Matt LaFleur

dtait93

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Not excusing his calls. But let's not also act like players can't cover up the mistakes of a play caller. We've seen them on other teams.  

I'd like to imagine a better offensive line would produce a more consistent QB and a semblance of a running game. 

With those successes, play calls look better and Lafluer seems smarter. 

Let's be honest. If the first down runs were going for 4-5 yards, we wouldn't hate them as much. 

Like Marcus, I don't think Lafleur is going anywhere so let's figure out how to make him look the best he can. 

I think that calls for an upgrade overhaul of personnel that is proven to be a failure. 

If our personnel has to make LaFleur look better then he can take his *** back to LA. That’s so backwards. I’d rather not waste our time and would rather Marcus just start learning a new system under a new OC right now that would do what he’s actually supposed to do and that is make our personnel better.

And of course we would like the 4-5 yard runs. Because that would mean what we’re doing is actually working. But it’s not and he’s not adjusting. And it’s either because he’s too stubborn/prideful or he just doesn’t know how to and it’s costing our offense and I’m sick of it. I don’t want the personnel excuse. Your personnel just dropped 34 points 2 weeks ago. Do better than 10 points and 17 points because your personnel has shown it’s better than that.

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If our personnel has to make LaFleur look better then he can take his *** back to LA. That’s so backwards. I’d rather not waste our time and would rather Marcus just start learning a new system under a new OC right now that would do what he’s actually supposed to do and that is make our personnel better.

And of course we would like the 4-5 yard runs. Because that would mean what we’re doing is actually working. But it’s not and he’s not adjusting. And it’s either because he’s too stubborn/prideful or he just doesn’t know how to and it’s costing our offense and I’m sick of it. I don’t want the personnel excuse. Your personnel just dropped 34 points 2 weeks ago. Do better than 10 points and 17 points because your personnel has shown it’s better than that.

Keep in mind Matt Ryan struggled bad his 1st year under Kyle Shanahan & a lot of people question Kyle play calling. I get it you frustrated & you’re like me you want to win now, it takes time. the problem is we’re hoping Lafleur would come out the gate like McVay, but keep in mind McVag called plays in Washington & could lean under a offensive minded coach in Gruden. Vrabel on the other hand is a 1st time HC defensive minded  no experience & has a 1st time OC no experience. So Vrabel call the plays far as telling Matt let’s run it or pass it & Lafleur send the play back 

37 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Not saying it takes better personnel to make him look better, but better personnel would make him look better if they could make plays. 
My example is if we had say a roster where we could carry a FB and not have to have TE as a FB or if we had a better OL to block, that bad FB Stocker Dive call, might have worked and eliminated the groans of the call.

If we had a better running game, we could understand the first down runs a little easier, because they would be more consistent.  
I mean it's just seems to be a higher chance of success if we had more players that fit what we are actually trying to do. The Colts got better by adding changes to their OL. Adding a TE in Ebron, adding a RB in Hines.
Their additions fit and upgraded their production.

It all has to work together though. We have to make the right changes. Make the right additions. Make the right calls, and execute the plays.  

Not defending Lafleur at all. Just suggesting a way that could lead to him looking a lot better as a play caller. 
And again, it's not about adding All-Pro guys or billion dollar players, but if you look at the Bears they added a TE, 3 WRs (Draft, 2 FAs) and drastically changed their team. 
I'm hoping for some of that action. 

My biggest gripe is there seems to be a real disconnect between Vrabel always saying he wants to be aggressive and our offensive playcalls. Being aggressive is not running the ball repeatedly on first down when it clearly isn't working.  We actually started out the game with a play action on first down, and we looked like we were going to try to stretch the field in the pass game, and it was working. We moved the ball quickly and scored. Then we get up 10-0 and immediately go back to conservative run calls that haven't succeeded all year. The philosophies just aren't adding up. Being an aggressive coach is about more than going for it on 4th and 1. It's a philosophy that should be showing itself throughout an entire game in the playcalls, and that hasn't been happening. Marcus was throwing the ball well last night, and we essentially took the game out of his hands completely.

Anyone who praised the OL after the first Texans game wasn't watching it. They got absolutely reamed and Gabbert never held the ball longer than a couple seconds. We had zero running game outside of the wildcat.

They have been awful all year.

