they should not be considered as.  Just look at the list now of 'early entry' guys for the NFL draft skipping their bowl game, and this is still early, there will probably be more and unlike years before there are 5 possibly 6 first round picks in this list.  Gary and Oliver had injury issues this season and so did Deebo so those make some more sense, but the rest is just probably because why play they are not in the College Football Playoff.   Why bother playing, I will work on my 40 time.  Then again coaches come and go after seasons are done constantly without regard to the bowl game... 

N'Keal Harry
Rashan Gary
Greedy Williams
Ed Oliver
Noah Fant
Justice Hill
Germain Pratt 
Deebo Samuel
Kelvin Harmon

This was the list last season, obviously Derwin James sat out because they played in a crap bowl game and is clearly the only 1st round pick, Williams had 1st round potential but was also injured a lot during that season.  And Denzel Ward another where not in the Playoff so why play and did not, I am sure I am forgetting some as well.

Derwin James
Denzel Ward
Connor Williams
DeShon Elliott
Royce Freeman

Then of course kind of the start of it with Fournette and McCaffrey both who had injuries in the season leading up to the draft and both play RB.  Started with these guys, Fournette has still had injury issues regardless of him sitting out the bowl game of course.  McCaffrey has had a ok but not nearly as dominating as he could be, might be a frame issue and still he can catch the football so he should have a long career potentially.

So yeah, if the College Football playoff did not exist, Alabama would play Clemson and most likely that is what will end up happening anyway.  So what are they gaining by making all these other games so meaningless guys just do not want play in them.  Sure the entire Jaylon Smith thing could happen but guess what, kid can ball out and is playing great football and by the end of his career could potentially make back the money he 'lost' by dropping in the draft easily.  It is football, you could get injured at any point in time regardless if it is a bowl game or not.  

Just sucks for college football, awesome regular season but they want to pretend to have a NCAA tournament like in basketball and that simply cannot happen.  Even last week with the live bowl game announcements, talk about stupid.  Just sucks for college football, when the best players do not play to end the year and it will just get worse and worse.  There is something they clearly have to correct at some point in time.  Just waiting for the time till a player in the College Football Playoff sits out for pre draft prep....

The Bowl system and College Football Playoff have nothing to do with why more and more players are sitting out bowl games. They simply have gotten more and more information and now that a precedent was set a few years ago this is only the start to be honest. Why should NFL hopefuls put anything on the line in Bowl games risking injury so close to the biggest interview of their lives? For what? Some cool head phones and other gifts? Even 6th-7th round picks are risking  400-500 thousand dollars and signing bonuses of 70k +. Not a lot of money by NFL standards but most of the draft picks 4-7 are playing less than 2 years in the league then working just like the rest of us. That first couple years or pay and that signing bonus are huge. Why risk that in a Bowl game so greedy men in suits can make millions and leave me hungry? The Bowl games have always been meaningless in comparison to the National Championship and will always be that way. Players have simply started to recognize their worth and started taking stock in themselves instead of paying for some big shots new toy.

31 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The Bowl system and College Football Playoff have nothing to do with why more and more players are sitting out bowl games. They simply have gotten more and more information and now that a precedent was set a few years ago this is only the start to be honest. Why should NFL hopefuls put anything on the line in Bowl games risking injury so close to the biggest interview of their lives? For what? Some cool head phones and other gifts? Even 6th-7th round picks are risking  400-500 thousand dollars and signing bonuses of 70k +. Not a lot of money by NFL standards but most of the draft picks 4-7 are playing less than 2 years in the league then working just like the rest of us. That first couple years or pay and that signing bonus are huge. Why risk that in a Bowl game so greedy men in suits can make millions and leave me hungry? The Bowl games have always been meaningless in comparison to the National Championship and will always be that way. Players have simply started to recognize their worth and started taking stock in themselves instead of paying for some big shots new toy.

Then why even play football?  Why play the regular season and give the University and the NCAA so much money with your teams success?  Then why even play in college football, just sit out, rest and train and never play a down as a #1 rated high school player.  Then go out for the draft after three years removed from high school.  I mean come on, you are a football player.  Then play football.  Sure if a guy is injured big time during the current season or coming back off an injury that makes a little more sense to sit out but still.  If the games are that meaningless to you as a player, then your career could end up being quite meaningless as well.   To say football success only comes down to health and a good pre draft workout, give me a freaking break.  There is a little something to be said if you are that lacking in confidence in your long term football ability that risking a little injury in the bowl game will totally destroy your entire career, that is kind of sad.  But obviously now it is just the thing to do and sure why bust your butt for anything, not your teammates that is for damn sure, great motto there.  

