Broncos @ Bengals GDT

broncosfan07

Put me in that group of people being glad we're winning, but don't think we will get to the playoffs. I am looking forward to watching our games at the moment, especially Phillip Lindsay who, without any doubt, is a special player.

Re: playoffs - this Defense, without CHJ, isn't good enough to carry the team to 4 wins. We still struggled to move the ball through the air and eventually we will face a team that won't allow us to get away with 7 first half points. I expect us to split our remaining games and finish 8-8 with losses to the Chargers and 49ers. That said, I wouldn't be surprised by 1-3 either.

The loss to the Jets is an absolutely sickener when you look how we've progressed since and how they have fallen apart.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Put me in that group of people being glad we're winning, but don't think we will get to the playoffs. I am looking forward to watching our games at the moment, especially Phillip Lindsay who, without any doubt, is a special player.

Re: playoffs - this Defense, without CHJ, isn't good enough to carry the team to 4 wins. We still struggled to move the ball through the air and eventually we will face a team that won't allow us to get away with 7 first half points. I expect us to split our remaining games and finish 8-8 with losses to the Chargers and 49ers. That said, I wouldn't be surprised by 1-3 either.

The loss to the Jets is an absolutely sickener when you look how we've progressed since and how they have fallen apart.

I'd think there is a higher probability of losing to the Raiders than the 49ers...if I were to guess at which of the remaining games the Broncos will lose...including the Chargers.  Who, however, if they are in the playoffs already and locked into a seating may rest their starters making the chances better for the Broncos...that's the best think I could imagine for the Broncos winning against the Chargers who seem to have no problem going on the road and winning and probably want some revenge against their loss to the Broncos (who Keenen said, "sucks")

FWIW IMO the game where we match up the worst besides LAC is CLE - fierce pass rush, talented skill players and a secondary that’s got an emerging CB in Ward.  And while Baker isn’t quite ready to be crowned yet as elite, he clearly should be a good QB (but his recent success before Week 13’s struggles was propped up by facing 3 bottom 5 pass D’s, 2 at home and that toothless CIN D) - just like his struggles at HOU aren’t a reflection of his present level, either, just the lumps rookies face, even on good teams with bright futures.   

Their T’s are hurting though which helps us immensely and playing at home makes that even harder.  So we will likely be favored and rightfully so.   But if there was a matchup that’s not in our corner CLE definitely fits the bill.  That’s a much different team without Hue Jackson at the top. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW IMO the game where we match up the worst besides LAC is CLE - fierce pass rush, talented skill players and a secondary that’s got an emerging CB in Ward.  And while Baker isn’t quite ready to be crowned yet as elite, he clearly should be a good QB (but his recent success before Week 13’s struggles was propped up by facing 3 bottom 5 pass D’s, 2 at home and that toothless CIN D) - just like his struggles at HOU aren’t a reflection of his present level, either, just the lumps rookies face, even on good teams with bright futures.   

Their T’s are hurting though which helps us immensely and playing at home makes that even harder.  So we will likely be favored and rightfully so.   But if there was a matchup that’s not in our corner CLE definitely fits the bill.  That’s a much different team without Hue Jackson at the top. 

And, it's a home game...doesn't look like Cleveland plays well away from Cleveland...I know they had their first victory on the road two weeks ago, but that was also against Cinncy. 

your guy's team seems so much better than the 10 other .500~ teams, you lost to some good teams and you beat some good teams.

your early & mid schedule was tough; and now you're chasing the Ravens who have a win on you & the tie-breaker

if you can make it in; you're a damned good team to be the 3rd from the West making the cut.

56 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

your guy's team seems so much better than the 10 other .500~ teams, you lost to some good teams and you beat some good teams.

your early & mid schedule was tough; and now you're chasing the Ravens who have a win on you & the tie-breaker

if you can make it in; you're a damned good team to be the 3rd from the West making the cut.

In reality we are chasing the Steelers...unless they right the ship, I can see the Ravens winning that division, which would gives us the tie breaker over the Steelers. 

