The Great Playoff Debate

MWil23

Since right now people are debating about the playoffs, who gets in, who should get in, etc. in about 3-4 different threads right now, I figured I'd post this for everyone's convenience. I'm sure about 90% of the debate right now will be between OU and OSU fans, with the other 10% of the debate being from outside fanbases, including but not limited to:

*Snarky comments from @ramssuperbowl99

*memes and gifs from @ramssuperbowl99 and @jrry32

If there are no upsets it will likely be:

1 Bama

2 Clemson

3 UND

4 OU

A UGA upset over Bama likely would look something like:

1 Clemson 

2 UGA

3 UND

4 Bama 

(or flip flop 1/2 or 3/4 depending on what matchup the committee wants to see).

Inconsistency by OSU this year likely means their path is only with an OU loss and Bama win. 

18 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

1 Bama

2 Clemson

3 UND

4 OU

Inconsistency by OSU this year likely means their path is only with an OU loss and Bama win. 

This is the most likely scenario.  The Purdue loss will keep Ohio State out as long as Oklahoma gets their revenge on Texas.

Clemson will spank ND, Alabama will spank OU.  Alabama won't spank Clemson, but I don't think it will ever be in much doubt either.  Honestly, I don't know if any of those games get me to the TV if I have other stuff going on.

I'm honestly so torn on this. On the one hand, I'd love to see OU lose, OSU sneak in to play 'Bama, and probably get rolled, but there's always that slight chance that you have 4 weeks to prepare, the talent levels on both teams are more comparable than some believe, and you always have a puncher's chance.

On the other hand, I'd love to see complete Armageddon with Georgia upsetting Bama, both OU and OSU getting left out, and see whether or not the committee has the guts to have a Georgia/Bama rematch in the first round, or deliberately set up a Georgia at 2/3 and Bama at 4 scenario just to try to blatantly create a NC rematch. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

1 Bama

2 Clemson

3 UND

4 OU

A UGA upset over Bama likely would look something like:

1 Clemson 

2 UGA

3 UND

4 Bama 

(or flip flop 1/2 or 3/4 depending on what matchup the committee wants to see).

I cant' see anything wrong w/ this. I would complain had we played like we did last weekend, all year but we haven't. OU doesn't have a defense so they have no gripe either if left out. They're damn fun to watch on offense though. If you like that side of the game, I'm not sure anyone could deny that.

EDIT: I'm hoping for scenario 2 b/c I would LOVE to see us play OU (assuming we beat NW). That would be a hell of a game. O/U 110 lol

11 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

EDIT: I'm hoping for scenario 2 b/c I would LOVE to see us play OU (assuming we beat NW). That would be a hell of a game. O/U 110 lol

I believe that if we are left out of the playoff that we would go to the Rose Bowl and play the winner of Utah/Washington, right?

Prior to this past weekend, I wasn't for tOSU being mentioned in playoff talk but if is who the team really is and will be for the rest of they year, they have a chance against anyone. The question is this real tOSU, the NU game will show, and then its crap or get off the pot. But chip on shoulder tOSU is dangerous\

If the voters are confident this is the team moving forward, they are in

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm honestly so torn on this. On the one hand, I'd love to see OU lose, OSU sneak in to play 'Bama, and probably get rolled, but there's always that slight chance that you have 4 weeks to prepare, the talent levels on both teams are more comparable than some believe, and you always have a puncher's chance.

On the other hand, I'd love to see complete Armageddon with Georgia upsetting Bama, both OU and OSU getting left out, and see whether or not the committee has the guts to have a Georgia/Bama rematch in the first round, or deliberately set up a Georgia at 2/3 and Bama at 4 scenario just to try to blatantly create a NC rematch. 

I boycotted the playoffs last year. (Not saying OSU would have put up much of a fight) but it annoyed me greatly that they would pick an at-large team over a conference champ. If it happens two years in a row and they take a ratings beating like they did for two years in a row we will see an expansion to the playoff format. 

That is all 

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I just want to say, to both the OSU fans here and Urban Meyer's aorta, anything can happen. Anybody can beat anybody. There's nothing wrong with getting your hopes up. I mean OSU should probably be favored here tbh.

22 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I boycotted the playoffs last year. (Not saying OSU would have put up much of a fight) but it annoyed me greatly that they would pick an at-large team over a conference champ. If it happens two years in a row and they take a ratings beating like they did for two years in a row we will see an expansion to the playoff format. 

That is all 

Mastercheddaar

Thats cute. Boycotting a playoff to decide the best team. Because they invited the best 4 teams.

Archived