How to improve the 49ers in the 2019 offseason

Geek

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think he will come cheap, but the safety market has been fairly questionable the last few years. He was just so good last year but mostly everyone on the Rams defense seems to be under-performing. 

Are Tartt and Colbert not good enough?

I always worry a little about over investing in the safety spot. Unless they are a turnover creator/big play guy.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I always worry a little about over investing in the safety spot. Unless they are a turnover creator/big play guy.

Tartt is good but injury prone but we have Harris as a back-up who hasn't looked bad the last few weeks. Colbert should sit for a year to improve the mental side of his game. He has all the physical tools you want but he bites too quick or reacts too slow. Looked good last year but started the year off really bad. Who knows which Colbert we will get next year but in terms of needs for our secondary i think a really good FS is absolutely the biggest one.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Tartt is good when he is healthy, but he misses time every single season. But getting Joyner wouldn't be to replace him, it would to get us a reliable FS. Colbert was good his rookie season when he took over, but was far from that this year. Just not enough on him either way to be comfortable with him being a starter next season.

Just a quick offseason I'd like to possibly see for the niners. Doesn't address every need but definitely provides some depth in areas, spends some of our money on quality, impactful FAs and adds plenty of new blood to a severely lacking pass rush.

FAs : Tyrell Williams, WR, large bodied, athletic WR ; Maxx Williams, TE, a young TE who's graded very well blocking and possesses athleticism ; John Miller, OG, was terrible as a rookie but improved greatly his sophomore year and I believe has continued to play well this year adding competition to a re-signed Person and Tomlinson ; CJ Mosley, ILB, possibly lure him away with a big contract the Ravens can't match but would be a great signing in my mind in terms of past success, leadership and production in the middle of our defense next to Warner ; Earl Thomas, FS, Sherman talks him into joining the squad and he can get back at the Hawks with a much earned paycheck and two games a year against his former squad/leadership.

DRAFT : 1st) Josh Allen, LEO/SAM, huge fan of his and not a bad consolation prize for playing our way out of Bosa ; 2nd) Kelvin Harmon, WR, really like his frame, athleticism, hands and competitiveness paired with Pettis and Goodwin in the future ; 3rd) Chase Winovich, LEO/SAM, admittedly a bit of a draft crush and while athleticism may be just average his motor, technique and ability to hold an edge and get after the QB would be welcomed depth on the edge for us ; 4th) Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB, 6'3" physical corner who shows good athleticism and tools to build on in our system who has experience against top competition showing well ; 6th) Khalil Hodge, ILB/SAM, very productive, athletic with a good frame who is all over the place on the field and someone who I feel could back up multiple positions while being a terror on ST

No big names at CB or with our pass rush in FA but I don't see any CBs really worth a lot of coin at CB this year and the big names in FA who would help our pass rush I see either being tagged or re-signed or maybe not worth the big contract they may go for. Personally I'd rather add experience at important positions, MIKE and FS and try our hand at acquiring some youngsters to get after the QB and see what we have at CB with Sherman another year removed from injury, Witherspoon and Moore with another season, Johnson added to the mix as well as a full year with Reed at the slot. At SS let Harris, Colbert and Tartt battle it out to see who earns playing time next to Thomas.

On offense I would love to add some big time, proven play makers and IOL but don't see any out there really worth it so some depth in Williams and Williams, resign Mostert as our RB3 and ST guy and with another year of continuity along the OL think they can continue to improve by bringing back Person and adding a little competition in Miller who should be able to earn a starting gig.

I just worry when you pay a guy like Joyner 10-12 million/season and he is not a true difference maker.

Safety to me is a position where you can step in a financial hole signing guys who do not really effect games. Guys like Earl Thomas, obviously the exception, but there are so few safeties that have a consistently big impact.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just worry when you pay a guy like Joyner 10-12 million/season and he is not a true difference maker.

Safety to me is a position where you can step in a financial hole signing guys who do not really effect games. Guys like Earl Thomas, obviously the exception, but there are so few safeties that have a consistently big impact.

That's a good point, but in this system, you need a game changer at the FS position. At the very least you need a play maker from that position that has good instincts. If not, then the defense will continue to be inconsistent. This is why I wanted Derwin James badly.....Actually wanted Roquan Smith more with Foster's uncertainty, but you guys had other plans there lol. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's a good point, but in this system, you need a game changer at the FS position. At the very least you need a play maker from that position that has good instincts. If not, then the defense will continue to be inconsistent. This is why I wanted Derwin James badly.....Actually wanted Roquan Smith more with Foster's uncertainty, but you guys had other plans there lol. 

Then I think you need to look in the draft.

The true FS-center fielder types do not regularly hit free agency.

How many of them are there in the NFL? 

-Harrison Smith

-Eddie Jackson

-Devin McCourtey

-Kevin Byard

-Eric Berry

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

At this point the worst thing the 49ers can do is upset the Bears or the Rams.

