RaidersAreOne

Jaguars bench QB Bortles, starting Kessler week 13

7 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Those guys are good?  This is news to me.

I will fight on the Lamar hill until the day I die.

Seriously though, I was definitely all aboard the Lamar train, especially at the end of round 1. 

I always thought Kessler deserved more of a run in Cleveland, he showed some flashes of pretty good QB play. Wouldn't be surprised if he out-played Bortles down the stretch.

Watch the Jags O sputter along the last 2 weeks was painful. Steelers would never have been in that game with even average QB play, and the less said about the Bills game the better.

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I always thought Kessler deserved more of a run in Cleveland, he showed some flashes of pretty good QB play. Wouldn't be surprised if he out-played Bortles down the stretch.

Watch the Jags O sputter along the last 2 weeks was painful. Steelers would never have been in that game with even average QB play, and the less said about the Bills game the better.

If you mean a bevy of super accurate 5 yard checkdowns, yes.....

48 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If you mean a bevy of super accurate 5 yard checkdowns, yes.....

Blake missed a guy by a lot on a 5 yard checkdown on Sunday, so...

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Blake missed a guy by a lot on a 5 yard checkdown on Sunday, so...

You got your man

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You got your man

Ill definitely take that over what we've had to watch the past several weeks. Not even close.

Cody Kessler is not a bad quarterback. He's not a good one, but he's not a bad one. I think Browns fans are too hard on him because of us reaching on him and Hue Jackson trying to justify it with "you're just gonna have to trust me on this one"..... 

I was ridiculed by Jaguars fans for my takes all last year on Blake Bortles and was pretty merciless to the Jaguars FO for extending this guy.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I was ridiculed by Jaguars fans for my takes all last year on Blake Bortles and was pretty merciless to the Jaguars FO for extending this guy.

giphy.gif

Blake was playing/looking completely different last year than he has this year. It's not even comparable. He's regressed greatly, lost all his confidence the past several weeks, and is scared to even throw it. 

Bortles is Sexy Rexy 2.0. He can streak and look wonderful and then streak bad and look like well bad Sexy Rexy. 

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Blake was playing/looking completely different last year than he has this year. It's not even comparable. He's regressed greatly, lost all his confidence the past several weeks, and is scared to even throw it. 

Probably because, as I've stated countless times, last year was a complete outlier, aside from the 2015 season, where his stats were due to the Jaguars being a 5 win team that threw for a lot of garbage TD's in games where the outcome had already been determined. Plus, let's not pretend that last year was anything special either. 21 TD, 13 INT, 230 YPG...very "meh" numbers.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Probably because, as I've stated countless times, last year was a complete outlier, aside from the 2015 season, where his stats were due to the Jaguars being a 5 win team that threw for a lot of garbage TD's in games where the outcome had already been determined. Plus, let's not pretend that last year was anything special either. 21 TD, 13 INT, 230 YPG...very "meh" numbers.

No one said his numbers were great. We're not talking about him as a top QB. We're talking about him in the role of game manager who took care of the ball. Last year was his first year in that role, and he did a solid job at it. They bought in that by not having him play hero ball like he did his first few seasons and we didn't rely on him but instead relied on a defense (that has regressed greatly in some areas) and a running game (without having a backup plan to Fournette if he got hurt, which he did) and have him take what's given to him which he did largely last year.

I was all about drafting Lamar incase/for the future, but not sure how you could have expected Blake to get to the point he is now if you watched him game by game last year. Not to mention he stepped up big in the playoffs, PIT and NE in particular. This is on them expecting that nothing would change from year to year as far as regressions/injuries to key players, but I don't fault them for keeping Bortles as the guy after a very average season with minimal options besides Cousins as a clear upgrade who has/had questions himself but wanted like 35-40 percent more a year than Blake.

25 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So what you are saying is that even though he was correct in predicting it was a bad move, it's not a bad move because... it is a bad move?

The only people on the planet who defended the decision last year were Jaguar affiliated (either FO or fans). Claiming "but he didnt show this before!" doesn't invalidate those who predicted something along these lines would happen. 

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

So what you are saying is that even though he was correct in predicting it was a bad move, it's not a bad move because... it is a bad move?

The only people on the planet who defended the decision last year were Jaguar affiliated (either FO or fans). Claiming "but he didnt show this before!" doesn't invalidate those who predicted something along these lines would happen. 

What national pundits after last year's playoff run said we needed to cut bait? Please show me.

The only time I saw someone say we should move on is if they paid Cousins, who was the only clear upgrade to Bortles back then. The only rookie QB we had a chance to get was Lamar Jackson. The other FA QBs consisted of over the hill vets that aren't taking you anywhere or hoping for lighting in a bottle from Bridgewater who had major knee issues and not many teams went after for said injury and McCarron who brought in an unknown element, which we now know would have been an atrocious signing.