Broncos @ Bengals GDT

broncosfan07

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So we're giving 4.5 points thats kinda low given the fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire and they have a backup qb making his first start.

Our record on the road and in early games probably has a lot to do with that. 

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

So we're giving 4.5 points thats kinda low given the fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire and they have a backup qb making his first start.

Except that they’re not a dumpster fire, you just made that up. They’re 5-6 the same as us and have HFA in a 1pm game that we’re terrible at. Honestly if this was a neutral site game against Andy Dalton’s Bengals it would be a toss up. The lack of Dalton makes us favourites but then that’s partially offset by them having HFA. 

27 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Except that they’re not a dumpster fire, you just made that up. They’re 5-6 the same as us and have HFA in a 1pm game that we’re terrible at. Honestly if this was a neutral site game against Andy Dalton’s Bengals it would be a toss up. The lack of Dalton makes us favourites but then that’s partially offset by them having HFA. 

They've been blown out in two consecutive home games and lost to Lamar Jackson. Barely beat Tampa with a +4 TO margin. It's become a dumpster fire. 

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Made that up??? They were 4 and 2 I believe. Losing 4 out of 5 the train is xoming off the track.

I remember a long time ago when the Broncos were a better than average team, who went into Cincinnati who was terrible at the time, yet Cory Dillon set a rushing record against the Broncos that day and they beat the f***ck out of the Broncos.  I don't think this is an easy game, and I am still not that confident in the Broncos yet.  They have had two nice games where they have eked out some wins. 

This is exactly the type of game that we always seem to lose - early game in the eastern portion of the country. On paper, we should beat the Bengals and beat them pretty handily. But we're coming off two flukey wins - Rivers throwing the ball into the ground late that allowed us to engineer the FG drive and then the Steelers turning the ball over four times, two of which we're just plain weird turnovers - I'm not buying the MHR/9News hype that we're suddenly a playoff contender. If we go into Cincy and win convincingly on Sunday morning, I will start to come around. 

The game plan here should be pretty simple - control the game by running early, often and throughout with Lindsay and Freeman, use some play-action off of that when the time calls for it. Stack the box on defense to control Mixon and the ground game, bracket cover A.J. Green with Harris and a safety and make Jeff Driskel beat you. Control the clock, control the LOS on both sides and we should win this. That said, it wouldn't shock me one bit to see Vance/Woods/Musgrave mess this up. 

This is exactly the type of game that we always seem to lose - early game in the eastern portion of the country. On paper, we should beat the Bengals and beat them pretty handily. But we're coming off two flukey wins - Rivers throwing the ball into the ground late that allowed us to engineer the FG drive and then the Steelers turning the ball over four times, two of which we're just plain weird turnovers - I'm not buying the MHR/9News hype that we're suddenly a playoff contender. If we go into Cincy and win convincingly on Sunday morning, I will start to come around. 

The game plan here should be pretty simple - control the game by running early, often and throughout with Lindsay and Freeman, use some play-action off of that when the time calls for it. Stack the box on defense to control Mixon and the ground game, bracket cover A.J. Green with Harris and a safety and make Jeff Driskel beat you. Control the clock, control the LOS on both sides and we should win this. That said, it wouldn't shock me one bit to see Vance/Woods/Musgrave mess this up. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It bear's repeating one more time.,

5 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Klis tweeted that Holland has been called up from the PS at the expense of AJ Johnson. Excited for him to see the field. 

I’m glad it’s worked out.  This is definitely the time with Barrett out and teams starting to poach 2019 speculative guys off other teams’ PS.   Johnson has some potential but a useful EDGE is 10x more valuable than an ILB unless that ILB is elite ceiling and I don’t think AJ is that guy.   I think he’s more PS-stashable than Holland regardless but even if he’s not it’s a much better long term move to keep a future EDGE than ILB unless there’s a massive talent diff and we haven’t seen that.    

I am super stoked to see what Holland can bring.  I doubt he does much this week given he literally got the call just now.  But we will get 4+ games after this week to see if he can contribute as the 4th EDGE.   I really would be surprised to see Barrett return in under 4 weeks hip flexor strains are killers to bounce back from quickly. 

More time to the kids.   All for it.  

Another good test this week. If we really are seeing a team change we should win handily. I think that will happen.

IMO, it’s taken this long for the players as a whole to embrace the coaching philosophy. If they have, we’re a pretty tough out.

It’s a simple philosophy, a bit boring but really effective. It’s what we used in the 70’s to finally become very competitive. Same thing we did to win our last SB.

Basically, it’s all about field position and physicality. Offensively move the chains, limit TO’s, beat ‘em up in the trenches and never give the other team a short field. Our D, even though not as strong or deep as our SB team still has a lot of playmakers. If any team constantly has to drive a long field to score our chances of sacks, int’s, fumbles, etc; increases incredibly. The 4 TO’s from Pitt, IMO aren’t a fluke. It’s a direct result of too many plays required to score. Saw it all the time against the “Orange Crush” in the 70’s.

We’re really starting to own the 2nd half. Easy to explain, we’re winning the 1 on 1’s on the OL and being pretty nasty about it. By the 4th Q nobody wants a part of our OL. Our “D” rotation is doing the same thing.

Anyway, just fundamental football, something I really enjoy. If we stay patient we should eventually run away with this. We’ll see won’t we.

BTW one point lost in the Holland activation - it likely means that Walker’s weakness of not being quick twitch enough for EDGE and his slow development as a DE (he needed to add bulk) is bearing fruit.    It’s not too late for him to help yet but for a Rd2 pick this isn’t at all a good result as he’s been a regular on the inactive list each week.  

I’d suspect he’s a roster bubble guy next offseason unless he can really progress.   

28 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW one point lost in the Holland activation - it likely means that Walker’s weakness of not being quick twitch enough for EDGE and his slow development as a DE (he needed to add bulk) is bearing fruit.    It’s not too late for him to help yet but for a Rd2 pick this isn’t at all a good result as he’s been a regular on the inactive list each week.  

I’d suspect he’s a roster bubble guy next offseason unless he can really progress.   

Unless he makes major strides in the offseason I cannot see the team using a roster spot on someone who has absolutely nothing since we drafted him. The guy is a bust, plain and simple, time to move on. 

Archived