2019 Offseason Plan

TheVillain112

Since the 2018 season is over, it's time to look at what the Bengals should (they won't) do to turn the ship around in 2019:

1.) Fire Marvin Lewis.  This one is obvious but most likely won't happen until after the 2019 season.  Potential replacements:

College Ranks
- Lincoln Riley: Won't happen but you have to explore it.
- Matt Rhule
- Matt Campbell

NFL
- John DeFilippo
- Vic Fangio
- Matt LaFleur
- Eric Bieniemy
- Bruce Arians
- James Bettcher

2.) Fix the OL. As I'm sure you guys know by now, I'm a big proponent of the trenches.  I don't see us getting much better at receiver or RB, and while I'd love to upgrade the QB position, I don't see any viable options in this draft.

With the first pick, we should take an OT and plug them into RT, hope Billy Price improves in year 2 at Center, and hope the next head coach will give Westerman a shot at RG (Although Redmond is growing on me).

3.) Fix the LB Position:

- Sign K.J. Wright in free agency.  The Seahawks will have to pay Frank Clark and Russell Wilson, which leaves them with little money to extend KJ Wright.
- Sign Shaquil Barrett in free agency.  Can be used as a blitzing LB, and should add some thump to our LB corps.
- Sign Jake Ryan in free agency.  Often injuried but has some good upside.
- Draft a young LB in the 3rd round of the draft.

With Vigil, Jefferson, Wright, Barrett, Ryan, that's a decent 5 LB rotation and hope that Burfict or Evans does better next season.

4.) Draft a DT

- We need more depth at DT.  Losing Glasgow was a huge blow, but we'll need to have a better plan than just getting him back.  This is a loaded DT class, so hopefully we can get one in the 2nd round (or even dare I say, trade up for one).

5.) Draft a Tight End

- Like DT, this draft is loaded at TE.  I'm Ok with waiting for one in the mid-rounds to address the position as Uzomah is an Ok option.

I can't even care about 2-5 until #1 is complete.

That being said, i think #3 needs to be 2nd priority.  They're sinking the entire defense, which has some nice pieces at DL and Corner and Safety.  Sinking it worse than the offensive line sunk the offense last year.

#4 and #5 sound good too.

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

I can't even care about 2-5 until #1 is complete.

That being said, i think #3 needs to be 2nd priority.  They're sinking the entire defense, which has some nice pieces at DL and Corner and Safety.  Sinking it worse than the offensive line sunk the offense last year.

#4 and #5 sound good too.

There's a couple of reasons why LB is priority #3 for me:

1. Offense matters more than Defense in today's NFL.  See Rams and Chiefs.
  2. Our coaching sucks.  I'd like to see what another coach and defensive scheme can do to make our LBs look competent at least.

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:
  • Offense matters more than Defense in today's NFL.  See Rams and Chiefs.
  •  

Yes, however i think personally we should be evaluating defenses with different metrics in today's NFL.  I would argue that points allowed and yards allowed don't necessary mean what they used to.  So yeah, the Rams and Chiefs have bad traditional defenses.  But they also both do a good job creating turnovers and getting the ball back to their historic offenses quickly.

Rams are 5th in takeaways.  Chiefs are 10th.

Bengals can't stop anyone or create a turnover.

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  1. Our coaching sucks.  I'd like to see what another coach and defensive scheme can do to make our LBs look competent at least.

A few have some hope.  But you don't honestly think that another coach can make Tez not a knucklehead and make Hardy Nickerson competent?  Do you?  I'd keep Vigil, Evans for sure.  The rest are on notice and try to find their replacements.

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yes, however i think personally we should be evaluating defenses with different metrics in today's NFL.  I would argue that points allowed and yards allowed don't necessary mean what they used to.  So yeah, the Rams and Chiefs have bad traditional defenses.  But they also both do a good job creating turnovers and getting the ball back to their historic offenses quickly.

Rams are 5th in takeaways.  Chiefs are 10th.

Bengals can't stop anyone or create a turnover.

A few have some hope.  But you don't honestly think that another coach can make Tez not a knucklehead and make Hardy Nickerson competent?  Do you?  I'd keep Vigil, Evans for sure.  The rest are on notice and try to find their replacements.

I'll expand on the coaching comment:

• Hopefully a coach that understands just how limited Nickerson is, and he isn't on the roster. (Same with Vinny Rey)
  • A coach that can generate pressure instead of just rushing 4 every time, and ever so often blitzing.  Pressure upfront will make the LBs look better.
  • Jefferson, Vigil, and Evans need better coaching.  Combine them with some (good) Vet free agent LBs, and some more draft picks and that's about all you can hope for in one offseason.  Adding a high pick at LB while still not being able to generate pressure with the same stupid defensive scheme isn't going to fix jack...

15 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'll expand on the coaching comment:

• Hopefully a coach that understands just how limited Nickerson is, and he isn't on the roster. (Same with Vinny Rey)
  • A coach that can generate pressure instead of just rushing 4 every time, and ever so often blitzing.  Pressure upfront will make the LBs look better.
  • Jefferson, Vigil, and Evans need better coaching.  Combine them with some (good) Vet free agent LBs, and some more draft picks and that's about all you can hope for in one offseason.  Adding a high pick at LB while still not being able to generate pressure with the same stupid defensive scheme isn't going to fix jack...

I agree with all that.  I just think it's a higher priority than the offensive line.

With the line, we're really just talking about RT.  I'd move Hopkins to RG, draft some guys in rounds 3-7, and call it good enough.  Address RT in round 1 or 2 if there's a guy available.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I agree with all that.  I just think it's a higher priority than the offensive line.

