Tank or Try and Win Out (4-6-1 Edition)

AlexGreen#20

0-5 or 5-0  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Win out or Lose out

• Win the last 5 for a shot at the playoffs
    • Lose the last 5 for a shot at a top 8 pick

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Easy. You want to lose out. It hurts. It sucks. It goes against your fandom. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth. I could go on. 

It's also the best thing that could happen for this squad come 2019. 

Kinda where I'm at. I don't see 5-0 with this team and I don't see the Seahawks and Panthers going 2-3 in their next 5.

Reset this thing. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just thought it would be interesting to gather some consensus on the board. 

At the moment, we're fighting for the last wild card spot with the Panthers and Seahawks. The Bears will win the division and the Vikings are very likely to get the first wildcard spot over us with the tiebreaker.

We need to go 5-0 against (Cardinals, Falcons, at Bears, at Jets, Lions) All of those are winnable games with at Bears being the game that could define our season. Lions and Falcons at home are also both definitely loseable games.

We need both the Panthers and the Seahawks to go 3-2.

And the Skins. I know they have McCoy at QB now, but still need them to go 3-2 and their schedule isn't horrendous so it's not a given. 

Fun Fact of the Day: Packers and 49ers are the only teams left in the NFL without a road win. :)  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I want the team to go 5-0 or 4-1.  

Problem is...this is a poor football team.  If I look at it objectively....

We don't outcoach anyone.  We don't X and O our way into victories.

We don't outhustle or outhit anyone.  Our energy isn't very high.

We tend to not get takeaways, yet somehow we will give the ball away at a critical time and that isn't via an INT.

We are quite banged up.

Objectively, we win 1 of the next 5 games.  We just aren't that good.  Thinking we get a W against Arizona.  

I want to say we can take down Detroit at Lambeau, but they seem to play well against us and we may be suiting up Ashwaubenon seniors for that game.

I looked at our upcoming schedule and I see us winning 3 of the of the next 5 games:  AZ, SF and the Jets.  These teams are even worse than we are.  The Falcons are an enigma.  They are carbon copies of us.  They have a good QB and offense but they too are finding ways to lose games this year.  We might win that one because it is at home.  The Bears will take the division.  That defense is legit.  Who knows with the Lions.  You might be right.  By week 17 we might not have enough bodies to suit up.  How we screwed that game in Detroit in week 5 is just nuts.  So if we win 3 more games we'll end up 9-4-1.  

Edit:  I don't know why I thought we were playing the 9ers this year.  My bad.  :$

Definitely win out.  Way more important to end the year with some confidence and momentum heading into next year.   Would love to see the D get a little more consistent and tighten up in the red zone.   Going into next year so much better finishing with confidence in D rather than picked 6 spots earlier.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I looked at our upcoming schedule and I see us winning 3 of the of the next 5 games:  AZ, SF and the Jets.  These teams are even worse than we are.  The Falcons are an enigma.  They are carbon copies of us.  They have a good QB and offense but they too are finding ways to lose games this year.  We might win that one because it is at home.  The Bears will take the division.  That defense is legit.  Who knows with the Lions.  You might be right.  By week 17 we might not have enough bodies to suit up.  How we screwed that game in Detroit in week 5 is just nuts.  So if we win 3 more games we'll end up 9-4-1.  

Detroit throttled us 24-0 in the first half... we didn't screw anything up imo, were just clearly the worse team that day. 

Scenario 1: If we do happen to run the table, our focus is on the Seahawks, Panthers and Redskins (assuming the No. 5 spot to Minnesota). All 3 teams must go 3-2 or worse. 

SeaChickens Last 5: 49ers (H), Vikings (H), 49ers (A), Chiefs (H), Cardinals (H)

Panthers Last 5: Bucs (A), Browns (A), Saints (H), Falcons (H), Saints (A)

Skins Last 5: Eagles (A), Giants (H), Jags (A), Titans (A), Eagles (H)

The obvious problem here is Seattle. They have 3 automatic wins vs SF and Arizona. That leaves 2 games, both at home. If they don't lose both home games to Minnesota and KC, it doesn't matter what we do. They by far have the easiest path. 

Panthers: they catch a huge break having to play at NO in Week 17 where NO could be resting some starters if they have the No. 1 seed locked up. Either way, the rest of their schedule isn't easy and I could see them losing either road game and to the Saints in Carolina. I think 3-2 is best case for the Panthers.

Skins: Wildcard because of backup QB. 3 road games should mean at least 1 loss if not more. Best case, probably 3-2. 

Prediction: 9-6-1, even if achieved, won't get it done for GB because I think Seattle will finish 10-6. I see them going 4-1 on the way out, losing only to the Chiefs. 

Scenario 2: Building off of Scenario 1, the wildcard is Minnesota. We need them to go 2-3 on the way out to finish 8-7-1. 

Vikings Last 5: Patriots (A), Seahawks (A), Dolphins (H), Lions (A), Bears (H). 

The Vikings/Seahawks game could mean everything for GB (assuming we do the hard part and win 5 in a row). If Seattle wins, it should be back-to-back losses for the Vikings with 3 weeks to play. We'd then need them to lose one of the final 3. The prime opportunities are the Lions (A) and Bears (H), with the latter game being the better candidate given the match-up. Again, the question will be, will the Bears need that game? Probably not. 

6 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Detroit throttled us 24-0 in the first half... we didn't screw anything up imo, were just clearly the worse team that day. 

But we turned the ball over a ton and Crosby had his worse day as a Pro.  If Mason makes even 2 of those we win even if Detroit throttled us in the first half.

I don't care which misguided excuse anyone has, if you want a team to tank you deserve to be a fan of the Browns or Cardinals.  The more the players on your team lose, the more losing is common to them.  Losing got the Packers a whole lot of great things from the 70's to the 80's.  A whole lot of high draft picks.  Saying it's the best thing for this team is really damn stupid, too.  No it ain't.  The best thing for this team is to continue to win and grow in this league and get better in this league, and you don't get better at winning by losing. 

This whole thread grosses me out. 

11 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But we turned the ball over a ton and Crosby had his worse day as a Pro.  If Mason makes even 2 of those we win even if Detroit throttled us in the first half.

I see what you're saying but falling short to make a 24pt comeback in the 2nd half doesn't quantify as screwing up. But nonetheless I don't really expect a positive outcome this next game with the way we're playing. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't care which misguided excuse anyone has, if you want a team to tank you deserve to be a fan of the Browns or Cardinals.  The more the players on your team lose, the more losing is common to them.  Losing got the Packers a whole lot of great things from the 70's to the 80's.  A whole lot of high draft picks.  Saying it's the best thing for this team is really damn stupid, too.  No it ain't.  The best thing for this team is to continue to win and grow in this league and get better in this league, and you don't get better at winning by losing. 

This whole thread grosses me out. 

I don't have much of a problem with people wanting a reset. Long term picture vs short term. I personally want to see as many wins as possible, and will cheer for a win, but if we lose all 5 at least there's a silver lining. Everyone is a fan in their own way and I respect their opinions

I very much agree with the bolded though

It would be a big difference if Rodgers went down for the season against the Bears. With Kizer we are likely a bottom 5 team and in that case I might find myself bending the rules a bit and cheering for a top 5 pick. 

But with Rodgers there is always hope. And even if we lose this weekend and we're essentially eliminated, I still want to see Rodgers win games. There are too few seasons left to watch him

Archived