2019 NFL Draft Early Declaration Thread

CWood21

52 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But they'd be getting paid. 

It just seems a lot more fringe guys are declaring this year, and I can't help but think they think the AAF is some middle ground to the NFL instead of schlepping it another year in college.

Get paid what?  That is what I would like to know because again I doubt they even get paid what practice squad guys get paid in the NFL.  Will see what happens but that would be a surprise to me if it was true.  As for the guys declaring we had just as many last year, sure this year will be even more but usually it gets more and more. 

Not to mention the NCAA or every college sports media outlet in general seems to be very sneaking with the redshirt information.  To my count there are 20 or so "underclassmen" this year who declared that are RS JRs, but that information is not out there so it seems like they are a JR or RS SOPH declaring but really they are a senior academically and hopefully have graduated all ready.  Good for them in a way, instead of just being in college another year or oddly taking a graduate transfer to another program.  So not sure why those type of guys are included in a underclassmen group when really they are not, just in football eligibility they are.

http://footballscoop.com/news/heres-much-aaf-xfl-plan-pay-players/

AAF co-founder and ESPN NFL analyst Bill Polian told ESPN’s Darren Rovell that his league plans to offer 3-year, non-guaranteed contracts worth a sum of $250,000. The AAF also plans to offer a health insurance and education stipends to players who complete a full season in the league. The XFL has stated previously it plans to pay $75,000 per season.

Not a bad option.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The whole season?  I can see the end of the season year he played hurt and or did not play.  But cannot just say he played hurt that is why he sucked when he was out there.  At times he looked flat out bad I thought and not nearly as developed as he should have been.  Was a project OT as a RS SOPH with potential and did not see much growth in his game as a RS JR.  I feel coming out was a mistake, there are easily 6 or 7 OTs better than him.  Sure if he runs a 4.9 40 or something (which will not happen) at the combine and shows some great athletic ability he could sneak into the 1st but I doubt that.

He hurt his shoulder in August and it never healed because he played through it.

Wow, sucks for Georgia.  They basically get their butts kicked in the bowl game by Texas regardless of the final score and all of these guys come out early.  Could make the claim that none of them should have declared early, Hardman I had maybe coming out early before the season but he did not do so well this year.  Ridley is ok but could have been a lot better with another year of development, and Holyfield did great this season but will be what the 11th or 12th RB taken?  Oh and Justin Fields transfers to Ohio State, which is obvious looking at the kid on the sidelines in that bowl game, yikes he looked totally gone and clearly was since they did not even play him regardless of Fromm's struggles in that game.  Wow just bad day for Georgia all around...

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wow, sucks for Georgia.  They basically get their butts kicked in the bowl game by Texas regardless of the final score and all of these guys come out early.  Could make the claim that none of them should have declared early, Hardman I had maybe coming out early before the season but he did not do so well this year.  Ridley is ok but could have been a lot better with another year of development, and Holyfield did great this season but will be what the 11th or 12th RB taken?  Oh and Justin Fields transfers to Ohio State, which is obvious looking at the kid on the sidelines in that bowl game, yikes he looked totally gone and clearly was since they did not even play him regardless of Fromm's struggles in that game.  Wow just bad day for Georgia all around...

Not to forget TE Luke Ford transferred to Illinois (homesick supposedly)

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not to mention the NCAA or every college sports media outlet in general seems to be very sneaking with the redshirt information.  To my count there are 20 or so "underclassmen" this year who declared that are RS JRs, but that information is not out there so it seems like they are a JR or RS SOPH declaring but really they are a senior academically and hopefully have graduated all ready.

I've never seen any misleading information about redshirts.  It's pretty easy to know their class standing.  But a lot of schools are pushing kids to graduate in less than four years anyway.

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've never seen any misleading information about redshirts.  It's pretty easy to know their class standing.  But a lot of schools are pushing kids to graduate in less than four years anyway.

Really?  ESPN.com rosters have no redshirt information and in magazines like Street & Smith rosters do not have any RS information either more often than not.  Maybe the schools website and even with that Notre Dame, Stanford do not take into account redshirt years or acknowledge them, same with Michigan I believe and they are not always accurate.  The only website where I have found consistent accurate redshirt information is is ourlads.com depth charts.  Other that that one is kind of up in the air especially if they are a prospect that shows up late in the process.

I call that misleading, that major publications do not even include redshirt information.   Sure if one follows only a few schools no big deal, try doing it for over 80 different schools much less 130 of them. 

I've honestly never had a problem finding out a player's class standing.  School websites are typically updated.   A quick look at the Stanford roster shows 5th year guys listed.  Notre Dame shows them as grad students, so it's not like they're hiding anything.

Redshirt is not a secret thing and is actually kind of useless for NFL draft consideration.  All that matters is what year they came out of high school.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've honestly never had a problem finding out a player's class standing.  School websites are typically updated.   A quick look at the Stanford roster shows 5th year guys listed.  Notre Dame shows them as grad students, so it's not like they're hiding anything.

Redshirt is not a secret thing and is actually kind of useless for NFL draft consideration.  All that matters is what year they came out of high school.

School websites are typically not up to date I find and it is not clear always, one has to go year by year and look for which year they did not see game action and assume it is a redshirt year, or at least that is how some schools list it.  Sure one could look at the year they came out of high school as well.  But yeah I do it for over 400 different players, not 20, looking at a full roster it should be listed there as well and usually is not.  Like last year I thought Drue Tranquill was a SR, he was not but is currently a RS SR this year, same with Alize Mack this year, I thought he was a true SR this year, I guess he is a RS JR and is considering a underclassman.

It does matter a lot, especially in regards to players who will be in next years draft.  Feels kind of foolish not including a prospect in future draft rankings because one thought he was a SR and went undrafted, instead he is a RS JR and is still in school and still on the roster.  If it is so easy though maybe I should ask you do find the school class year of all the 400-500 prospects that come about during the year ;o)  Want to go to each school website and look it up and hope it is up to date?  Yeah that would take forever.  

If you're scouring through hundreds of players, honestly your best best is to look up their recruiting profile on 247sports or similar site and see what their high school class year was.  I see your point, as some schools list their playing eligibility, some schools list school year (which the term 'redshirt' doesn't apply), and some list both.

But for draft eligibility, it really doesn't matter if the player is a redshirt sophomore or junior.  They're still 3rd year players, and thus eligible for the draft.  

Archived