How to improve the 49ers in the 2019 offseason

Geek

Just now, Justone2 said:

The way Moore, Harris and Reed have looked the past few weeks plus the way Spoon played once he returned to the line-up. The whole defense was sloppy to start the year and Colbert and Spoon sure where a part of that but the way our defense has progressed over the year also has a lot to do with how our secondary is playing with guys that where bottom of the depth chart or PS to start the season. We have a lot of young guys on the back-end and those guys will have ups and downs.

With Colbert i wish he would have stayed healthy or at the very least would have been able to come back later in the year to see how he would look at this point. 

3 rookies with extremely limited samples and we don't even have a baseline for them yet. There's no way we can really talk of "progression" there. 

Just now, Forge said:

3 rookies with extremely limited samples and we don't even have a baseline for them yet. There's no way we can really talk of "progression" there. 

I think with progression i more meant they where well prepared to step in. I am not saying Haffley is a great DB coach but with the injuries and the overall youth of our backfield i think he deserves another year.

Just now, Justone2 said:

I think with progression i more meant they where well prepared to step in. I am not saying Haffley is a great DB coach but with the injuries and the overall youth of our backfield i think he deserves another year.

Yeah, I can't get behind that thinking unless you think that Wilks simply isn't better than Hafley, which I really couldn't understand based on what he has done throughout his career. That line of thinking strikes me as, "he deserves another year because he may not be the worst coach ever, and he really hasn't been bad enough to deserve getting fired". But if I have someone I think is just flat out better, why wouldn't I fire him and hire the superior option? I want the team to be better. Its not like Hafley is in his first year here. It's his third, and in those three years, what have we developed out of our secondary? Really not much, tbh. Yeah, he may not be awful, I just think we can do better. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I can't get behind that thinking unless you think that Wilks simply isn't better than Hafley, which I really couldn't understand based on what he has done throughout his career. That line of thinking strikes me as, "he deserves another year because he may not be the worst coach ever, and he really hasn't been bad enough to deserve getting fired". But if I have someone I think is just flat out better, why wouldn't I fire him and hire the superior option? I want the team to be better. Its not like Hafley is in his first year here. It's his third, and in those three years, what have we developed out of our secondary? Really not much, tbh. Yeah, he may not be awful, I just think we can do better. 

Yeah i don't think Wilks is on the level of a guy like Donatel for example. Wilks has done some good work with corners thats for sure but if we go and sign a DB Coach i would probably prefer Vance Joseph over Wilks.

Just now, Justone2 said:

Yeah i don't think Wilks is on the level of a guy like Donatel for example. Wilks has done some good work with corners thats for sure but if we go and sign a DB Coach i would probably prefer Vance Joseph over Wilks.

I have no problem with Vance. I think that would be a great hire as well. My concern with Vance is that he may have DC jobs available to him...with Wilks only having 1 year experience as a DC, I thought it more likely that he would have to take a positional coach job as a DC job may not be guaranteed. 

Donatel was a guy I was trying to get for us to go after as DC when we were talking about firing Saleh :D

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I have no problem with Vance. I think that would be a great hire as well. My concern with Vance is that he may have DC jobs available to him...with Wilks only having 1 year experience as a DC, I thought it more likely that he would have to take a positional coach job as a DC job may not be guaranteed. 

Donatel was a guy I was trying to get for us to go after as DC when we were talking about firing Saleh :D

Vance only had one year as a DC before being hired by the Broncos and really didn't look too good from what i remember in that one year with the Dolphins. For Wilks i think the biggest chance is he returns to the Panthers since he basically has worked almost his entire time in the NFL under Rivera.

16 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Vance only had one year as a DC before being hired by the Broncos and really didn't look too good from what i remember in that one year with the Dolphins. For Wilks i think the biggest chance is he returns to the Panthers since he basically has worked almost his entire time in the NFL under Rivera.

I saw somewhere that Cincy could be his destination as DC.

33 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

How about todd bowles replacing Saleh?

I like Bowles as a DC but i think Saleh has deserved another year with some added edge rushers. Saleh sure has his flaws but a lot of what went wrong at the start was on the players messing up and nog making easy tackles. Once those where corrected the defense has looked way better and with some added rush to make the QB more uncomfortable the turnover numbers should go up.

32 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I saw somewhere that Cincy could be his destination as DC.

Could very well be i think having a HC step back to position coach directly is pretty unlikely. Even a guy like Tomsula who was pretty clearly best fit as a D-line coach and not a DC or HC took a year off before going to the Redskins.

15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I like Bowles as a DC but i think Saleh has deserved another year with some added edge rushers. Saleh sure has his flaws but a lot of what went wrong at the start was on the players messing up and nog making easy tackles. Once those where corrected the defense has looked way better and with some added rush to make the QB more uncomfortable the turnover numbers should go up.

Could very well be i think having a HC step back to position coach directly is pretty unlikely. Even a guy like Tomsula who was pretty clearly best fit as a D-line coach and not a DC or HC took a year off before going to the Redskins.

Wilks has been fired.

22 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Good call. For some reason I thought Vance had a longer history on the DC front. For some reason though, early reports are that Cincy likes him to replace Marvin :S

It's not the staff changes I was looking at, but this probably shouldn't be ignored as it could be a big issue with regards to improving the team. I mentioned it a couple of days ago; the eagles canned their entire medical staff following their super bowl wins. Sometimes, something is wrong, and I think a lot of us have talked about this in the past. 

Archived