With the line, we're really just talking about RT.  I'd move Hopkins to RG, draft some guys in rounds 3-7, and call it good enough.  Address RT in round 1 or 2 if there's a guy available.

You know me, never going to complain if we use a first round pick on an OL or DL player.  Do it every year if needed...

From the outside looking in, I’d like to offer my perspective in the most creative way I can; simply just for fun. I drifted over to your message board, curious to get Who Dey’s feels on Andy Dalton.

Marvin Lewis is a bum. I think every one can say they wish for a better coach upon your Bengals.

Here are some names to throw out:

Favorites:

Eric Bieniemy

Dan Campbell

Mike Munchak

Unlikely:

Bruce Arians 

Matt LaFleur

David Shaw

Hope Not:

John DeFilippo

Jim Schwartz

Dark Horses:

George Edwards

Hugh Freeze

Luke Fickell

Greg Schiano

Now in my scenario, I hope Mike Brown comes to his senses and axes not only Marvin Lewis, but every individual on the staff. If you’re not apart of the solution, you’re a part of the problem.

I’ve got faith in Greg Schiano as a head coach in the NFL. He deserves another shot and in my mock offseason, he will get that in Cincinnati. He’s been solid for Ohio State after subpar seasons in Tampa Bay with a subpar roster. He won’t be able to right the ship all by himself, but he’ll fill a big role.

An offensive coordinator will be needed to help aide Schiano. In steps new offensive coordinator, Duce Staley. Staley has been remarkable and will be interviewing for head coaching positions not too far out from now. Until he’s ready for that, I believe he could be ready to be the guy in charge of the offense. This will be a huge positive for Joe Mixon as well.

Greg will get his own guys for the rest of the positions I’m sure, but I feel Staley would just be an awesome addition.

On to the roster...

the Bengals do have some nice pieces to work with, but Andy Dalton obviously has to go. There’s no scenario where neither him nor Marv should be in Cincinnati next year. With the ability to have $70+mil in cap space after cutting Dalton and some other lose ends off, the Bengals can be players in free agency.

Go big or go home. The Bengals will need to be some what splashy to reel in ticket sales, as they could be competing in Ohio with the up and coming Browns for fans unfathomably.

Free Agents:

QB  Teddy Bridgewater, New Orleans

OT Daryl Williams, Carolina 

LB Cory Littleton, Los Angeles (RFA)

I  won’t highlight the draft picks in bold because I don’t want to draw attention and catch flack :)

1st round - Dre’Mont Jones, DL, Ohio State

2nd round  - Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon

3rd round - Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

4th round - Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford

Jones would have an immediate impact on an already young defensive line. Throckmorton will solidify the tackle position. Bush suffered what looked to be a pretty significant injury so he may slide but the Bengals would be wise to ****** him up and get him on a roster that doesn’t necessarily have to win right now by any means. Smith is next in line of great Stanford tight ends in the pro league. He will likely have an immediate impact in this offense.

just kind of baked and goofing around. What do you think?

12 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

3.) Fix the LB Position:

- Sign K.J. Wright in free agency.  The Seahawks will have to pay Frank Clark and Russell Wilson, which leaves them with little money to extend KJ Wright.
- Sign Shaquil Barrett in free agency.  Can be used as a blitzing LB, and should add some thump to our LB corps.
- Sign Jake Ryan in free agency.  Often injuried but has some good upside.
- Draft a young LB in the 3rd round of the draft.

A slight FYI - Shaq is a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE that is most definitely best when going forward exclusively.  There is no way he could play as a 4-3 LB in space on a consistent basis; he doesn't have the lateral agility or straight line speed to do it.

4 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

the Bengals do have some nice pieces to work with, but Andy Dalton obviously has to go. There’s no scenario where neither him nor Marv should be in Cincinnati next year. With the ability to have $70+mil in cap space after cutting Dalton and some other lose ends off, the Bengals can be players in free agency.

I like most of your thinking, but here are my two cents.

IF there's a new staff next year, i think it behooves them to keep Dalton around for another year.  He's a little above replacement value, and a known quantity.  Good locker room guy, etc.  They can draft his replacement and have confidence that Dalton isn't going to give him the cold shoulder.  He can help develop the new guy for a year while he auditions for a new job.  New guy can then take over the following year.

I don't necessarily mind rookies starting, but they should be top of the draft guys, and i'm not sure there's that guy available this year.  As for Bridgewater, it's not a bad option.  But the rest of us Bengals fans can tell you we dream of the day the Bengals sign an impact free agent.  It just doesn't happen.

29 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Id like to see Devin White in stripes

If he falls to the 2nd I'm all for it.  We're about to see the combination of Ogbuehi, Andre Smith, and Bobby Hart playing Tackle.  I'd like to draft an OT as soon as possible.  Dalton Risner should be on the board when we pick, and he looks like a Day 1, plug-and-play Tackle...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

If he falls to the 2nd I'm all for it.  We're about to see the combination of Ogbuehi, Andre Smith, and Bobby Hart playing Tackle.  I'd like to draft an OT as soon as possible.  Dalton Risner should be on the board when we pick, and he looks like a Day 1, plug-and-play Tackle...

Fisher, Ogbuehi and Hart are UFA's, so at least we won't have to worry about seeing them next year (unless Marv is back).  If Marv is back, i bet they re-sign Hart and probably Fisher to 1 year deals.  A new coach won't bring them back.

Redmond and Hopkins are both RFA's, so we'll probably see them come back.

So yeah, i think we need to draft some tackles.  I would take 2, and see if either can be developed to replace Glenn.

Archived