8 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

the crazy part that drives me crazy is that at times his brilliance flashes & calls a good game, or scheme ways to get our players involved but I don’t want him gone this early

I think for the first time in my FF life, I agree 100% with you. 

Never had I thought an OC to go from absolutely brilliant to downright idiotic... from one game to the next... one quarter to the next.. one play to the next.  This game is a perfect example... he had the offense churnin'... 10 points on the first 2 drives... in fact, up until that 4th down, our drives were churning out some yardage (granted, a chunk came on the PI, but still... that's a good play call and result):

1 15:00 OTI 25 6 3:13 62 Field Goal
2 1 10:08 OTI 31 2 0:47 69 Touchdown
3 1 05:21 OTI 25 4 3:30 16 Punt
4 2 14:53 OTI 25 9 5:17 72 Downs

Play calling was on point... passing on early downs...

• 1st down - pass, 8 yds
  • 2nd down - pass, 19 yards (1st down)
  • 1st down - pass - 33 yard PI (1st down)
  • 1st down - run, 2 yards
  • 2nd down - pass, incomplete
  • 3rd down - pass, 7 yards (4th down)
  • 4th down - FG

• 1st down - run, 8 yards
  • 2nd down - pass, 61 yards - TD

• 1st down - pass, 21 yards (1st down)
  • 1st down - run, 1 yard
  • 2nd down - run, 0 yards
  • False Start - Lewan
  • 3rd down - pass, 4 yards
  • 4th down - punt
  • (after a good 1st play of the drive, reverted to the run, run, penalty, pass we've grown so accustomed to)

• 1st down - QB keeper, 2 yards
  • 2nd down - run, 39 yards (wildcat end around to Davis) (1st down)
  • 1st down - QB keeper, 5 yards
  • 2nd down - pass, 3 yards
  • 3rd down - pass, 14 yards (1st down)
  • 1st down - run, 7 yards
  • 2nd down - QB keeper, -5 yards (Mariota should have thrown that way after stiff clowning Clowney)
  • 3rd down - pass, 7 yards
  • 4th down - good move to go for it... horrible play call... what happened to the QB sneak with Henry getting an extra push from behind if needed... no forget that... let's hand it off

the next drive even started good with back to back 1st down passes before the drive was derailed by a sack... but every single drive in the 2nd half (with the exception of the final drive down 17 with under 2 minutes) started with a run.  WTF, yo?!?!?! 

But anyway... I think we have to give him a 2nd year... it's really the only shot Mariota has of being successful next season.  If they change OC's once again, they might as well trade Mariota.  Either way, it would be his 4th different OC in 5 years as a pro (and 5th different OC in 6 years if you count his senior year). 

His failure to adjust is the nuber one complaint I have. Read an article today that pointed out that it seems like he has a game plan going into the game...oh that is all...that is what we do...period!!! Hopefully he does some serious self study this offseason and figures out how to make in-game adjustments.

I think we need to try blazing speed no huddle offense. Our subpar offensive line would benefit because the starters on the defensive line would have to sub or play tired. 

I feel like our intention on offense is to posses the ball and slow down the game...scoring touchdowns every possession should be the goal!!!! Also seems like the refuse to put the game in MM's hands until it is out of hand or very close, we have to see what he's got...sling it early and try and build a lead and play from in front...worked pretty well in the NE game.

14 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

His failure to adjust is the nuber one complaint I have. Read an article today that pointed out that it seems like he has a game plan going into the game...oh that is all...that is what we do...period!!! Hopefully he does some serious self study this offseason and figures out how to make in-game adjustments.

I think we need to try blazing speed no huddle offense. Our subpar offensive line would benefit because the starters on the defensive line would have to sub or play tired. 

I feel like our intention on offense is to posses the ball and slow down the game...scoring touchdowns every possession should be the goal!!!! Also seems like the refuse to put the game in MM's hands until it is out of hand or very close, we have to see what he's got...sling it early and try and build a lead and play from in front...worked pretty well in the NE game.

Failure to adjust? Like he even implemented the wildcat formation and they ran multiple type of plays with that look, most of them pretty succesfully. He had to win a game with no starting QB, both tackles out and a much, much decimated WR corps.

I get wanting to do better, there is always room for that, but some of your complaints are completely unreasonable.

Archived