I feel a lot of guys do this to improve their 40 time or specific drill skills, and make it seem like they are a little faster and or more athletic than they actually are.  You can make someone not super  naturally athletic look more athletic than they are with the right drill training and I am sure that is exactly why they would rather train with them than with their team in bowl prep, to gain a few tenths of a point in the 40.

If one is looking at this all as everyone for themselves, then yeah they 'athlete' is making a great choice.  But if you have a viewpoint of team, unity, family and work ethic, some of the values team sports can provide, then making this type of choice does seem a little odd and out of place.  However like I said coaches do it all the time, leaving and going regardless, and moving up to a better job after a great season before the season is done and leaving.  So I guess the players are just following what the coaches do all the time.  That however does not make it a correct thing to do regardless if it is a coach or a player.  

8 hours ago, Forge said:

This thread is about who is declaring early and who's going back to school. Let's try and keep discussion to that scopeb and not get too far off topic

Very true, but I do feel it is relevant discussion to this issue.  And I do feel long term it is becoming a problem, one is the problem of big name players missing Bowl games for their team, and the second being juniors who declare early and really should not be doing so.  If you do feel it is that big of a negative me posting it here let me know and I can just move it to my draft thread instead I suppose.

Here is a list the past two years of players who potentially might not have been the best choice to go out for the draft, either they are played little, have done little or are not even on a roster yet.  A small percentage of them fulfilled their degree requirements and either took spring classes or have a RS year, that is a little different situation but a vast majority of them did not and came out early when if they returned they probably would have selected higher potentially.

» Dorance Armstrong, DE, Kansas
» Deontay Burnett, WR, USC
» Deon Cain, WR, Clemson
» Geron Christian, T, Louisville
» Simmie Cobbs, WR, Indiana
» Vosean Crumbie, DB, Nevada
» J.J. Dallas, DB, Louisiana-Monroe
» DeShon Elliott, DB, Texas
» Matt Fleming, WR, Benedictine
» Frank Ginda, LB, San Jose State
» Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh
» Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State
» Jeff Holland, LB, Auburn
» Joel Iyiegbuniwe, LB, Western Kentucky
» Ryan Izzo, TE, FSU
» Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee
» Courtel Jenkins, DT, Miami
» Ronald Jones, RB, USC
» Du'Vonta Lampkin, DT, Oklahoma
» Jordan Lasley, WR, UCLA
» Chase Litton, QB, Marshall
» Tavares Martin, WR, Washington State
» Hercules Mata'afa, DE, Washington State
» Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson
» Tarvarus McFadden, DB, Florida State
» R.J. McIntosh, DT, Miami
» Reginald McKenzie, DT, Tennessee
» Quenton Meeks, DB, Stanford
» Ryan Nall, RB, Oregon State
» Nick Nelson, DB, Wisconsin
» Kendrick Norton, DT, Miami
» Dwayne Orso-Bacchus, T, Oklahoma
» Kamryn Pettway, RB, Auburn
» Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida
» Trey Quinn, WR, SMU
» Austin Roberts, TE, UCLA
» Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Miss
» Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama
» Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
» Andre Smith, LB, UNC
» Van Smith, DB, Clemson
» Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State
» Auden Tate, WR, Florida State
» Maea Teuhema, T, Southeastern Louisiana
» Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia
» Kevin Toliver, DB, LSU
» Travonte Valentine, NT, LSU
» Mark Walton, RB, Miami
» Chris Warren, RB, Texas
» Toby Weathersby, T, LSU
» JoJo Wicker, DT, Arizona State
» Jalen Wilkerson, DE, Florida State
» Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
» Kyle Allen, QB, Houston
» Will Clapp, C, LSU
» Taylor Hearn, G, Clemson
» Sam Jones, G, Arizona State
» Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State
» Juante Baldwin, DB, Pittsburg State
» Tanner Lee, QB, Nebraska
» Byron Pringle, WR, Kansas State

