Matt LaFleur

dtait93

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Failure to adjust? Like he even implemented the wildcat formation and they ran multiple type of plays with that look, most of them pretty succesfully. He had to win a game with no starting QB, both tackles out and a much, much decimated WR corps.

I get wanting to do better, there is always room for that, but some of your complaints are completely unreasonable.

I think he's getting at being one of the highest percentage running teams in the NFL, while having one of the least successful running offenses in the NFL.

If it's not working, maybe do it a little less, instead of at a rate greater than all but one other team in the NFL.

An adjustment would be something along the lines of this groundbreaking revelation: "Oh, we haven't been able to run the ball all season? Maybe I'll only run it about 40% of the time and throw more often on early downs to remain balanced while minimizing what we struggle with instead of running 50% of the time and at the highest first down rate in the NFL."

At one point early in the season we were running on first down more often than any other team and at the least successful rate. Most of us assumed that was because of the injuries, but outside of a couple games it hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

dont you think that would cause a power struggle?

Maybe, a person that came to mind, is a person like Dave McGinnis.  Now, he isn't an offensive guy. But he comes off a person that would just love to be involved with a team, not trying to be a head coach (been there done that). Doesn't want the stress of a title but would love to help. 
So someone with that kind of personality. Kind like how Tom Moore was for a while, with his teams. 

So finding that person, naming them assistant head coach and have them be the elder on the staff. 

On 11/27/2018 at 2:19 PM, KingTitan said:

The main thing I have to go by, is how the Rams look or looked. Before McVay and crew and after they came.

Now we know Goff turned it around, but lets also look at what moves they made to help make that happen.

They had an o-line of:

OT- Greg Robinson, OG- Rodger Stafford, C-Tim Barnes, OG-Cody Wichman and OT Rob Havenstein  (Not a who's who of talent).

Then when McVay came in they did this:

OT- Andrew Whitworth, OG Rodger Stafford, C-John Sullivan, OG- Jamaon Brown, OT-Rob Havenstein.  
They replaced 3 of their offensive line starters.  Went from 49 sacks to 28 sacks with the old and new lines.
1252 yards rushing to 1953 yards rushing.

Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt and Lance Kendricks as your starting pass catchers to Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Tyler Higbee/Gerald Everett.

3313 yards passing to 4023 yards passing. 
Last in offense to 1st in offense.

Now. We give McVay and his staff all the credit. They deserve it. But we can't discount the moves they made to accommodate that offense too. Would they still done the same with Britt and company? Don't think so, maybe.

Let's look at we did to accommodate our new offense.
Kept the same offensive line together.
We didn't go and get any new offensive weapons, we actually subtracted our offensive weapons to two undrafted FA's starting. 
Running game got worst.
Offensive line protection got worst.

So looking at all that we must not have the proper personnel to run this system.
There are no excuses for LaFleur's playcalling. I can only hope that the plays called would look better with different people. You can predict Walker breaking his ankle or Matthews quitting.
You assumed that Kline and Jones would do better in a zone scheme and they have not.

Only thing I feel hopeful about next season is change in personnel and helps LaFleur looks better.

Great post King. I keep saying the Titans need to be smart on where they try to add rookies and vets in Free Agency.

IMO the Titans arnt developing a young WR or young Linemen from the middle of the drafts so Titans can help LaFleur and Mariota by getting a Veteran Guard and a few veteran WRs. I don’t know how much Tate would command but he would be the ideal Free Agent to add. He’s a good compliment to Davis. We would still have Sharpe and Taylor

Titans first few picks need to continue to add to the defense specifically on the D-Line. The truth is this defense will never ever go anywhere no matter who plays CB if we can’t get a pass rush. I keep saying we can’t soley rely on LBs to get sacks when defenses are at their best it’s the D-Lines getting pressure without blitzing just go look what Minnesota did to Rodgers last Sunday night 

44 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Maybe, a person that came to mind, is a person like Dave McGinnis.  Now, he isn't an offensive guy. But he comes off a person that would just love to be involved with a team, not trying to be a head coach (been there done that). Doesn't want the stress of a title but would love to help. 
So someone with that kind of personality. Kind like how Tom Moore was for a while, with his teams. 

So finding that person, naming them assistant head coach and have them be the elder on the staff. 

if he’s not looking for full OC jobs, kubiak would be an amazing fit for something like this. but he could get hired as an OC basically anywhere he wants, so unlikely.

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I think he's getting at being one of the highest percentage running teams in the NFL, while having one of the least successful running offenses in the NFL.

If it's not working, maybe do it a little less, instead of at a rate greater than all but one other team in the NFL.

An adjustment would be something along the lines of this groundbreaking revelation: "Oh, we haven't been able to run the ball all season? Maybe I'll only run it about 40% of the time and throw more often on early downs to remain balanced while minimizing what we struggle with instead of running 50% of the time and at the highest first down rate in the NFL."