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

In reality we are chasing the Steelers...unless they right the ship, I can see the Ravens winning that division, which would gives us the tie breaker over the Steelers. 

Well, unless we tie a game, the tiebreaker is moot - remember, PIT is 7-4-1 with the week 1 tie.  

PIT gets OAK, they're not losing that one, and it's very unlikely they're losing to CIN - that puts them at 9-6-1 worst-case (don't see them beating NO, NE at home, who knows).   Unless we think we are running the table (or we go 3-0-1), seems like a very farfetched scenario where we pass PIT.   Really, we have to pass BAL, and not have TEN or IND pass us, either.   So yeah, it's a tall order.

Just watching the all 22 at work now. The link below is a bit of a test for trying to upload GIFs (apologies for the quality - can't install .GIF makers on my work PC so had to record off my phone ...)

Testing whether this works ...

Anyway, it's a great play by Peko to split a zone stretch (look at the right arm placement to get beyond the Center), then he gets upfield and forces the big jump cut from Mixon. By that time, Wolfe has had time to go around his man and make the play.

Won't be able to do too in depth of an analysis, but some notes so far (half way through 2nd Q):

* Running a scheme to hide OL deficiencies. Lots of roll outs, play action, quick hitters. Bolles holding up very nicely in pass pro, Veldheer playing well, McGovern hold his own, Turner struggling with Atkins big time, Wilkerson doing ok.

* One or two miscommunications in the run game, but you can tell this OL is so much more comfortable when running the football. Sure, it's a fine art but it doesn't require the level of talent that pass pro requires. Turner, McGovern and Wilkerson is about as physical of an interior OL as you will see.

* Love the improvement from Lacosse in the run game. He's a very willing blocker and he's getting to Jake Butt's level of competency at it.

* Hard for our WR's to separate in the time we're getting the ball out in this scheme.

* Couple of gap assignments missed on runs by Mixon, notably by Gotsis and Jewell before he got hurt. Looks like we're getting the measure of them as the game has gone on.

* Simmons struggling to run with Boyd from the slot. Bengals missed a couple of opportunities here.

* Pass rush is applying consistent pressure in passing situations. Miller and Harris especially.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:49 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Just watching the all 22 at work now. The link below is a bit of a test for trying to upload GIFs (apologies for the quality - can't install .GIF makers on my work PC so had to record off my phone ...)

Testing whether this works ...

Anyway, it's a great play by Peko to split a zone stretch (look at the right arm placement to get beyond the Center), then he gets upfield and forces the big jump cut from Mixon. By that time, Wolfe has had time to go around his man and make the play.

Won't be able to do too in depth of an analysis, but some notes so far (half way through 2nd Q):

* Running a scheme to hide OL deficiencies. Lots of roll outs, play action, quick hitters. Bolles holding up very nicely in pass pro, Veldheer playing well, McGovern hold his own, Turner struggling with Atkins big time, Wilkerson doing ok.

* One or two miscommunications in the run game, but you can tell this OL is so much more comfortable when running the football. Sure, it's a fine art but it doesn't require the level of talent that pass pro requires. Turner, McGovern and Wilkerson is about as physical of an interior OL as you will see.

* Love the improvement from Lacosse in the run game. He's a very willing blocker and he's getting to Jake Butt's level of competency at it.

* Hard for our WR's to separate in the time we're getting the ball out in this scheme.

* Couple of gap assignments missed on runs by Mixon, notably by Gotsis and Jewell before he got hurt. Looks like we're getting the measure of them as the game has gone on.

* Simmons struggling to run with Boyd from the slot. Bengals missed a couple of opportunities here.

* Pass rush is applying consistent pressure in passing situations. Miller and Harris especially.

I'm really curious about our OL @lomaxgrUK. As you mention, in real time it's hard to focus on individuals and units. My impression is they're really physical, playing well as a unit and the individuals are winning way more 1 on 1's than they're losing. 

Has Bolles really progressed that much or is it just a false impression from the limited number of plays I see (10-15) each week? Anyway, if you get a chance I'd love to hear your impressions.  Thanks!

Archived