Any increase to Mullins value will be 10x worse in terms of lost value to the other picks.

Definitely, the best case scenario would be Mullens playing well in a loss. We only have five picks next year so I expect some trade downs regardless to accumulate picks. Obviously getting a decent pick for Mullens would be the cherry on the top. 

Even if we stay at #3 or #4, I see us dropping down a bit for a QB needy team and getting an extra 2nd or 3rd. 

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Then I think you need to look in the draft.

The true FS-center fielder types do not regularly hit free agency.

How many of them are there in the NFL? 

-Harrison Smith

-Eddie Jackson

-Devin McCourtey

-Kevin Byard

-Eric Berry

Who in the draft fits that bill though? Thompson? Thomas is the no brainier but he's far from a guarantee. Joyner may be the next best option. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, the best case scenario would be Mullens playing well in a loss. We only have five picks next year so I expect some trade downs regardless to accumulate picks. Obviously getting a decent pick for Mullens would be the cherry on the top. 

Even if we stay at #3 or #4, I see us dropping down a bit for a QB needy team and getting an extra 2nd or 3rd. 

Who in the draft fits that bill though? Thompson? Thomas is the no brainier but he's far from a guarantee. Joyner may be the next best option. 

I do not know about the draft, we have no picks and I have been looking at 3rd round RT options.

I worry you pay 10/season to Joyner out of need and it hurts your ability to make better moves. I think you are better served going young and cheaper and investing that in a free agent market with more upside.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Just a quick offseason I'd like to possibly see for the niners. Doesn't address every need but definitely provides some depth in areas, spends some of our money on quality, impactful FAs and adds plenty of new blood to a severely lacking pass rush.

FAs : Tyrell Williams, WR, large bodied, athletic WR ; Maxx Williams, TE, a young TE who's graded very well blocking and possesses athleticism ; John Miller, OG, was terrible as a rookie but improved greatly his sophomore year and I believe has continued to play well this year adding competition to a re-signed Person and Tomlinson ; CJ Mosley, ILB, possibly lure him away with a big contract the Ravens can't match but would be a great signing in my mind in terms of past success, leadership and production in the middle of our defense next to Warner ; Earl Thomas, FS, Sherman talks him into joining the squad and he can get back at the Hawks with a much earned paycheck and two games a year against his former squad/leadership.

DRAFT : 1st) Josh Allen, LEO/SAM, huge fan of his and not a bad consolation prize for playing our way out of Bosa ; 2nd) Kelvin Harmon, WR, really like his frame, athleticism, hands and competitiveness paired with Pettis and Goodwin in the future ; 3rd) Chase Winovich, LEO/SAM, admittedly a bit of a draft crush and while athleticism may be just average his motor, technique and ability to hold an edge and get after the QB would be welcomed depth on the edge for us ; 4th) Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB, 6'3" physical corner who shows good athleticism and tools to build on in our system who has experience against top competition showing well ; 6th) Khalil Hodge, ILB/SAM, very productive, athletic with a good frame who is all over the place on the field and someone who I feel could back up multiple positions while being a terror on ST

No big names at CB or with our pass rush in FA but I don't see any CBs really worth a lot of coin at CB this year and the big names in FA who would help our pass rush I see either being tagged or re-signed or maybe not worth the big contract they may go for. Personally I'd rather add experience at important positions, MIKE and FS and try our hand at acquiring some youngsters to get after the QB and see what we have at CB with Sherman another year removed from injury, Witherspoon and Moore with another season, Johnson added to the mix as well as a full year with Reed at the slot. At SS let Harris, Colbert and Tartt battle it out to see who earns playing time next to Thomas.

On offense I would love to add some big time, proven play makers and IOL but don't see any out there really worth it so some depth in Williams and Williams, resign Mostert as our RB3 and ST guy and with another year of continuity along the OL think they can continue to improve by bringing back Person and adding a little competition in Miller who should be able to earn a starting gig.

I agree with a lot of this, just not very familiar with your 2nd and 4th picks in the draft.

16 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I agree with a lot of this, just not very familiar with your 2nd and 4th picks in the draft.

Not a whole lot of film on Lonnie Johnson that I could find but a starter immediately stepping on campus at UK and matched up against a lot of quality WRs in SEC as UK's best CB by far.

Harmon gets hype as a fringe 1st/2nd round WR but has good size at 6'2" 200 plus, can high point the ball, make the catch in traffic, get YAC, with solid athleticism and a good understanding of route running. He's not afraid to get physical, actually looks like he enjoys using his pads, and blocks well for as well.

It's good to be back @Forge. Been good, life and work picked up but was always creeping in here time and again. Appreciate the welcome back. Got to watch some great games this year live vs. Raiders, vs. Broncos and vs. Seahawks so next year I'll be going to every game fellas.

Also, if the niners ended up not addressing the FS position through FA and instead go through the draft, Nasir Adderley from Delaware is a stud. His tape looks like ET. 

Archived