At one point early in the season we were running on first down more often than any other team and at the least successful rate. Most of us assumed that was because of the injuries, but outside of a couple games it hasn't changed.

Yes, I am talking about in-game adjustments.

I fully understand that we have actually had diffrent gameplans depending on the opponent...I am talking about the OC saying...well we are getting stuffed when we run on first down so lets change it up and pass on 4 strait 1st downs then maybe on the 5th first down we run a draw or something. 

Also I feel like he is giving LaFleur a lot of credit for the HOU win early on...not saying he shouldn't get some credit but special teams and Defense won that game. 

The bottom line is it seems to me like we run a certian script of plays whether we are down 17 or up 17 and I don't personally feel like that is a good thing. I have seen flashes of great play calling like NE, PHI, and DAL, just don't think that he is doing a good job of swithching up when it is not going well, like BAL, IND, BUF and much of the last HOU games. He is basically a rookie play caller and I think he has some promise but needs to learn to make in-game adjustments.

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Far as I can tell, we're not running at the highest rate in the league, which holds true for both overall and on 1st down plays. If we were indeed at some point earlier in the year, then that's an adjustment you're looking for.

Besides, I can't tell for sure, but I bet it's hard to transition into a heavy passing team when you have ONE above average receiving option to throw the ball to (well, maybe a healthy Taylor too and Dion if he should really count) and your pass protection has gotten visibly worse.

1 minute ago, Andrei01 said:

Far as I can tell, we're not running at the highest rate in the league, which holds true for both overall and on 1st down plays. If we were indeed at some point earlier in the year, then that's an adjustment you're looking for.

Besides, I can't tell for sure, but I bet it's hard to transition into a heavy passing team when you have ONE above average receiving option to throw the ball to (well, maybe a healthy Taylor too and Dion if he should really count) and your pass protection has gotten visibly worse.

I mean it’s not even transitioning into a heavy passing team, it’s simply just becoming more pass heavy on 1st down. It’s obvious the run heavy approach on 1st down hasn’t been working for, oh I don’t know, the entire season? I don’t understand how he’s not seeing that. Or maybe he is and he’s too stubborn. Now that would piss me off even more.

51 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Do you have that statistic? Because the last time I saw we were running at the second highest rate in the NFL.

Pass-blocking is bad... right. What about run-blocking?

38 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I mean it’s not even transitioning into a heavy passing team, it’s simply just becoming more pass heavy on 1st down. It’s obvious the run heavy approach on 1st down hasn’t been working for, oh I don’t know, the entire season? I don’t understand how he’s not seeing that. Or maybe he is and he’s too stubborn. Now that would piss me off even more.

My guess would be that especially on an offense that doesn't have the weapons to be able to effectively throw the ball at a high rate, they feel better about getting even those few yards we're getting on the ground, lowering the distance to go and getting into much more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. Even with running the football at a high rate on 1st down and on a low average, we're top 10 in average distance to go on 3rd down. So if that's indeed their reasoning, you could say it's been pretty effective.

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Do you have that statistic? Because the last time I saw we were running at the second highest rate in the NFL.

Pass-blocking is bad... right. What about run-blocking?

Yes, according to this, we're tied for 3rd in the league in rushing play percentage.

Well obviously, whole OL play has regressed, but then again, as I said in the post above, if you're really looking to try and understand what it is they're doing and maybe why, a negative run almost always beats a sack, and even a minor 1 or 2 yard gain will always beat an incompletion. After all, we're worst in the league in sacks allowed but only 20th in % of stuffed runs. Maybe that weighs in.

My assumption is that when he choses to run on 1st down mid 4th quarter down 17 points is that he assumes that the defense is expecting a pass...so he runs thinking we might get a positive run. The issue is he is outsmarting himself. The defense will allow the short to middle route and keep everything in front of them...he should just take that. 

I feel like the high number of sack is also partially due to the lack of in-game adjustments, not nearly entirely, but it is a factor. If we can't hold up for a 5 step drop...we should not keep calling those plays. We should be running quick hitters and rollouts. Definitely Marcus has to get better at recognizing defenses and have the ability to get us to a better play, just seems like our OC has no feel for what the defense is going to do from play to play, drive to drive.

I am not necessarily advocating for more passing, just saying that if the strait handoff running plays aren't working you have to be willing to change it up, just the same as you have to be willing to stick with the run if it is working. The truth is that LaFleur needs to get better just as much as Mariota, Davis, Jonnu, the entire line, and the RB's. 

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

My guess would be that especially on an offense that doesn't have the weapons to be able to effectively throw the ball at a high rate, they feel better about getting even those few yards we're getting on the ground, lowering the distance to go and getting into much more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. Even with running the football at a high rate on 1st down and on a low average, we're top 10 in average distance to go on 3rd down. So if that's indeed their reasoning, you could say it's been pretty effective.

Yeah except Marcus is averaging 7.9 YPA (career high) compared to our rushing attack only averaging 3.9 YPC.

Archived