2019 Offseason Plan

TheVillain112

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Fisher, Ogbuehi and Hart are UFA's, so at least we won't have to worry about seeing them next year (unless Marv is back).  If Marv is back, i bet they re-sign Hart and probably Fisher to 1 year deals.  A new coach won't bring them back.

Redmond and Hopkins are both RFA's, so we'll probably see them come back.

So yeah, i think we need to draft some tackles.  I would take 2, and see if either can be developed to replace Glenn.

I'd take teo also.  With there streak we are on, Jonas Williams or Greg Little might be there.  I've seen Risner listed as a round 2-3 guy, and if he ends up in that range, we could grab two.  Risner to RT and the other for LT.  I'd keep Hopkins at C and Price to RG with Boling as the obvious LG.  I'd keep Westerman and Redmond as backups.  If we land Risner, he and Price could be other options at C as well, as Risner played they=re early in his career.  Glenn sticks around as one of them is groomed in the same way Marvin "seasons" all rookie first rounders here. 

I have no idea where Tavon Coney ends up, so he could be a high round 2 option possibly.  I really like Devin White, but we HAVE to improve the offensive line.  West Virginia has Long, who is the ideal size for a coverage LB.  take another possible OT later too, or keep Fisher/Hart around another year.  Draft a fourth round or so TE if we lose more than one of the top three this year.

I'd trade for Cook at TE from the Raiders.  Grab a WR in free agency as well.  Then I'd keep Preston Brown, Dennard, and Eifert/Uzomah.  If we lose the TEs then consider keeping Kroft.  Even tho we have a bunch of FAs, many of them are restricted or ERFA due to bouncing on and off the practice squad.  They obviously make it to camp as depth at worst

Count me in on a first round OT. I haven’t checked out one second of draft eligible players this year so unless a possible franchise qb or that Oliver dude from Houston are there...

Since they won’t be bringing in any worthy free agents just draft three lb’s throughout next year’s draft. Not the best plan but what else can we expect from this franchise.

Just realized.  We're keeping Marvin as head coach for next season.  Bill Lazor gets fired, and Hue Jackson becomes OC.  Marvin will continue to be "DC" unless Paul Guenther gets fired and we bring him back as DC.

The old gang is back together to make a push for another 1-and-done playoff loss...

42 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Just realized.  We're keeping Marvin as head coach for next season.  Bill Lazor gets fired, and Hue Jackson becomes OC.  Marvin will continue to be "DC" unless Paul Guenther gets fired and we bring him back as DC.

The old gang is back together to make a push for another 1-and-done playoff loss...

Vance Joseph is DC if he gets canned in Denver.  Then Vance takes over for Marvin in 2020.  Hue remains as OC.  You just realized this?  That's the first thing I thought of when we hired him.  Lazor sucks.  It makes too much sense.

Do you guys think that there's any chance that you shop AJ Green this off season? He's going into the last year of his deal, and his new contract seems likely to cost in the 18-19 million per range. He's already 30 and now coming off an injury. If you guys overhaul the staff, do you think he's going to be put on the market? 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you guys think that there's any chance that you shop AJ Green this off season? He's going into the last year of his deal, and his new contract seems likely to cost in the 18-19 million per range. He's already 30 and now coming off an injury. If you guys overhaul the staff, do you think he's going to be put on the market? 

Simply put, no. Our overhaul is going to be coaching-based so don't expect to see a fire sale. Our roster is far from devoid of talent - finding a competent HC to capitalize on that talent should be the main concern moving forward after this season. The optimistic part of me expects a pretty quick turnaround if we find the coaching staff. 

Even after firing Teryl Austin a couple weeks ago our defense has looked far better these last two weeks. I don't see us dwelling at the bottom for long.

Also, AJ Green - God bless his soul - already stated he has no interest in changing teams and is loyal to the team that drafted him. Although most fans would admit he deserves better.

