Sign in to follow this  
TheVillain112

2019 Offseason Plan

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Duke Manyweather who knows far more about OL talent than I ever will just said on Twitter that Greg Little had a fantastic season and isn't as much of a project anymore.  So him at #11 is probably in play...

I'm down with that.  His Pass Pro is better than Jonah Williams anyway.

edit:  I still think we should try to fix the o-line thru free agency with a RT/RG.  But that would not preclude me from still taking Little.  Another thought would be Little to LT and Glenn to RT (if he can switch.... you now how this team loves to say guys have one side or the other in them)

Edited by INbengalfan
added to it

18 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

you now how this team loves to say guys have one side or the other in them

I think (and hope) we can forget about anything we knew about this team prior to Monday unless we're talking about something where Mike Brown is involved.  A new HC will have a big influence over that.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I think (and hope) we can forget about anything we knew about this team prior to Monday unless we're talking about something where Mike Brown is involved.  A new HC will have a big influence over that.

I think we will see quite a few of the same coaches next year. Pollack and van Pelt in particular seem likely to be retained. I also would not be shocked to see  Joseph as the first choice for DC regardless of the head coach. 

As far as Little.  He seems an excellent  candidate to start at RT for two years before sliding over to the left side. 

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

I think we will see quite a few of the same coaches next year. Pollack and van Pelt in particular seem likely to be retained. I also would not be shocked to see  Joseph as the first choice for DC regardless of the head coach. 

I don't want to pollute this thread about coaches, since it's about something else.  But i don't think that's going to be the case unless they hire someone internal.

I expect some positional coaches to be retained, but i don't see the new guy agreeing to Mike Brown's favorites as OC and DC.

I do think Darrin Simmons is highly likely to be retained, no matter who is hired.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

edit:  I still think we should try to fix the o-line thru free agency with a RT/RG. 

By signing whom?

23 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

edit:  I still think we should try to fix the o-line thru free agency with a RT/RG. 

By signing whom?

I’m not sure who’s out there but we should try to at least get one position addressed through FA. 

50 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’m not sure who’s out there but we should try to at least get one position addressed through FA. 

That would be ideal, but that concept only works if someone is available. It doesn't appear that way so far.

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I'm hoping we sign KJ Wright in FA.  Him + Vigil + a rookie LB (or three) is how I want us to attack that position.

Then draft a RT in the first two rounds.  Also, trade up in the 3rd if a stud TE drops...

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I don't want to pollute this thread about coaches, since it's about something else.  But i don't think that's going to be the case unless they hire someone internal.

I expect some positional coaches to be retained, but i don't see the new guy agreeing to Mike Brown's favorites as OC and DC.

I do think Darrin Simmons is highly likely to be retained, no matter who is hired.

Offseason plan doesn't involve coaching?  You don't think the new head guy is going to have to be on the same page as MB? I don't see them trying to interview anyone that will have the cache to demand full autonomy and I don't think  Brown is likely to give it. If he tells Eric B that Vance Joseph is your DC next year and a couple other coaches are also staying, is that a problem?  I'd think pulling a full staff would be a little harder. I know at least they are going to discuss possible assistants. 

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Offseason plan doesn't involve coaching?  You don't think the new head guy is going to have to be on the same page as MB? I don't see them trying to interview anyone that will have the cache to demand full autonomy and I don't think  Brown is likely to give it. If he tells Eric B that Vance Joseph is your DC next year and a couple other coaches are also staying, is that a problem?  I'd think pulling a full staff would be a little harder. I know at least they are going to discuss possible assistants. 

If Brown sticks to his old mantra, one of the conditions of the new HC will be that he does indeed have to keep some of the signed assistant coaches, which could cause our top candidate (whoever that is) to walk away.  I would keep Pollack, Simmons and Van Pelt for sure.  I could see Bienemy rolling with Joseph and Hue if he wasn't able to lure guys he is close to away from KC or wherever else they are currently employed.  Those employers may not release those coaches either.  The NFL only has a cart blanch pass for assistants set to become head coaches.  Heck, we blocked Denver from getting Joseph when he still had a year left on his deal.

Posted (edited)

The Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue believes Panthers RT Daryl Williams is "likely to test the market."

Williams broke out in 2017, but he tore his MCL and dislocated his kneecap in the preseason this year, lasting just 56 snaps when he attempted to return in Week 1. That injury is a concern, but at just 26, Williams should command a nice contract on the open market. With C Ryan Kalil retired, the Panthers have some serious issues to deal with along the offensive line this offseason. Jan 8 - 9:44 AM

Edited by SmittyBacall

After Trevor Lawrence's performance, I have an alternate plan.  Andy Dalton's contract is up after the 2020 season, and Trevor Lawrence is draft eligible for the 2021 draft.  Sign Hue Jackson to a 2-year contract and let's see what happens...

23 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

After Trevor Lawrence's performance, I have an alternate plan.  Andy Dalton's contract is up after the 2020 season, and Trevor Lawrence is draft eligible for the 2021 draft.  Sign Hue Jackson to a 2-year contract and let's see what happens...

I joked about the same thing last night. 

Speaking Wednesday, impending free agent Thomas Davis said he has been informed by the Panthers that he will not be re-signed, but that he intends to continue his playing career.

Going on 36, Davis has spent his entire 14-year career in Carolina. Although not the player he once was, Davis has moved on from his mid-career ACL woes to become an iron man in the middle of the field. After serving a four-game steroid suspension in 2018, Davis played 649 effective snaps. He should draw interest as a role player/extra coach on defense. Jan 9 - 10:21 PM

Effective and cheap - the Bengals way. We've seen this before with AJ Hawk and Karlos Dansby. Granted, those didn't work out. Thomas still plays on another level than those two did when they were in stripes. Signing him would give us a veteran presence for the young guys, and added flexibility entering the draft. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3135/thomas-davis

Edited by SmittyBacall