» KD Cannon, WR, Baylor
» Devin Childress, WR, North Park
» Michael Clark, WR, Marshall
» Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU 
» Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech
» Jeremy Faulk, DT, Garden City CC
» Tarean Folston, RB, Notre Dame
» Isaiah Ford, WR, Virginia Tech 
» D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas 
» Shelton Gibson, WR, West Virginia 
» Isaiah Golden, DT, McNeese State
» Jermaine Grace, LB, Miami 
» Derrick Griffin, WR, Texas Southern 
» Chad Hansen, WR, Cal 
» Charles Harris, DE, Missouri 
» Carlos Henderson, WR, Louisiana Tech 
» Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming 
» Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina 
» Titus Howard, DB, Slippery Rock
» Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State  
» Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami 
» Tim Kimbrough, LB, Georgia
» DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame 
» Jerome Lane, WR, Akron 
» Keevan Lucas, WR, Tulsa
» Marlon Mack, RB, USF 
» Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee 
» Damien Mama, OL, USC 
» Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State 
» Isaiah McKenzie, WR, Georgia 
» Deon-Tay McManus, WR, Marshall 
» Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State 
» Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE, Miami 
» Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State 
» Speedy Noil, WR, Texas A&M 
» Marcus Oliver, LB, Indiana
» Aaron Peak, DB, Butler County CC
» Elijah Qualls, DL, Washington
» Devine Redding, RB, Indiana 
» Travis Rudolph, WR, FSU 
» Garrett Sickels, DE, Penn State 
» ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama 
» Damore'ea Stringfellow, WR, Ole Miss 
» Vincent Taylor, DT, Oklahoma State 
» Darius Victor, RB, Towson
» Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern 
» Charles Walker, DL, Oklahoma 
» Stanley "Boom" Williams, RB, Kentucky 
» Howard Wilson, CB, Houston 
» Joe Yearby, RB, Miami
» Ishmael Zamora, WR, Baylor
» Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson
» Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech 
» Artavis Scott, WR, Clemson
» Khari Waithe-Alexander, DE, Southern Illinois

47 minutes ago, Classic said:

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Why? If someone actually told him he could be first QB off the board was effing lying to him.

Given the tweet was only linked, for those that don't have it (are you living under a rock lol).... as for being the 1st QB, we don't know if Herbert will declare, so I don't think it's that far fetched TBH.  I mean, if it's the G-men going 1st for QB, it's not like GM Gettleman doesn't have an affinity for all-tool, needs-further-development guys early (Cam).

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given the tweet was only linked, for those that don't have it (are you living under a rock lol).... as for being the 1st QB, we don't know if Herbert will declare, so I don't think it's that far fetched TBH.  I mean, if it's the G-men going 1st for QB, it's not like GM Gettleman doesn't have an affinity for all-tool, needs-further-development guys early (Cam).

Both Lock and Grier are more impressive prospects even if that's not saying to much. H/e if the Gmen pick him in the first. I would absolutely love it.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Both Lock and Grier are more impressive prospects even if that's not saying to much. H/e if the Gmen pick him in the first. I would absolutely love it.

My feelings on this class are all over the QB thread - I'd be terrified if my team was investing a 1st on any of these guys, TBH.   It's thus really hard for me to say without much certainty who's going where or how early right now.  

Will Grier GOING Pro

Dear Mountaineer Family:

"Since arriving in Morgantown, Jeanne and I have been welcomed into the Mountaineer Family and we, along with Eloise, have been so blessed by the support and love of so many. I hope that, in return, you know that I have given my all and worked hard each and every day to help our football program and University.  

"While we did not win every time we took the field, and I shoulder that responsibility, I can assure you that we tried. After discussions with Jeanne and my family, and after receiving professional input, I have decided not to participate in our upcoming bowl game and focus on preparing myself and my family for what I hope is the next step in our journey. I want to thank Coach Holgorsen, Coach Spavital and all of our coaches for believing in me and, most importantly, to my teammates, who are now lifelong friends who taught me the true meaning of TEAM.  

It has been an honor to wear the WVU uniform, and I sincerely thank all of Mountaineer Nation for allowing my family and I to be a part of something so special. Country roads, take me home

Source

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Why? If someone actually told him he could be first QB off the board was effing lying to him.

Nah he'll almost certainly be the first QB off the board and maybe even first overall. Grier is the only prospect who really challenges him for the #1 spot but he's still not a great prospect. Haskins has the size and accuracy to be an NFL QB and he just had a record breaking season. That will win teams over despite him being super raw.

would definitely be on board with the Jags grabbing him but I doubt he'll be there at our pick tbh

2 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Nah he'll almost certainly be the first QB off the board and maybe even first overall. Grier is the only prospect who really challenges him for the #1 spot but he's still not a great prospect. Haskins has the size and accuracy to be an NFL QB and he just had a record breaking season. That will win teams over despite him being super raw.

would definitely be on board with the Jags grabbing him but I doubt he'll be there at our pick tbh

I pray the Giants grab him. Even more of a statue then Eli but not have his flair for being able to pull off the big play. And Eli only did that a handful of times in his good years. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Lock and Grier are more impressive prospects? Yikes...

Grier is a better athlete and has comparable intangibles to Baker Mayfield to make him a more enticing prospect. While Haskins could excel in a run and gun offense. It will still be heavily dependent on keeping him upright in the pocket because he does not have the athletic ability to buy second chances. 

Archived