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Simply put, no. Our overhaul is going to be coaching-based so don't expect to see a fire sale. Our roster is far from devoid of talent - finding a competent HC to capitalize on that talent should be the main concern moving forward after this season. The optimistic part of me expects a pretty quick turnaround if we find the coaching staff. 

Even after firing Teryl Austin a couple weeks ago our defense has looked far better these last two weeks. I don't see us dwelling at the bottom for long.

Also, AJ Green - God bless his soul - already stated he has no interest in changing teams and is loyal to the team that drafted him. Although most fans would admit he deserves better.

Makes sense. As a fan of a team that would love to have him, obviously makes me a little sad LOL. He's great for any team...tremendous talent, classy dude. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

With Mike Brown as our owner, no.  AJ Green keeps this team just mediocre enough for his satisfaction...

• 3 weeks later...

Updated offseason plan (Leaving out coaching discussion for now):

• Free Agent transactions:
    • KJ Wright, LB - We desperately need LBs and Wright is the best available.
    • Cut Michael Johnson
    • Robert Quinn, DE - Replace Michael Johnson with a DE that can get pressure.  Miami is expected to cut Quinn but as a rotation DE, I think he would be a good addition for our team.
  • Draft priorities:
    • 1st round
      • Ed Oliver, DT, Houston - Doubtful he's on the board and we have bigger needs, but if he's somehow still available, don't overthink it and just take the stud.
      • Devin White, LB, LSU - Only true first round LB talent in the draft.  Adding White and Wright in one offseason drastically upgrades our LB position.
      • Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma - Massive RT with better feet than you would expect from a tackle his size.  Plug him in at RT and put Westerman as our starting RG.  Those two would be fantastic upgrades for our OL.
      • Dwayne Haskins, QB, OSU - If he declares and is available, it's worth investing in.
      • Drew Lock, QB, Missouri - See above.  Need to watch more games of his, but boy does he have some arm talent.
      • Yodny Cajuste, OT, WVU - Start him off at RT, and develop him to be the successor to Cordy Glenn at LT.
    • 2nd round
      • Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama - Best all-around TE in the draft.  Doubt he'll still be on the board but if he is, take him.
      • T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa - Another beast all-around TE.
      • Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford - TE is probably the most loaded position in this draft.  Fant, Irv Smith, Hockenson, and Kaden Smith are all first round talents.  One of them I'm expecting to fall to the 2nd round, where I hope we draft them.
      • Vosean Joseph, LB, Florida - If we miss out on Devin White in the first, then Vosean is a solid 2nd round selection.  Has athleticism that none of our current LBs possess.
      • Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State - Terrific all around LB, with length.  Physical enough to play the run, and has the athleticism and ability to be a great cover LB.  Converted safety (I believe).

4 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd like to see some second round tackle possibilities. 

• Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State - There's a lot of questions about his size (weight and length) to play OT or if he'll need to move inside.  I think he can play OT in the NFL, but some risk there will drop him to the second round.
  • Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss - Physically everything you want, but he's a project.
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida - Another physically imposing big dude.  Movement skills and ability against speed rushers is a concern.

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:
  • Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State - There's a lot of questions about his size (weight and length) to play OT or if he'll need to move inside.  I think he can play OT in the NFL, but some risk there will drop him to the second round.
  • Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss - Physically everything you want, but he's a project.
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida - Another physically imposing big dude.  Movement skills and ability against speed rushers is a concern.

If we got White in the first and any one of these guys in the second, I'd be ecstatic.  Might even get me to renew those tickets.  Another LB in the third and we are humming

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

If we got White in the first and any one of these guys in the second, I'd be ecstatic.  Might even get me to renew those tickets.  Another LB in the third and we are humming

Duke Manyweather who knows far more about OL talent than I ever will just said on Twitter that Greg Little had a fantastic season and isn't as much of a project anymore.  So him at #11 is probably in play...

Archived